Jets career playoff wins compared to the rest of the NFL during the Super Bowl Era

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETFUEL1580, Jun 19, 2022.

1. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

For an organization that gets a lot of shit for most of its existence, and some of it fair, the Jets as a whole have done pretty well in overall playoff wins in the Super Bowl era (1966). I came across this chart and thought it would be fun to share it with the forum. The Jets have 12 playoff wins which is very respectable, and a few other things stuck out as well when looking at this list.

* The Lions are a laughing stock. For an organization that has had 12 playoff appearances in the SB era and to only have 1 win is insane. They've had some pretty decent teams with great individual players as well. Funny thing is that the one win was against the Cowboys in 1991 right before they won back to back Super Bowls.

* Another Midwest iconic team in the Bears have less wins then the Jets. The overall perception of the Bears during this era revolves around the 1985 team. The Bears have had some iconic names (Butkus, Sayers, Payton, Singletary) and personalities but only 10 wins to show. I honestly for whatever reason thought they had more. I was fooled.

* Freaking Baltimore Ravens have 16 wins overall while not retaining any of the Browns wins or records overall. They started out in 1996 and made the playoffs for the first time in 2000 and have 16 playoff wins in 22 years that amazing. They have more wins in that span then the original and modern day Cleveland Browns overall by more then double.

The rest of the teams above nobody can be to surprised about. Vikings, Eagles and Seahawks for instance most will understand. Add the Titians/Oilers, and the Buffalo Bills success with 4 straight Super Bowl appearances and a few playoff games since then, especially lately. That's no surprise. As much shit as the Jets take that's a pretty damn good win total overall and I think most would be surprised by it.

#1 JETFUEL1580, Jun 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
  2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

... and Mark Sanchez captained 33% of those wins.

azhar80, Royal Tee, PJ4Ever and 4 others like this.
  3. JETFUEL1580

Yes this is true.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Not to piss on your corn flakes, but being 20th out of 32 teams isn't what I consider "pretty well". And considering that the Jets have the worst record of all the original AFL teams in that time is even more frustrating (Houston Texans were not the original AFL Houston entry, the Tennessee Titans as the Houston Oilers had that distinction).

You're looking at a glass that's 3/4 empty and seeing it as "almost half full".

#4 ColoradoContrails, Jun 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    PJ4Ever, SOJAZ and Ralebird like this.
  5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

So the Jets rank 20 out of 32 during that span. Not horrendous, but still pretty bad. And that is history.

What about currently? No playoff wins since 2010, no playoff appearances either. Awful. That needs to change and fast.

6. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Correct. It is bottom half. I guess the overall point is, this organization is not the disaster that recent times would indicate it is?

azhar80 and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think the point was for a team considered a laughing stock in the NFL in terms of success (often the jets, lions, and browns are the 3 shit on the most) realistically we are just slightly below average

8. JETFUEL1580

Well my point as some posters have already mentioned and my very first sentence indicated for a "laughing stock, snake bitten, little brother" of an organization, we're better then some teams that had "far superior" talent overall. Examples being Lions, and Bears which I specifically pointed out. This was meant to share a tiny light of brightness and show we're not that worst like some might have you think it is. Hell, the Bengals added 3 more playoff wins and have had 3 Super Bowl appearances and are still a good number of games below us.

#8 JETFUEL1580, Jun 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    Royal Tee likes this.
  9. JETFUEL1580

I appreciate you seeing my actually point bro. I honestly thought I explained it in my original post.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  10. JETFUEL1580

Exactly, if you would mention the Jets to most football fans they would think this organization is at the bottom. While certainly not high, it's not a complete joke considering our overall talent and dysfunction.

11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Historically the Jets have been below average but not the worst. But in the last decade, the Jets have been the worst.

mrjet80 and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  12. JETFUEL1580

This assessment is correct totally

mrjet80 and Dierking like this.
  13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

We still have the Lions sucking worse than us. Maybe still the Browns. And the Jaguars and Panthers. That’s about it.

14. JETFUEL1580

How about the Raiders as well. I was not expecting that win total. Granted, they had a great 70's and early 80's run, had a mostly down 90's and have been putrid since 2002 in every way. Yet they still sit at #6 in wins is crazy. Colts still have Baltimore's old numbers so that makes sense as does the Dolphins.

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Needless to say we've been horrible in the last ten years... 63 wins in that time frame.

We need to step it the fuck up this year... :mad:

azhar80 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

That record is exactly why Jets fans are so pessimistic. Brutal :(

I really think Joe Willie made a deal with the devil. From our recent injury history to Dennis Byrd and Greg Knapp it makes you wonder.

#16 cval, Jun 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Dennis Byrd not Chris Byrd

There is no curse, poorly run football organizations lose football games

Ralebird, mrjet80 and cval like this.
  18. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I am getting old thank you for the correction. Chris Byrd is a Boxer :(

BrowningNagle likes this.
  19. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

I understand the point of your original post. And I agree with your premise. The Jets have been bad more than good but are not bad enough to the point of the media’s exaggeration in comparison with some other teams.

I too was surprised with the Bears. That’s because the first thing most people think of is their dominance of 1985. Throw that out the window and their cubbard is basically bare since the 60s.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Bears have been a lot more successful than our Jets. For example if this graphic looked at "Division titles in the SB Era" instead of playoff wins, the Bears would be at 11 and our Jets 4.

Half of the Jets playoff wins in this graphic are wildcard wins. If you win the division you don't even get a wildcard game and the Bears did that 7 more times than our Jets, missing out on opportunities to pad the stats for this graphic with wildcard playoff wins
    --

The Jets are among the dregs of the league with Cincinnati, Detroit & Arizona, but considering they are all small market teams and the NEW YORK Jets, we stand out from that group