It’s not politics, it’s history

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by KingRoach, Jun 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Yep, I have friends and family on both sides that do the same. Pretty sad when supposedly well educated people can't take a little time to actually think about who they vote for.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

For a long time it has felt to me like people were choosing political parties like they would choose a sports team, and their partaking in the arguments was not a lot different than sports trash talk. This forum can be like that.

I heard both Democrats and Republicans before the 2016 election saying with pretty high frequency that they were voting for the lesser of two evils. Both.

This shitty system is rooted into our country like a giant space tick and will not let go until it is dead.

stinkyB, Acad23, The Waterboy and 3 others like this.
  3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

And yet Americans are bipartisan in their ability to flagellate themselves over the sheer interstellar divine brilliance of our Constitution that birthed this tick. Why are people so blind?

stinkyB and abyzmul like this.
  4. The Waterboy

And the sad part many of them only worry because they lost, not because of what positive change may have come about from one side or the other. Not that we see much of that these days from recent administrations.

I could probably be in that group of voting for the lesser evil. More in the mind set, I thought the policies on all sides were shit and just wanted to try to figure which could do less damage.

It would hurt too many people but the country probably has no choice but to go the factory reboot route. Getting bled dry like we currently are will hurt more in the long run. The factory reboot doesn't make the pols money though.

stinkyB and abyzmul like this.
  5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

They're blind because the Constitution is easily viewed as an affirmation of almost any political belief that you have.

This is partly because it's easy to say that it is 235 years old and so the beliefs that the founders had match your beliefs as modified by the age. It's also been amended and changed many times in the intervening years and so the other argument is that as a living document it best meets the needs of a changing society.

The reality is that most African-Americans in the USA were slaves at the time the Constitution was written. They counted for 5/8ths of a person and 0/8's of a vote at that time (as encoded in [HOLY AURA]The Constitution[/HOLY AURA]. However because the states chose who was eligible to vote many non-slaves had no vote either. In fact in some states you could be fairly successful and still not meet the criteria to vote.

The USA was under constant attack from foreign powers at the time the Constitution was written and we were also constantly attacking and displacing native Americans. Wolves and bears and mountain lions, oh my, lived in many of the US states. In this context the 2nd Amendment was just common sense. You really did need a citizen militia to defend the body popular and of course people not living in cities and towns needed to be able to shoot varmints, human and otherwise. That context has been totally lost over the years but the 2nd Amendment has not been re-amended to note that fact. The founding fathers definitely did not intend for the citizenry to accumulate enough power to kill classrooms full of children nor to present any real threat to the government.

These (the right to vote and own firearms) are just two of probably a thousand other basic rights, privileges and procedures that the average person can look at and conclude that their version of the text is right, even as others directly opposed do the same.

And thus you have blindness writ large over the citizenry.

6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

When are they going to nail Trump for the Russian collision? They have the dossier and stuff.

Acad23 likes this.
  7. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Yeah--they got him dead to rights on golden showers the little perv. Oh wait, maybe that's ok now come to think of it.

bicketybam likes this.
  8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

https://news.ku.edu/2015/04/13/stud...tics-sports-rivalries-instead-focusing-issues

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

JetBlue likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Politics might be a little better once all the boomers die off. It’s a selfish generation.

It’s like this thing with Trump. They cannot fathom that they might’ve lost an election, that people could simply disagree, it has to be fraud or a conspiracy. That’s selfish thinking

11. bicketybam

Like when Hillary lost. Everyone accepted that without excuse or question.

FJF, Acad23 and JetBlue like this.
  12. Br4d

The dossier is feeling more and more like a plant as the years go by. I mean if you're Putin and you actually have a grip on Trump somehow you really want that to look like some kind of sex-based blackmail so people don't focus on the financial relationship which is much more likely to be the real deal.

13. bicketybam

Hahahahahahaha! Ok! Keep grasping at straws.

What brand of tinfoil do you use for your hats?[​IMG]

#173 bicketybam, Jun 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember the Pussy hats storming the capital likes it was yesterday.

it’s really hard for me to remember why the GOP didn’t investigate after it came out Hillary’s propaganda machine was proactively spreading lies about the election and collaborated with elected officials to try and overturn the election.

I guess they really like her.

Sidenote: does the GOP see Hillary as a super villain? 30 years of investigations and yet she still walks fee.

15. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I don’t know if it’s boomers as they lived Thru Nixon, plus a whole generation is hard to group into 1 thought collective.

I blame it on the undereducated. Unfortunately with the underfunding of Public Education for generations, I don’t see us getting any smarter as a society anytime soon.

Ralebird likes this.
  16. Br4d

Yep.

The GOP has been cutting education funds since Brown Vs BoE in 1954. Separate but Equal was a lie and once the lie got exposed they started cutting across the board.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. The Waterboy

The Boomers are selfish? First let me say that labeling 70 million people is ridiculous, thinking I have anything in common with a 75 year old just based on the years we were born is just inane. I also don't think they are near as selfish as the current younger generations. I have seen more young people with their hand out lately than I ever remember seeing before.

One way politics can get better is with term limits and overturning of Citizen's United but neither of those will happen any time soon. Both sides are too indebted to corporations and the ultra wealthy, why would they vote to turn off their money streams. Now there are organizations working toward getting the 34 states needed to propose a congressional term limit amendment but there is still a long way to go. Unfortunately if Citizens United stays, even term limits will not help, corporations will just target the next slate of candidates.

Ralebird likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

They didn’t need to. The Democrats spent 2.5 years investigating the Russian collusion hoax where it was revealed to be a bunch of bullshit. Hence where bicketys comments come from in saying there was obviously not acceptance when Hilary lost.

Two failed impeachment attempts tell the whole story as to how accepted the results of the election was.

bicketybam likes this.
  19. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Not a great strategy...underfund Education and have the best and brightest live in China

Underfund Mental Health and have unrestricted Gun Laws ..and we see the results from that!

Br4d likes this.
  20. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

The impeachments were more of a result of trump's behavior than any denial of his victory being legitimate. Especially the 2nd one which happened after he lost.

Whether people thought he was a legitimate president, from a respect standpoint, is a different story. But pretty sure you'll find people from both sides who have called various presidents illegitimate because they aren't the person they wanted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.