Can the Jets TRUST Mekhi Becton in 2022?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Thank you for you well thought out reply.

It’s my understanding

——-based article and this quote “Such regulations do not apply to team physicians or trainers employed by an organization or franchise these medical officials are not subject to HIPAA, but to their employer.” -

that the entity you described in your post is not covered by HHIPA. Since “The Jets” for example are not a medical profession and not covered by HIPPA they can share whatever medical information they want.

“The second half of the Deadspin article discusses medical privacy law other than that guaranteed by HIPAA and references both the Ezekiel Elliott and Jason Pierre Paul cases.” ——- no it doesn’t, seriously?

“It’s not the first time a prominent NFL player’s HIPAA rights have been called into question.“

I’m not aware of any medical privacy law outside of HHIPA, so feel free to educate me.

The article goes on to talk about Zeke and JPP and about how Schefter didn’t violate HHIPA bc he’s not a medical professional. I just re read it and can’t find anything about other medical privacy laws.

Edit: HIPAA I don’t want using the wrong acronym to distract you.

blackssmagic likes this.
  2. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Only problem I have with what you said is that it appears they are contradictory.

replace appears with 10000% are

KingRoach likes this.
  3. Stevied

It’s beyond baffling that there’s a school of thought on here that Becton had a phantom complication. And if he did, it hasn’t been leaked because Becton would then sue the Jets and own the franchise.
    10 months post surgery and we’re still waiting for the complications to leak out. They won’t be

REVISion likes this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

You don't need to agree with me and I'm not going to repeat what I already explained to you - I guess I did not type slowly enough.

But look at the part I bolded - do you really not understand that the individual medical practitioners employed by the Jets are not bound by the regulations of HIPAA but the team ("their employer") is?

And how is it that you totally missed this section from the article?

“Reporting something to the media outside of all of those proper channels is not appropriate,” said Sessions.

“We used to see a lot in California with celebrities when they would go into the hospital,” continued Sessions. “There was information released about them that was without permission, so the state of California took some pretty significant action at that point to make it be higher penalties to healthcare employers who released that type of information without the permission of the patient.”

In recent years, California amended its Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (CMIA) under former Governor Jerry Brown, which forced employers to protect the security and privacy of employee health information that wasn’t covered under HIPAA.

In 2002, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services attempted to put to rest any debate as to whether or not a public figure’s medical records should be kept private or made accessible to the public. According to the Health Works Collective, the department decided to reinforce its policies and released a statement saying, “No class of individuals should be singled out for reduced privacy.”

Elliott could find himself in a similar position as Pierre-Paul and pursue litigation against the physician and/or medical facility where he was tested for the coronavirus. But again, any litigation would have to come under general privacy law or a specific state statute, not HIPAA."​

It's not my problem that you're unaware of the fact that privacy laws exist all over and have for a very long time. If you want to play stupid games play them by yourself but if you're incapaple of reading and understanding a short article, that's on you, not me.

5. Stevied

I’m with you, but even if HIPAA applies here- violations of it appears to be akin to going 26 in a 25. I’ve seen countless press conferences over the years where a head coach says, “Player X has a torn right rotator cuff. He’ll have surgery tomorrow to repair it and should be back in x months.”

That’s said to members of the press, in public, who will report it to the mass public. Technically that’s a violation, no? Ain’t much they left out in what I quoted, yet I’ve never heard of a single filed lawsuit due to that, let alone a settled/victorious one.

And to hit this home, Saleh actually said that ABOUT BECTON last year. Injury type, Procedure, recovery time. Now I know Saleh isn’t a doctor, but I believe if a doctor tells someone who then turns Around and publicly announces it, that would technically be in breach. But guess what? Saleh, the Jets and the doctor were NOT sued. But now, there’s a fear that they might be for citing a complication that
    would actually serve to benefit Becton in the public eye?

#485 Stevied, Jun 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    blackssmagic likes this.
  6. KingRoach

No, it’s not a violation bc non medical individual and companies have no obligations to keep medical information private.

As mentioned, the article said something to the effect of Adam Schefter is not liable for any violations bc he is not a medical professional.

It’s not that complicated, here’s an example.

Let’s say Ralebird confides in me that he’s been diagnosed as being mentally challenged. Since I’m not a medical professional, I am not held by any medical privacy laws.

Since the Jets are also not medical professionals, they are also not held back by medical privacy laws (including the medical sraff) Make sense?

Stevied likes this.
  7. Stevied

I get that. But per your example.. I’m ralebirds Dr. And I diagnose him, I then tell you. That’s a violation right? Then if you have a press conference and tell ppl, he’ll wanna know how you know that right? You’d give me up, and down I, Ralebirds Dr. go, right?

#487 Stevied, Jun 22, 2022
  8. KingRoach

Their employer aka The Jets isn’t a medical professional therefore they aren’t help by privacy laws.

9. Stevied

Gotcha, so the “the jets are afraid Becton will sue them for violating HIPAA by revealing his complication” is bullshit?

10. KingRoach

Correct, you as a medical professional would be bound to keep Ralebird’s mental handicap private; I, as a non medical professional, am not.

It would be pretty scummy of me to rat you out, bc yeah, you’d probably be fucked.

Since the Jets is not a medical professional so it is not bound.

11. KingRoach

Complete and utter bullshit. Not based on even a hint of reality.

Stevied likes this.
  12. Stevied

well then shouldn’t that of happened last year than? The lawsuit? Since saleh spoke about it, time frame etc..Becton should have pressured him and filed motions etc to make saleh give it up that the Dr. Told gom
    smart suma bitch you are

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Being overweight after not being around the team for 6 months and being too big/heavy to practice are 2 entirely different things IMO. I think because he didn't practice, you're inferring that he's too big to practice, which, as I alluded to in my last post, could absolutely end up being the case.

I really don't think what he did at Minicamp had anything to do with his weight. We've seen them be overly cautious all offseason and yet when they're overly cautious with Mekhi, it's because he's too big to practice.

Again, you're perfectly entitled to your opinion. I even agree with your opinion to a certain extent (Mekhi's gotta get to the weight the CS wants him at and be ready to roll by TC) but I draw the line at making a mountain out of a molehill in mid-June.

14. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

[​IMG]

RochesterJet likes this.
  15. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Even if HIPPA applies, I can't believe Becton and his agent wouldn't agree to let the team disclose any complications delaying his return to the field. It's in Becton's interest to disclose any such setbacks.

If, in fact, complications are delaying his recovery but fans don't know about these setbacks, they're going to draw the kind of inferences we've seen on this thread for nearly the last year: Becton's a fat, out-of-shape loafer who isn't exactly busting his ass to get back on the field. Disclosure of complications in his recovery would change that narrative.

REVISion, blackssmagic and Stevied like this.
  16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I did not read one post saying there was no concern. The only "defense" is let's wait and actually see him play before cutting him.

Do you think we should just cut him now?

Ralebird and KY Jets Fan like this.
  17. Stevied

Let’s say that the Jets announced he had a complication that was delaying him, can you imagine the public backlash Becton would get if he actually sued NYJ for disclosing something that would help his public standing?

#497 Stevied, Jun 22, 2022
  18. Stevied

Well, when people, a few of them btw, have posted they are chalking up his extended absence to recovery from his surgery, “not seeing evidence” he’s badly overweight, and they expect him to be ready to roll come day 1 TC, does that sound like they are concerned to you?

Nope, we shouldn’t cut him. We’ve cast our lot with him presently.

If it were up to me? I’d see what I could get for him-sure there isn’t much-while simultaneously exploring the trade/FA market and bringing in a guy who can play the Morgan Moses role.

The book ain’t written completely on him, and he can still change things, but my faith is dwindling.

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

At this point, it is really up to him. I don't like the fact he is conceding so easily to give up the left tackle spot. If Fant can hold down left tackle and a fat Becton can play decently at right tackle it may work out. A 75% motivated Becton maybe enough.

20. Stevied

Your lips to God’s ears.

cval likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.