The Official Fishing Thread is here!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Cman68, Mar 26, 2013.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

175lb sailfish?!?!
    that's world record potential o_O

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Atlantic record is 142 lbs. The Pacific record is 221 lbs. 175 is a massive sailfish.

stinkyB likes this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Maybe it wasn't a sail, but it was counted in the score though. Tourney comes on Saturday Mornings on DTV. This one was in the GoM just off a oil rig. I'm pretty sure the weight is right though. Everyone was trying to catch a Blue Marlin for the points. I try to catch the show every Saturday AM.

#1983 Cman68, Jun 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  4. Cman68

North or South shore?

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

6. stinkyB

Lived directly in the middle, but grew up fishing out of Captree / Babylon / Democrat Point and Cedar Beach.
    I think his boat is in Bayshore
    My brother lives rt over the bridge from Long Beach

7. Cman68

I would love to fish Great South Bay or the Atlantic side of the south shore. Used to fish out of Pt. Lookout and Jones Beach Jetty back in the day. You might wanna consider a visit this summer. Especially when the Fluke, Ling, Blues and Stripers are all over the place just waiting for their next meal.. :)

8. bicketybam

How did you get your start with salt water fishing? Was it something your dad did and you learned from him or did you just decide it was something you would like to try?

My step dad loved salt water offshore fishing and when he married my mom he started taking my brother and I to Miami once a year to fish. He would charter a boat and we would go out and catch bonita, dolphinfish, barracuda, wahoo, king mackerel, shark and the occasional bill fish. My dad always took those though. I'll never forget getting kicked out of the seat when a sailfish hit.

He also took us to the local lake when we were little and taught us how to fish with a Zebco, bobber and worm. I then took it from there once I got older and now I consider myself a pretty good fresh water fisherman. Since all the salt water I did was on a chartered boat I have almost no experience when it comes to doing it myself. But I am enjoying the learning process. A lot of things carry over from freshwater which is nice.

Anyway, you obviously love fishing and I was curious about how that came to be.

9. Cman68

I come from a long line of fishermen on my mom's side of the family. Had an Aunt and Uncle in Brooklyn that used to go out to Rockaway and bank fish. Me and my cousins tagged along. I couldn't have been older than 10. Then the family had an outing on a headboat out of Sheepshead Bay for mackeral. I caught the big fish but I wasn't in the pool. We fished out by Ambrose lighthouse off Jersey. My uncle used to fish out of City Island in the Bronx. Took me bank fishing in my teens. He also had a beautiful fish tank in his apt. I often wondered how the hell he got it in there.. I guess I was always drawn to Saltwater as NYC is a archipelago surrounded by saltwater. I didn't see any fresh water until I went to summer camp upstate NY by Port Jervis. Learned how to catch blue gill with bread balls.. Then in later years, I would go out of Sheepshead Bay for Blues. Started making trips to the Jersey Shore about that time too. Then after a stint in the Military overseas and living in Arizona, I missed fishing so living in Chicago, it was a easy trip to lake Michigan and the Wisconsin Dells. Nice water, not much fish..
    Long story short, wound up here in Central PA. I actually have a deep v outboard I don't use anymore more as I live downstream from the decommissioned 3-mile Island Nuke Plant. Fished the Susquehanna until we notice just how foul the fish we caught were. The ring around the boat really didn't help our impression of that river. There's a Army Corps lake about 60mi from me called Blue Marsh. Used to be a great place to fish but people kept taking shorts and PA DNR decided to stop stocking the lake with anything other than Trout. They now call that lake "The Dead Sea". So, we were left with no other choice other than the Jersey coast if we wanted to fish. For my wife, it was new as she grew up in Rural Western Missouri and was a Crappie killer. She applied that touch to Black Sea Bass and is absolutely lethal. I do get to fish sweetwater when we go visit her brother in Missouri. He has a bass boat and we go out on a lake called Truman Reservoir. Trust me, its heaven for sweetwater fishing. Even the bluegill get close to 8in or larger. Crappie can get to 13-15". Unfortunately when the Gar are spawning, the lake gets shut down as everything is hiding from them. Lots of big Carp too.

Me? fishing the Jersey Coast was a bit of a homecoming as it was what I grew up with. I've fished LIS too for both Blues and Porgies with great success. Its just easier to drive to the Jersey coast than NYC. Fishing is my passion. Took wifey a few years to understand its part of my makeup now. She gets mad with every new purchase however, she gets it when I can sell my gear and get good money for them.

Well Bickety, that's my story man. I'm older now and more interested in new adventures fishing while I'm still physcially able to both fish and afford to. Things will change after I retire but until then... Fish On!!

#1989 Cman68, Jun 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
    stinkyB and bicketybam like this.
  10. bicketybam

That's a great story and it's awesome that your wife likes to fish as well. Mine doesn't mind that I dump money into the sport but she knows that I do that with everything I enjoy. I don't need top of the line but I try to avoid junk. She's fished with me a few times but would much rather just sit in the boat and enjoy the view, lol.

My new father in-law is a huge fisherman. He loves fly fishing and he lived out west for 30 years (UT). They finally moved back to RI and now he is into fishing for stripers, preferably with a fly rod. He bought a kayak like mine and we plan to do some fishing in Narragansett Bay. My brother in-law also loves to fish. He lives in MA and had a boat on the Merrimack river. He decided it was a giant pain in the ass and sold it before I married his sister. Too bad for me, lol.

Cman68 likes this.
  11. bicketybam

Have you guys fished flutter spoons? Skinner just killed it with them in his latest video. Should a get a few?

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The woman or the fish?

Cman68 likes this.
  13. Cman68

Lets put it this way.. I really wouldn't wanna tangle with EITHER of them. :)

14. bicketybam

As big as Becton?

Cman68 likes this.
  15. Cman68

Female Sasquatch... :D

bicketybam likes this.
  16. stinkyB

Only spoons I really use are drone spoons rolled behind a planer..... looks like that works though (like an oversized slowpitch jig)

bicketybam likes this.
  17. bicketybam

Question. I'm running 30lb braid on my slow pitch jigging rod. I'll be using 100-150 gram spoons to fish in 75-150 of water. What pound test should my leader be and how long should it be? I saw one setup where the guy was using 50lb flourocarbon but the heaviest I have is 30lb. Should I order some 50lb or use the 30lb?

18. Cman68

You could go as light as 20# leader if you want. 30/30 would work as well. 30/50 might be a bit heavy especially if you're dealing with high current. 30/20 should be fine. Leader length? At least the length from your reel to the tip of your rod and back down to your reel should be fine. Gives plenty of extra leader just in case you have to re-tie. You also might want to consider putting a "break knot" in your leader. That way, if you get snagged and must break your leader, it will break at the knot and still leave you with plenty length to re-tie. Its just a regular overhand knot right above either your sinker or your jig.

19. bicketybam

Are you using a swivel to tie the leader to the braid? If I'm in my kayak and I have a 14 foor leader I think I'd have a hard time boating a fish, no?

20. stinkyB

No swivel
    Line to line knots.... double uni... until you figure out the FG knot.

I use 30/50 myself

Cman68 and bicketybam like this.