Can the Jets TRUST Mekhi Becton in 2022?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

I have seen many people who had surgery, with recovery either being shorter and longer than expected. "Typical" in what context?. If the typical time for something is 6 weeks, I want to know something about standard deviations. Is typical the middle third? than another third is maybe 3 weeks or less and another third is 10 weeks or more. And so on. Which is why surgeons always schedule follow up visits as every patient reacts differently.

Ralebird likes this.
  2. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

Thats relative though ain’t it? A few weeks in either direction nobody would be upset with..

But 2x as long (4-7 months in this case) doesn’t seem concerning to you eh?

blackssmagic likes this.
  3. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The argument for his potential would be his rookie season.

If he plays 15 games at his rookie level or with slight improvement, we have a solid OL.

4. bleedgreen

I will be concerned when the staff evidences concern. Otherwise i would just be MSU. Please show me one piece of evidence that indicates Becton will not be ready for a full training camp.

5. Stevied

So you’ve seen zero to lead you to think the staff is concerned?

I’m not as much worried about the start of camp, but making it through camp +the season.

blackssmagic and REVISion like this.
  6. bleedgreen

this could be the start of a good "what if" discussion. What if, for whatever reason, becton is shaky in camp? Suppose by mid august the staff feels he will be a liability rather than an asset. Ok. That is a good opportunity to kick off suppositions. In my opinion that is a far different approach than people saying he will be a bust. He may or not be. there is no reason to think he has not learned from his poor camp last year. But suppose he repeats that pattern? Or suppose he is injured. (Suppose any player is injured). We can now discuss potential solutions. As fans, that is interesting. And to me, we can exercise some good critical thinking. Are the current backups sufficient. How to analyze them. What is available on the market? Do we try and get that asset now or wait till there is an actual need and have to pay much more?. What does shifting assets mean to he team in the future? fixed 53 roster on game day. zero sum, adding means subtracting.
    So much food for thought rather than MSU.

7. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

To quote a great Philosopher Fat Rex Ryan "lets go get a fuckin snack"

8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Regarding the bold - how can we interpret that as anything other than "he's too big"? The next 40 days comment is also telling even though Saleh immediately softened it with his usual "as is the case for everyone" line. Remember his line last training camp saying "Becton needs to take better care of his body...as does everyone"? Saleh softens hard truths with generalities so players don't feel singled out.

If Becton was only 5 lbs over their goal weight for him does anyone think he wouldn't be practicing? Regardless, the amount he's over is less important to me than the fact that he's over at all. He's had 6 months since the knee healed to do nothing but lose weight.

It's my opinion, sure, but I've formed the opinion by reading between the lines and also considering the more obvious stuff. I've been saying Becton's weight is an issue for like a year now, and all the while most people have told me I'm looking too deep into it. I'm not looking too deep into it, I'm just not taking the comments about him at face value because no one should.

Not to sound like an ass but I've been proven right about Becton at every turn, with much of the fanbase telling me I'm wrong the entire time.

blackssmagic likes this.
  9. bleedgreen

"Not to sound like an ass but I've been proven right about Becton at every turn, with much of the fanbase telling me I'm wrong the entire time."

I'm not sure what you are bragging about. becton came to minicamp. He did his work under team supervision. He did his rehab to get the knee OK. what else were you right about?

10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Becton damn near been 360 for his collegiate career IIRC, dudes just a big ass human being. Citing what other humans should “play” as and comparing to Becton is a silly excersize. Not to mention his injury last year was a guy falling into his knee, which initially I swore he tore his knee up. But neither here or there.

Ralebird likes this.
  11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

What's the appropriate TGG reaction if Becton gets put at right tackle?

12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

lol revision still on his BS thinking he’s right with Becton. Keep on fighting the good fight!

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What is the argument? Becton is fat and out of shape or not? I am amazed how people just want to be right and will not listen to either side. The answer is we should be concerned but he is coming off an injury and it is only June. You are blind if you are not concerned and blind if you think he has no talent.

We will see when Becton gets to camp how he looks and more importantly how he performs. To root against him so you can be "right" on a fan forum of all things is bizarre to me. As Jets fans we can be pessimistic but come on it is in the best interest of the Jets for him to succeed.

14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I've been saying his weight is a concern ever since he was drafted. Would you say that's been more right or wrong?

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This was the plan all along.

Acad23 likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Wow you really went out on a limb there. Next level insight lol

17. Stevied

I need people to believe in me and defend me like they do Becton.

18. Stevied

Curious as to what the Becton Boys on here think of what cimini said on his podcast today

19. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

What's a Becton Boy?

20. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

Right now, judging from the shape he appears to be in, I would trust him less with the starting left tackle job, than I would with a Krispy Kreme gift card.

blackssmagic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.