Can the Jets TRUST Mekhi Becton in 2022?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Seeing is believing...

blackssmagic likes this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Is "Big Bust" the same as "Nice tits"?

Footballgod214 and BrowningNagle like this.
  3. Ralebird

1. I disagree. There is only a medical reason he should still be doing rehab. Each patient's injury is different and each has a different "approximate" rehab schedule' even then they are not etched in stone and must be reevaluated as they progress. Being a professional athlete means that his use of the limb will be subject to harder use and greater stress,; it's a double-edged sword.

2. You may have personal knowledge not available to the general public but I have no way of knowing how mature the man may be. I also have no idea why anyone believes the guy should be more concerned about fans and media than he is about his own health and well being. He apparently has been in contact with his employer about his condition throughout his ordeal.

3. You are entitled to your opinion; I, on the other hand, do not believe I have the right to tell another adult how to run his personal life.

bleedgreen likes this.
  4. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

yup. still crossing my fingers.
    am not one to root against a player cos i would have preferred we drafted a different one.

5. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

We have all the evidence we need. After my career in law enforcement was cut short due to an injury. I trained Air Force Special Forces as a physical therapist. Yes, every person is different but he is a highly trained professional athlete not some guy bagging groceries at the local store.

If he was aware of how his career has played out to this point he would have his weight in check, he wouldn't be pushed out of his position by Fant, and he would show it on the field.

The guy has 1 job, he gets paid to work out, he has access to the best facilities, and all the personnel to help him.

So you can play blind but the 11th pick in the 1st round should get his shit straight

Brook!, BacktoQueens, abyzmul and 5 others like this.
  6. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

I actually think that it’s sad, but becton had an eating disorder. He crash diets and his body can’t keep that weight off. He needs a slow and steady weight loss plan and it’s already too late for that. I don’t see him having a great career.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Boomer Esiason gave some guesses on his weight yesterday

“Looking at him in his clothes as opposed to on a football field, this guy is approaching 400 pounds,” Esiason said on WFAN on Thursday. To me, he looks like he weighs somewhere between 395 and 400. OK? That is not good. Not good for him health-wise, first and foremost. I would probably bet $100 that he is over 395.

“I know what I’m looking at. I’m looking at an unhealthy guy, a guy who can wear a T-shirt and do whatever he wants on Instagram. … I was waiting to see what this looks like and this ain’t good.”

Borat and BacktoQueens like this.
  8. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

It is so incredibly unlikely that this guy will stay healthy with his weight, they need to simply plan for life without him. He is throwing away millions of dollars in favor of eating whatever the eff he wants. If you can't see that in the early photos of him, I can't help you.

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I see nothing wrong with insurance, particularly at OL, but at the end of the day the total number of players is fixed. Adding an additional Tackle to the roster, to me simply pre supposes we find better depth and let go of the lowest ranked OL in our roster. If not, another position will suffer, which is tough, particularly on this team with a lot of young talent to protect. Unfortunately for us we are not in great shape in other positions as well, like LB in my opinion.

Ralebird likes this.
  10. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

THIS is exactly why I was so upset that the Jets drafted Sauce Gardner instead of Evan Neal. When dealing with such a young QB as Wilson, the offensive line is too important to take and risks with.

However, it is what it is, and I truly hope Sauce Gardner makes an ass out of me, and has a Hall of Fame career.

11. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing till I looked closer at his game.... Sauce will be impactful.

12. Ralebird

[​IMG]

13. Petey

Petey Active Member

I want to provide a little context on Mekhi's injury.

About 15 months ago, I dislocated my left patellar at the gym. I was warming up doing reverse lunges (no dumbbells or anything, just bodyweight) to loosen up in the morning, and the next thing I know, I came down awkwardly, and my kneecap dislocated and was hanging on its side. Thankfully, it was the first and so far only time that's happened. I'm 34 years old. My orthopedist and physical therapist told me that the injury could be recurring, but usually only if it first occurs when you're younger (like a teenager or younger). In my case, it was most likely a freak injury.

I'm obviously not a professional athlete, but at the time, I was someone who frequented the gym pretty regularly. I was trying to work myself back into shape after letting myself go during the COVID shutdown. I've had issues with eating and weight for pretty much my whole life. At the time of my injury, I was probably about 25 pounds heavier than where I'd like to be, so not at my peak fitness level, but I've also been worse.

Anyway, I did physical therapy for about 5-6 weeks as my orthopedist said I had a clean dislocation. Unlike Mekhi, I didn't have any damage to any other part of my knee, so she felt I should be back to normal by 6 weeks. However, I was having an issue bending my knee past 90 degrees, and it seemed like I plateaued in my recovery. My orthopedist suggested going for an MPFL reconstruction and also did a bone graft since the groove that my kneecap sits on is a little shallower than normal.

My orthopedist outlined a pretty detailed 4-5 month recovery plan since she knew my ultimate goal was to get back in the gym doing my usual routine. Well, I kind of plateaued again, and let's just say it took my knee much longer to recover. To this day, I still do not have the bendability that I did before the injury. It's close, but I'll likely never have quite the same flexibility. Again, I'm not a professional athlete, and although, by all accounts, my orthopedist did a fine job with the surgery, I did not have the same recovery resources that I imagine Mekhi had at his disposal.

I don't know if Mekhi had the same surgery I had, but if he did, this is a very long-winded way of saying that I'm not surprised that he's not 100% yet. Also, when you have eating and weight issues and are very limited with what you can do with your knee, I'm also not surprised to find that he put on some weight. I'm hopeful that he'll eventually make a full recovery, but it might take longer than we all hope.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Maybe he should injure his stomach.

15. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Knee injuries are no fun. Both knees went bad pretty early playing football. Cartilage almost gone and stillgives me occasional trouble. Cause everything a issue at my age, but knees most troublesome . I never complain cause they kept me out of vietnam. But out of all my body parts they are the worse

BacktoQueens likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

#376 GasedAndConfused, Jun 20, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
  17. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

I’m glad you posted this, beat me to the punch. I think it’s important to remember that Boomer is the Johnson’s lap dog, and has seemed to know a thing or two from them.

Couple that with what sallaehs contrasting weight related comments: Mekhi vs what he said about Zach and mims, and the best writers opinions and it sadly don’t seem like much of a stretch tk me. Heavy guy tk begin with + baby weight that comes with having a new baby.

What threw me off though, and perhaps said in jest, was the “cut” comment. I’m assuming he meant trade, but it sounds like the “last straw” might be coming sooner than later with Mt. Becton.

The one thing that doesn’t make sense, is the Riley stuff. Idk why they haven’t signed him or brought someone else in yet if all this is the case

blackssmagic likes this.
  18. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

You make some decent points, but I disagree with them too.

1- Sure, folks recover differently. However, typically unless there’s an outside circumstance (surgery botched, misdiagnosis, infection, additional injury) if a prognosis is 4-5 months, they should be right around that frame. Maybe I’m wrong, but I think 4-5 was Mekhi’s time frame? That would mean December/January.. We’re almost 6+7 months beyond that-almost double the original diagnosis, and none of the afore mentioned outside circumstances appear to be in play.

2/3- with yoi on his own health > fans opinions. However, in this case, his health is parallel with our opinions. Weight continues to be an issue, despite being reprimanded and mocked for it, he hasn’t gotten it under control. The shirt he wore to the conference: on one hand I like it, on the other it could elicit an eye roll. He also went off on some ppl on Twitter after we passed on the O-Lineman in round 1, cursed some ppl out actually. So you’re right, I haven’t met him, but I think some maturity questions are maybe partially warented.

blackssmagic likes this.
  19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This does make sense. The guy looked like he is about to go into labor. Earlier reports were saying he just broke 400lbs. Saleh refused to answer if Becton is on the shape Jets wanted him to be in. And now Boomer, who was a professional player looking at the Olineman asses all the time estimates he is 395 and change. I think it is pretty safe to say he is about 395 and out of shape, where things are not looking good. I am hoping he can get in shape over next month with his injury behind him, but I have to see it to believe it. He would need to lose at least 30 lbs to be in decent shape, and even that leaves him on the higher end. It's a tall order, particularly for someone who has not shown ability to get into shape.

I think JD needs to plan accordingly, though unfortunately there is no Morgan Moses available this time around. Realistically, I think big part of Becton's program in training camp will be to get into shape instead of solely improving his game. It's an uphill battle at this point, given where he is mid-June.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Imagine being Zach Wilson and trusting your health & career trajectory to that fat, sweaty man we saw at the podium...

week 2 (if he's even active) Becton goes 1 on 1 for 60+ plays with Myles Garrett. He didn't even look close to ready for that

Jets79 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.