Can the Jets TRUST Mekhi Becton in 2022?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Agreed, they have to bring someone in. Hopefully they get this done with Reiff.

Borat likes this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

After seeing the pictures I think we are making too big a deal about his weight. He is a big guy no doubt, we all knew that, but he is not the tub of lard some here make it look like. He looks a bit trimmer than his rookie season actually. Concerns IMO are all about his physical progress and football readiness, not if a looks like a body builder or has a gut.

Ralebird likes this.
  3. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Of course they need a backup. But why is Becton any kind of question mark? The only comments relating to Becton at the beginning of last year were because of poor camp performance. i think most people expected him to play most of the games. His injury had nothing to do with his size. perhaps his recovery time did. But he is fully recovered according to reports. So why is he a question concerning staying on the field. We can question as to his playing efficiency, but I don't see questioning his playing availability.

Every football player is a play away from serious injury. Competent backups are always needed. Becton is not any kind of special situation.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Remember on draft night and the pictures inside Mekhi's livingroom and we saw (what turned out to be) his father and we all went..."oh no". Well, that's looking pretty good right about now!

5. BrowningNagle

Ok but if he is fully recovered why is he not practicing?

REVISion likes this.
  6. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

Just my humble opinion:

1. I can't remember where I read it but it was mentioned that he is still rehabbing his knee. There is no medical reason he should still be in a rehab setting. The surgical procedure he went through was a approximate 6-8 month rehab. With him being a professional athlete it should have been a faster rehab process.

2. There is definitely maturity issues or a complete lack of reality. How does he not understand the legitimate concerns that fans, media, and coaching staff have regarding his commitment to this team. This includes his weight, passion for the game, and his heart to push through.

3. I personally think that he needs to shut up and prove it all on the field. The stupid t-shirt, the going back and forth with fans and media. Is he blind or deaf, because he clearly doesn't pay attention to his career to this point. I mean he might lose his position to freaking George Fant, its not like he is losing it too Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden, its George freaking Fant. If that doesn't say something I don't know what will.

Stevied, Cman68, apjbfc and 3 others like this.
  7. bleedgreen

"There is definitely maturity issues or a complete lack of reality." I could say this about your post. You claim to be a medical rehab professional, knowing nothing about his particular rehab. (your point 1)

You claim to be a mind reader, cause where do you see any comments about the coaches concern about his passion (your point 2).

You claim to be a seer, cause you think he doesn't pay attention to his career. (your point 3).

It is unfortunate that the majority of people posting on this board do not spend even 5 minutes thinking before they post. You are typical of others who want to convict without any real evidence, or in the face of contrasting evidence choose to ignore it.

KingRoach, BradysTornACL and Ralebird like this.
  8. bleedgreen

Ummm, cause the coaches really don't have any of the big guys practicing very much. A 3-day minicamp for gods sake. This is not the real training camp.

Some people.....

KingRoach and KY Jets Fan like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

With all due respect, the "big deal" is all about the weight, not whether its fat or muscle. His injury recovery was predicted as 6-8 weeks, but took longer because his weight was a contributing obstacle to him not recovering within that timeframe. And his weight - regardless of what it's comprised of - remains a risk to whether his surgically repaired knee can handle it, and also, will his weight interfere with his agility required to play in the blocking scheme required by this offense? Until he gets on the field and answers these questions, they remain valid questions.

And BTW, for those who are making claims that people who are doubting Becton because they don't want him to succeed, speaking for myself, I wanted Becton to be the pick in the draft, and still want him to become the force I thought he could be. But his performance so far has called that into question, it has nothing to do with what I want it's based upon his demonstrated track record so far.

10. BrowningNagle

that's incorrect, they did 7 on 7s for the backfields and drills for the linemen. Becton was a non-participant. Cimini reports all that stuff

If he's injured he's injured. I dont know how someone could be fully recovered though and a non-participant at the same time

REVISion and blackssmagic like this.
  11. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

kinda hilarious since he's missed more games than played

blackssmagic and Borat like this.
  12. bleedgreen

I will stand corrected if you can cite at least 1 report showing big guys on the field actually attempting to move one another.ratherthan doin make believe.

13. bleedgreen

Sure hope you dont make real decisions in your life based on small sample size

14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

It is the CS staff policy when coming back from back from an injury to ease a player in and not have them practice right away. Rather, they start returning injured players off on the side. They do this with everyone. That is why he did not practice and it was documented by Connor Hughes.

In regards to the injury concern with Becton I think the concern is that he is that he has been injured now continuously for over 18 months. First he had his shoulder injury his rookie year which he tried to play through and which bothered him all off season in 2021. Then he had the foot injury which kept him off his feet all off-season. When he finally made it back he gets the knee injury which was still bothering him a few months ago. While he had a clean injury history in college the last 18 months has been really rough for him. One thing after another with no time to be healthy and just focus on improving himself and getting ready.

#354 Noam, Jun 16, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  15. bleedgreen

16. bleedgreen

Well i agree with you fir the most part. Practicing for a limited time gets you nowhere. Camp is a month away. Minicamp is to evaluate health and get an early read on players. That will help inform personnel decisions down the road. They did evaluate his knee, said it was fine, and had him doing stuff on the side along with others.

There are injury concerns with everyone. Becton has been working on his body for months and still has 3 months till game 1. Is the staff "concerned " about becton over other key players? I don't see any panic moves. He was under continual scrutiny, as were all the players, this past week. Do you see any public comments from the staff doubting becton? Maybe i missed them. And as i am no mind reader i don't know what they say behind closed doors.

17. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

fwiw... for me people seem to be very eager to bury a player w/ a history of injuries.
    obviously it sucks for the player and for whomever is/was rooting for them to succeed.
    look at Barkley... obviously in great shape but... injuries.
    So, if MB doesn't work out for injuries, I wouldn't be harsh on HIM.
    more like... staying with my original wish- that we'da picked Wirfs.

blackssmagic likes this.
  18. toddhershkowitz

toddhershkowitz Active Member

NO
    This guy has 0 mental toughness
    AND
    0 self discipline

Move on from him asap.

REVISion likes this.
  19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, I should have said more appropriately making a big deal about the way he looks as opposed to weight, but be that as it may, we don't know what his weight is, or what it should be, and all references and comments here can only be to the way he looks. I don't know what they were expecting him to look like? That was my point. The way he looks to me now is better than before, that is all I can surmise. But that does not mean much. . So far, can't tell a damned thing from the pictures that would either increase or decrease my concerns. He looks like the big guy that we drafted. And I, like you was also one that most definitely wanted Becton and still hope he can make a career with the right help. .

GreenWhiteandGold likes this.
  20. bleedgreen

Yup. But we have becton. So lets see how it plays out.

Losmeister and Cman68 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.