Can the Jets TRUST Mekhi Becton in 2022?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The doom and gloom stuff has neither been wrong nor right. No one has seen him in action yet. He has missed more games than he has played in his young career. That is cause for worry. We all want go see him succeed and play well. We are waiting in the dark. So far.

Jets79 and RochesterJet like this.
  2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Saw him at the deli, and apparentIy he lost his wallet..... I gave him 10 bucks to buy a sandwich. I fully trust him to pay me back (not enough to give him the 20 he really wanted to buy 2 though)

FJF, Leicester Jet and Savatage like this.
  3. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Even if he has a good season he has too many red flags to be convinced he is a long-term answer. The chances are he will not have a good season.

4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The one positive for last year was that the injury had nothing to do with his playing shape. His knee got rolled up on and it would have happened to anyone. I'm not ready to slap the injury prone label on him just yet.

5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It writes itself...

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No problem...they contain less calories than what he's apparently been eating.:p

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I get the distinct impression that, contrary to what you say, not everyone here wants to see him succeed.

KingRoach likes this.
  8. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I'm trying not to sound like a Becton apologist with these posts because he does have to show us how serious he is about playing football this year but using a current picture would give a better indication of his current shape.
    [​IMG]
    No, he's not in body builder shape, a bit of fat in the midsection, but this doesn't look like he is terribly out of shape. Guess we'll just have to wait for training camp and beyond.

Ralebird likes this.
  9. stinkyB

He's not D'Brickshaw.... but he never was going to be either

FJF, The Waterboy and dawinner127 like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He looked fluffy to me

11. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

At the very least, he looks hungry.

cval likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

what size do you think he ordered that 'Big Bust' t-shirt in? 4XL?

13. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I don't think the Jets can trust him entirely right now. Moving him to RT would prove that. Becton at RT, Fant and the two guards seems like a damn good line to me. His rookie year I enjoyed the excitement of watching his highlights each week so I'm certainly rooting for him and am not turning on him now. After last season I am just glad he's here. But yeah, I think there will always be a concern with him. Like his coaches, I'm getting tired of the fat jokes.

14. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We will have to settle for something in between of out of shape and terribly out of shape. He would not reveal his weight, that should tell you something. The bottom line here is, it's not looking great, but there is still time left before start of training camp, so there is hope.

15. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I usually expect O line to look somewhat rotund so hard to say what kind of shape he's in until he hits the field.

He looked like he was a little larger his rookie year and he played well when he was in. We shall see.

FJF likes this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I have to agree with you, probably those who wanted a different lineman during the draft. God forbid our GM went in a different direction.

17. stinkyB

I'm hoping he gets so fat that it takes DEs 4 seconds to run around him.....

BrowningNagle likes this.
  18. BrowningNagle

here is Trent Brown last week at Patriots camp

I think its a decent comparison because they are both large offensive tackles who have struggled with their weight. Brown is listed 6-8, 380. Becton is also 6'8. Its hard to tell I know but this is all we have to go off. People can judge if they see a difference in build. To me, it looks like Brown has less in the midsection but I recognize he is in his football stance

By the way, Brown was a full participant in practice

[​IMG]

RochesterJet likes this.
  19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The official Mekhi 'I'll make them eat their words (if I don't eat them first)' Becton is so fat..... thread:

Mekhi is so fat when he goes camping the bears hide THEIR food!

Mekhi is so fat when he went to Fire Island greenpeace pushed him back in the ocean

Mekhi is so fat when he caught a flesh eating disease team doctors gave him 10 years to live

Jets79 and Since1969 like this.
  20. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think people can want someone to succeed, while being objective and recognizing that Becton still has a significant question mark around him. At this point based on what I see, I think we NEED another veteran Tackle or we might end up in huge trouble. Fant btw is also not known for being an ironman. He suffered a pretty serious knee injury, where 5 months later he still was not ready to go for OTAs. We were lucky it was end of the year, but if this same hit happens in the first game, he would have been out of the season too, like Mekhi.

I just feel chances both of them will play great and can stay healthy all year are not high and warrant getting another solid Tackle. I am not sure Sam Mitchell will be a great tackle this year and might need time to develop coming from weak Sun Belt conference. That does not mean I don't want Becton, Fant, and Sam to succeed - I do. What it means is that there are factors that are unfolding that prevent me from just closing my eyes and saying we are in great shape when it comes to Tackle position.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.