Can the Jets TRUST Mekhi Becton in 2022?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

One of the advantages of having a QB on a rookie contract and no Deebo is that we can probably get some quality OT insurance on waivers. If the FO thinks Becton is recovering well, no need to use a valuable draft pick if Joe thinks there are better players available at other positions.

I'd love to get Perrion Winfrey tomorrow.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

He got rolled up. Then he blew up the scale. What he was in his rookie year is in the past and no longer relevant. What he is NOW is the main concern. Fatboi needs to show up slimmed down and ready to play. No more Twitter bullshit whining about folks not buying the "big ticket". Stop treating Becton like a kid and remind him he gets paid to play football, not bitch on twitter. Simply put: if he plays, he stays...

SOJAZ, Acad23 and joe like this.
  3. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I just saw on one of my Jets Facebook pages that apparently Cimini is reporting that Becton will not practice at the mandatory minicamp for "undisclosed reasons". I'm trying to find a second article to confirm that, but this could be a big problem if true.

blackssmagic and Bellys Lies like this.
  4. Wut?

Wut? Well-Known Member

He’s coming in for the physical. They are probably just protecting him this round from the media/fans. he will practice in July and hopefully Lawson won’t make him look silly this time around.

5. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I'm pulling really hard for him to succeed, but there just seems to be red flags everywhere with this guy.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

From an ESPN online article:

"3. Here comes Mekhi: Minicamp runs Tuesday and Wednesday. Unlike OTA practices, minicamp is mandatory. Saleh expects every player to attend, including tackle Mekhi Becton, who didn't participate in the nine weeks of voluntary work. The Monday pre-camp physical will be the organization's first in-person look at him since the end of the season. He's not expected to practice."

https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-...ns-ear-should-be-good-thing-for-new-york-jets

7. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

Players gotta play.

If he is not ready ok…next.

One player is not a team.

KingRoach likes this.
  8. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

As a fan who's held out as much hope for Becton as anybody, this is disappointing. Clearly, Becton needs to be healthy to practice, but it seems like this injury thing is dragging on forever. And isn't it important for offensive lineman to practice together as much as possible to build a familiarity and sense of cohesion? This is not to mention that it needs to be decided whether Becton will play LT or RT.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

What's puzzling - and leads me to wonder if this whole injury episode is fueled by something else - is that Becton was not labeled as injury prone prior to be drafted, and even though he missed some time in his first season, there were no serious injuries. Now maybe his injury last was really far more serious than has been revealed, but I would think that the Jets would've announced that, but they haven't, they've just said that it's taking longer to recover because "He's a big man". So, now injury history, no announcement that his injury was so severe, so why is it taking him so long to return? IDK, but as I said, it seems to indicate that there's something else going on...maybe he wants to be traded; maybe he isn't happy about being moved to RT; maybe he's got enough money and is done with football. Whatever it is, I hope Douglas has a Plan-B.

blackssmagic, SOJAZ and joelip like this.
  10. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

There will be plenty of time to practice, the Jets need to do their own check ups to make sure he’s healthy enough for whatever they throw at him.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Becton has burned through a lot of excuses but I'm sure they will think of another one

blackssmagic and Leicester Jet like this.
  12. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I would say the Jets have used a few excuses but I never heard Becton comment onto why he didn't recover quickly.

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

How's CeeDee Lamb doing? Still a top tier WR? Oh cool.

REVISion and blackssmagic like this.
  14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

He will be at mandatory practice.

If he is knocking everyone to the ground without getting winded we have cause to celebrate.

If his minutes are limited and he looks average at best he could be a bust.

I would like to think we get the guy who dominated in season one.

15. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

They are saying he's not practicing.

They should do what the raiders did with JaMarcus Russel. Give him some blank media and see if he even looks at it. It's starting to get to that level of lack of commitment. I'm starting to think he just doesn't want to play football.

#295 JackBower, Jun 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    REVISion and blackssmagic like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's a good point. That could be the case

blackssmagic likes this.
  17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's possible Becton read Robert Saleh's motto backwards and he thinks it is No Gas. All Brake.

Seriously though, I hope he does take this seriously and cares. He is a wrecking ball. If he cares and truly does go "All Gas. No Brake." he would be unstoppable, as would the Jets O-line.

18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

OK, I give up then.

19. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Amen, if this guy isn't praticing - after all this recovery time - then, INHO, there is an underlying issue we do not know about. Either way, if JD hasn't planned for this contingency then that is a "black" on his resume. You never, ever, go with one option without having a fall back.

20. NYsportsfan1962

Hopefully, we sign Riley Reiff as a backup or contingency. Something just appears not right with Becton. Watching his so called recent workout video of carry two 50 pounds weights across the room did not impress anyone that he was serious. Try watching Derrick Henry's workout video pulling a truck up a hill. Hopefully we all don't have the complete story and Becton will be ready to go starting training camp. One thing for sure an OT will be either a 1st or 2nd rounder in next year's draft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.