Ulbrich

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jojo, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

They NEVER adjusted properly, you won't win that way. Nevermind learning that shit, you gotta adjust, PROPERLY.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's hard to adjust and call plays when you are picking up other teams PS players and starting them a few days later. Many times guys like riley, parks, even quincy were caught out of position or ran the wrong play. IIRC pinnock and dunn both did it too at one point that led to big TDs

3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Saleh corrected him now that he wants stars to play 70%, and Ulbrich was just being optimistic when he said 35 snaps, meaning defense is only on 50 snaps total. Ulbrich starts to worry me. He also said something like we don't do reads as everything is on our terms. I am not an analyst, but it sounds like there is only one way they can play, and it also explains lack of adjustments in the defense last year. I want the defense to improve, but I also want more flexible and creative DC rather than rigid 35 snaps a game, don't care what the other team does type of guy.

Jojo, WilsonJetsFan, IDFjet and 2 others like this.
  4. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The guy on the video explains. You are mis applying the statement.

He does it better but I’ll try jic you don’t want to watch.

1st The convo was about the DL. The LBs and DBs aren’t on a snap count. The DL isn’t doing reads but that doesn’t mean the rest of the team isn’t. Ie.

There will be plenty of defensive adjustments for the back 7 but the DLs job is simple, mind your gaps.

cval likes this.
  5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

its easy to type that when half of your defense is on IR and the entire backend are rookies.

6. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

this. im willing to give it a year of relative normalcy before raising concerns.

KingRoach likes this.
  7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Spot on.

8. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

Go back to what Saleh said, “a monkey could run this defense”. He’s right, our defense is as basic as it gets. It’s dependent on players, not scheme. If Jermaine Johnson pans out and Carl Lawson actually gets sacks instead of just almost getting sacks then this D is going to be very good. If we have no pass rush again then we’re gonna stink. Ulbrich doesn’t do squat, and neither would any replacement unless the scheme changed.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That doesn't mean that you should hire a monkey to run it.

Brook! and Acad23 like this.
  10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

So did Ulbrich fail the math section for not knowing how many defensive snaps happen in each game or was it the verbal for not being able to explain how 30 - 35 per player was going to cover them all?

12. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

He failed the reasoning section by blabbing his plans to everyone who would listen.

13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I got no concerns about LaFleur. Offense will find its rhythm unless Zach shits the bed. But Ulbrich scares me. It could be Saleh's weak link. Wish Saleh can spend some time helping out Ulbrich this year.

Jojo and joelip like this.
  14. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

The most concerning thing for me is the lack of improvement during the year. Yes, training camp was shortened in 2021 due to COVID, and I hope that a full off-season and training camp in 2022 will not only make a difference for the defense but also the offense. It just seemed like the defensive players kept making the same mistakes all last season. As a contrast, Zach Wilson markedly improved his TD to interception ratio by the end of 2021.

Jojo likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think the problem with the Jets "D", isn't so much Ulbrich as it is being heavily dependent on high quality, high energy, high football intelligence players, which is why it's not really system based. That can be good because you can plug players in and they don't need to learn a system to contribute right away as long as they have those qualities, but if you don't have players with those qualities - or enough of them - the "system" breaks down. This is what we saw last year. Hopefully most of the guys will stay healthy and on the field this year.

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Ulbrich runs a defense requiring talent at middle linebacker and a stable of warm bodies on the line. Front office has built a team with talent on the line and warm bodies at linebacker.

There is a divide between the staff & front office.

---

It makes you wonder if it was an arranged marriage forced by the distracted former UK Ambassador and his previously unemployed brother

17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I think It makes YOU wonder. I don't think it makes anybody else wonder.

KingRoach likes this.
  18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Are you implying CJ is nothing but a warm body at middle LB?

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I have respect for him because he gives a shit unlike a lot of guys on that D but let's be honest, he's not the player he once was, especially in the passing game. Opposing QBs completed nearly 86% of their passes in his direction last season

Ideally you could take him out on 3rd downs.... but the warm bodies behind him really suck. (which speaks to my point, if they believed in Ulbrich's scheme, they'd gotten some good coverage backers in here)

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

One can only hope Saleh and the DC will tailor the defensive schemes to match the strength of our personnel. If that is not the case then you got to wonder how the close loop system between JD and CS failed to recognize that.I have a hard time accepting that. I also think they are hoping faster, lighter converted safeties back to lb can fit the role.