3 years ago today, Jets hired Joe Douglas (June 7th) - POLL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jun 7, 2022.

?

How would you grade Joe D's 3 year with the Jets

1. A+ to A-

20.0%
  2. B+ to B-

40.0%
  3. C+ to C-

8.6%
  4. D

11.4%
  5. F

2.9%
  6. Too early to tell

17.1%
  1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I think we looked better this past season than the season before.

2. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I'm very wary of WIlson but hoping desperately JD was correct. Outside of that I think he's done a terrific job in cleaning the roster/cap, bringing in solid vets, making trades, and drafting high-ceiling talent at the right positions. So I voted in the B range because Wilson is so shaky to me. If WIlson hits, it's a very obvious A.

Now we see if he can take the next step and construct a winning football team.

Jets79 likes this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Absolutely, positively spot on, in fact, if Wilson proves to be the savior for us and we find our winning ways, JD will be with us for a long while and any comparisons with his massively incompetent predecessors will forever be put to rest as sheer and absolute nonsense.

Jets79 likes this.
  4. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Agree 100%…people are graded mid process all the time…at work, at school, etc.

You don’t need to wait and see to answer the question of how do you think he’s done? The draftees may become all pros or they may bust, and either one would affect the grade next year, but to ask how he’s done so far to me is a fun and valid question.

the other point I’d make is all these posts about look at the record are a bit off base. Yes in the end that’s the goal and it will determine his future here. But you have to look at the context and the plan and the execution against that plan. So the question comes down to (1) do you believe he has the right plan (i.e. build through the the draft, utilization of free agency, management of the cap, etc), and (2) do you believe he is executing effectively against that plan? If so, then the grade would be pretty good. If not, then no. But to say you’re going to grade him on wins so far doesn’t make sense..he laid out a tear down plan and a rebuild through the draft plan, but wins in the first year or two (or maybe even three) were not the immediate goal. If they were, he’d have kept some talented players that he let go, he would’ve made different free agent signings, and probably wouldn’t have drafted a QB and would have pulled in a vet. But he’s solving for a long term sustainable plan, so those options weren’t his choice.

so for example, with Idzik I’d say I liked his plan of shedding high contracts and building through the draft, but I think he absolutely sucked balls in the execution of that plan. So he got a failing grade and especially so for totally blowing a 14 player draft. Fireable offense.

for Mac, I’d say he fails in the plan, mostly because I don’t think he ever had a plan…the only strategy I ever heard from him was to not spend high picks on OL…well that is a fucking stupid plan right off the bat. And the execution sucked as well…you don’t take a safety at 6 when you need a QB and there are two very good prospects sitting there. That’s also a fireable offense. And he signed major contracts for non premium positions like RB and ILB. Just clueless.

anyway…that’s my take.

ColoradoContrails, Jeff M and Brook! like this.
  5. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

my B was in THIS spirit

i aint tasted the A pudding yet/... it still tasted like D- pudding last year

6. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

I fail to see the benefit of signing a guy who doesn't even want to play for the Jets. Obviously it was not a disaster signing, but equally obviously it's nothing to brag about.

"Former Jets lineman Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is heading back to medicine.

Duvernay-Tardif will step away from NFL free agency for now and take up
    a residency program at a Montreal-area hospital next month, he told the
    Canadian Press.

Duvernay-Tardif will finish his requirements to become a physician before
    considering a potential return to football in September when the season is
    beginning.

“I’m going to prioritize medicine… and we’ll see in September if there’s
    a fit,” Duvernay-Tardif said. “After eight years in the NFL, and I don’t
    want to sound pretentious by saying this, but I think I’ve earned the
    right to do what’s best for me and not just for football and kind of bet
    on myself a little bit.”

IOW, "I don't want to play for the Jets".

Did Tardif have any impact on the offensive line with regard to Wilson?

Tardif: first game nov 14 played games weeks 10-15 dnp week 16 and played weeks 17-18

Wilson: played weeks 1-5, 7, 12-18 so that means he played with Tardif weeks 12-15, and 17-18

Comparing the number of sacks Wilson had with and without Tardif:
    weeks 1-5 sacks 6 4 5 1 2 total 18
    week 7 sack 1 total 19 so 19/6 = 3.17 sacks per game

so with Tardif he had
    4 2 3 6 and 1 8 sacks, 24/6 = 4 sacks per game.

I will leave it to you as an excercise to calculate the number of sacks White and Johnson had per game
    with(if any)/without Tardif.

Ron

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You could have just said Yes. But I appreciate the thorough nature of your post.

I mean, I get it. I get your schtick because we've seen it here a million times, but at least do a little research. I am a Douglas skeptic and I can come up with a number of valid criticisms straight off the top of my head. LDT doesn't even register. It was a minor trade that stopped the bleeding that Van Roten was causing. Don't die on that hill, Don.

#67 abyzmul, Jun 11, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    Jets79 and CotcheryFan like this.