3 years ago today, Jets hired Joe Douglas (June 7th) - POLL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jun 7, 2022.

?

How would you grade Joe D's 3 year with the Jets

1. A+ to A-

20.0%
  2. B+ to B-

40.0%
  3. C+ to C-

8.6%
  4. D

11.4%
  5. F

2.9%
  6. Too early to tell

17.1%
  1. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

In the end, GMs and coaches are judged based on the W-L record. Period.

but that isn’t necessarily the measuring stick when you sign on to a complete tear down and rebuild. That would make no sense and no GM would take that job. In the middle of the rebuild, the measuring stick is the kind of stuff we’re talking about:

1.Drafts - well 2 out 3 look pretty good so far, and the first one was for a different coach and a different system…I’d say arrow is pointing up here

2. free agency - no albatross contracts, and he went low budget on stop gap guys in the first couple years when he knew he didn’t have a competitive team yet so why waste the resources … I’d say some early duds for sure but arrow is also looking up here as his team is starting to come together

3. Trades - I think he’s pretty much gotten over on just about every trade he’s made … pretty happy here

4. Coaching staff - perhaps too early to tell as they were all rookies last year but he landed one of the top candidates … year 2 will be important and we’ll know more this season

5. Cap Mgmt - looking pretty good here as well…lots of young guys, we’re not overpaying for aging past their prime players…CJ Mosley is perhaps overpaid but that’s on Mac, and in any case, he’s not playing like shit…may not ne worth his contract but he’s our best defensive player. Again, arrow pointing up

the only real complaint is our W-L record, and if that doesn’t start to improve then he’ll be held to task for that, but this was never going to be about wins in the first couple of years so to hold that out as the reason for a failing grade makes no sense at all…

funny, but on a related note, I can look at those categories and shudder at how absolutely terrible our previous GMs were at these things…Idzik couldn’t draft for shit, Mac had no clue how to build a roster and wasted HUGE dollars in free agency, Bradway got absolutely raped on every single trade he made (can we ever forget trading a first round pick for Doug fucking Jolley and a second round pick which he used on a mediocre fucking kicker??? I would have fired him on the spot for that shit!)…seriously when you look through our GM history it’s no wonder we have sucked for so long.

Jeff M, KY Jets Fan, Brook! and 3 others like this.
  2. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I don’t know if any GMs who were fired after only 2 drafts. Despite your insistence, it seems on the very low end.

Even Mike Maylock was able to see how his 3rd draft class performed.

If you do know of any GMs fired after only 2 drafts, please fill me in.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  3. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I went with B since things are kind of incomplete as we stand and I’m not basing my grade on just record like some fools are because of you know the team like most realist fans do. We kept Gase too long that’s not on JD that’s on our horrible owners. He knows how to build a team in drafts and trades. Has everything worked out no, but nobody has a crystal ball and no GM is perfect. I think we start seeing real progress this year and into next.

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

JD had fuck all to do with Osemele. Stop using that POS as an example.That was all Mac. JD was the one that got rid of his ass. What part of not able to fire Gase don’t you get. He reported to the owner directly and JD had zero leverage to do that on year one. He did that with the return of Woody in year two.

#44 LAJet, Jun 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I did say fried, not fired. The Jet Fanbase has been down so long that 13-36 doesn't even raise an eyebrow. We are used to losing as its what we do year in and year out. Just another losing season in a long line of losing seasons.. Pass the salt..

JD will finish his contract. Nobody is saying otherwise. JD's has had 2 drafts AND 2 FA periods as well and the team has not shown any improvement on the field. On paper? Hell yeah we're coming up.. On the field? Not so much. TBD is the only realistic option IF wins are to be the criteria. If not? then anything goes since wins don't matter.

TBD...

KY Jets Fan and KingRoach like this.
  6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I've always judged GM's on the rosters they put together and not by record. They do have a correlation but sometimes it's not as direct as you would think for a number of reasons.

I like this roster JD has assembled during his tenure. I didn't vote because there isn't an option when using Tapatalk. But I would give him a B.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  7. KingRoach

Lol. Fried made a big difference.

I think he’s not getting fried bc of his record bc his moves have made sense. In a 5 yr resurrection of a post, someone commented “even though, I don’t understand the plan, I think we should let it play it’s course”. The biggest difference today is people finally understand and agree with the GMs plan. Not everyone of course but enough people to keep him out of the fryer.

lol fired. My bad.

PJ4Ever, K'OB and Cman68 like this.
  8. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

I completely forgot about this guy.
    DOCTOR Duvernay-Tardif? Another great investment, JD got a lot out of that one. Probably good that he is going into
    medicine because he's just another guy with an injury history.

Ron

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He traded a special teams Tight End that got cut a few weeks later.

Are you trying to look stupid? You would be the Tom Brady of that league.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Okay, you've now proven yourself to be a troll.

KY Jets Fan, PJ4Ever, K'OB and 2 others like this.
  11. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

It was an OBVIOUS over reach to prove a point...and GM's are totally judged by injuries, contracts..all of it the full package but kids wanna just pick and choose.
    Amazing how people are so quick to call someone out and they don't even read wtf was posted.
    the Osemele signing absolutely BLEW UP ON JDs watch. FAXXXX He didn't sign him but he's responsible for the HC, Players Contracts all of it.
    There's no pick n choose
    Bottom line HE HASN'T DONE SHIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTT ....period. Accurate. FACTS.

12. KingRoach

Those words don’t mean what you think they mean

KY Jets Fan and PJ4Ever like this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Idzik

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

either trolling or maybe just THE stupidest set of posts…like he can’t be serious, right?

KingRoach likes this.
  15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

and deservedly so! How you totally blow a 14 player draft is beyond me…that guy was fucking clueless

stinkyB, HomeoftheJets and KingRoach like this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Idzik firing was deserved, but as much as Jets fans hate to hear it, there are similarities between Idzik and Douglas. Both GMs took over bad teams, tore them down, and did not manage to build them into winners, though Douglas still has a shot at it. They also both came from winning organizations (how much of the winning they were responsible for being another story) and were both hired in circumstances that would lead to most GM candidates turning the job down. We'll see if Douglas's players fare better than Idzik's, but Douglas's first draft was bad, and it's too soon to draw conclusions about his second and third drafts.

Cman68 and PJ4Ever like this.
  17. Cman68

TBD...

18. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

TBD grades are cop outs. It's like if you go to college and you ace the mid-term that is an A.

it doesn't mean that you won't get a C or even an F on the finals, but your grade as of the mid-term point is A.

I would invite any poster who graded a TBD to re-grade, as of this point in time, because I read many great thoughts in those posts.

19. Cman68

What is your criteria for judgement? Record? Roster? Which one? If it's "Record", you would have to judge JD on a 13-36 record after a complete roster rebuild. If its "Roster", they haven't been together on the field long enough for an accurate evaluation yet which is another way of saying TBD. I'm curious as to which set of guidelines you would like us to use...

20. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Voted for can't tell yet.

This year + Next year are going to be the two biggest years for JD and his franchise.

Cman68 likes this.