3 years ago today, Jets hired Joe Douglas (June 7th) - POLL

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jun 7, 2022.

?

How would you grade Joe D's 3 year with the Jets

1. A+ to A-

20.0%
  2. B+ to B-

40.0%
  3. C+ to C-

8.6%
  4. D

11.4%
  5. F

2.9%
  6. Too early to tell

17.1%
  1. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

Ah yes. Right after the draft. n/m

2. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

This is all I need to know
    Records under JD?
    7-9
    2-14
    4-13
    13-36 enough said. Win some games and lets try to be at leat competitive in all of them...

Cman68, Jets69 and Br4d like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I give him an A- because his first draft didn't yield the results we needed to have, BUT...the jury's still out dependent on if Becton and Mims can perform as they were expected to. Aside from that, he had the balls to tear down a roster that was never going to better than MAYBE slightly above mediocre and built it back up based on is own blueprint. The new players of course have to perform on the field, but there is demonstrably more and younger talent than we've had since I can't even remember when. If all you're doing is judging based on W/L I don't see how you can rate him worse than "Incomplete", but everyone's entitled to their opinion. I'm far more optimistic than I've been since Parcells was here - and I believe this team will eventually surpass those teams.

4. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

A lot of good points in your post, but I do have to take exception to the comment that the QB position is at best a push. Nobody knows exactly how Zach will work out, but we do know how Sam worked out. There is no way that Zach is not better than Sam even if he only ends up being mediocre. Factor in the contract re-set, the eye test, and the upside and IMHO, the QB position has been upgraded big-time.

#24 Jeff M, Jun 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  5. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

3 years as a whole- - 3 draft classes - but only 2 that have played a snap.

9 playes drafted in premium positions (as opposed to 6 btw). If we can’t Judge 4 of those 9 because they haven’t played a snap, how can you give JD any grade at all?

Actually, 8 of his 9 premium picks have not played a full NFL season. JD deserves no less than an inc or tbd

6. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

well sure there is…if Zach plays next year like he did this year then yeah he’ll be no better than Sam…who I think had a better rookie year than Zach, or at least comparable.

that being said, I’m hopeful that Zach WILL be better this year, and hopefully MUCH better. But yeah it’s not a given that he will be. I’m cautiously optimistic … not as certain as some on this board but I am optimistic.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  7. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I went B as well…I like that he has a clear vision (unlike Mac who just drafted non premium positions based on consensus, and while Leo and Adams and Q were all good players, I do t think they were the right players), and I like that he can execute on that vision (unlike Idzik who had a similar approach but couldn’t pick talent for shit).

I couldn’t go A just because the record is what it is … but to expect otherwise in a clear tear down and rebuild job is kind of ridiculous right? He took over a shit roster with a shit coach who’ll never coach again, and he had to build up from scratch. The last two draft classes with his coach and his scouting dept look worlds better than his first draft class for a different coach and scheme.

so I’m excited by our GM and the way he’s gone about this…it really will come down to how Zach develops but he’s given him a lot more to work with in year 2.

8. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Actually the contrary, He was who I wanted and Saleh was too...I was ecstatic...but I am also a realist and don't do the fanboi bullshit just to be right..

SOJAZ likes this.
  9. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

-Davis. Sorry but GM's don't get a pass on injuries. eg,If they sign a player for 5 years 90m and he plays 1 year you think they don't blame the GM ?
    -He SHOULD HAVE FIRED GASE Keeping him was a whole year of waste. That's on JD.
    -McGovern lol..ok push
    -Osemele was hot garbage and the whole thing got ugly. That was JD's decision so he owns it.

Other than McGovern, I don't see how those are somehow positives are not his to own.

10. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I get what you’re saying and quite frankly, I agree with all of it.

However, if you’re just comparing the talent on the respective rosters in a vacuum, it’s hard to give Zach the edge over Sam at this point in time. I totally agree with you in that I have more optimism on Zach than I did with Sam though. I think Zach will have a better statistical year this year than Sam ever had (an admittedly low bar to set) but he’s gotta do that before I can say we’ve upgraded at the QB position.

Jets79 and Jeff M like this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

How do you blame a GM for injuries? Osemele and Davis had bad years, neither because of their talent. If you want to blame the GM for a bad move, bring up Ryan Khalil.

And no Gase is not on JD. Have you forgotten the reporting structure debacle?

12. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

agreed

as for injuries, it’s interesting because no GM can predict injuries, so I don’t blame JD for Davis getting hurt. You have to judge the decision by the facts available at the time…you can’t look back 5 years later and say we’ll it was a bad signing because he only played 1 out of 5 years. You find me the GM who can predict the future and we can talk.

Now if he’s signing a guy with injury history then that’s different…because while the GM can’t predict the future, he can look at the past and see a trend. So I’d get on JD more for the Lawson signing then for Davis. Lawson DID have a history of injuries….that was a bit of a gamble signing….JD signed a guy who’s been hurt more than once and who looked to be on the edge of breaking out…hasn’t really done it yet but looks like he could. And surprise surprise, he got hurt again, unfortunately for us, it was in training camp and he missed the whole year. Hopefully he stays healthy this year, but if he misses significant time again, then I think it’s fair to criticize that signing.

13. KingRoach

A 5 year contract would be a bad contract. GMs are judged by bad contracts not injuries.

Osemele was a Gase trade.

how funny that your corrections page needs corrections. Another example of someone who can’t take the time to make sure they use accurate info. #sad

14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

It’s so hard to say now. I love the process that has taken place and I’d give that an A but I don’t think I can give an overall letter grade until we see more of what the outcome is.

KY Jets Fan and bicketybam like this.
  15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It has been mentioned several times in the past in reply to similar posts but they still like to blame JD for Gase.

It is a strange one tbh

BroadwayAaron likes this.
  16. RonPi

RonPi Well-Known Member

Who on earth is LDT? Please be factually correct, Ladainian Thomlinson was years ago.

Crap free agent signings by JD:
    Van Roten, Perriman, Desir, Gore, Davis all suckpill to mediocre performance.

Fant and McGovern have been decent.

Corey Davis was bad because the signing was for $37,500,000, $27 million guaranteed
    for an average annual salary of $12,500,000, for a guy who played one complete
    season out of 4 previous seasons and his best year was not even for 1000 yds (984).

Carl Lawson likewise only started 2 games in 2018 and 2019 combined and only started
    14 games in his whole 4 year career, yet he got $45mil for 3 years, average annual
    salary of $15mil. Bad. Real Bad.

Tyler Kroft played only 26 of a possible 48 games in Cincinnati and Buffalo.

Why was Keelan Cole signed for $5mil when he started 23 games out of 64 in his previous
    four seasons in Jacksonville? Gee does JD have trouble with injury histories? Has JD ever heard of undrafted free agents?

Dan Feeney. Who? $3mil. LaMarcus Joyner? Vinny Curry? Ryan Kahlil $3mil guaranteed
    for 7 games, plus a cap hit of $6.7mil?

Sheldon Rankins, 2 sacks for $4.5mil?

That's some mighty powerful kool aid you're sucking down.

Ron

SOJAZ likes this.
  17. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

13-36... Any other GM would be getting fried with a 3 year record like that but since we're gonna judge JD on a curve, then I guess TBD would have to be the vote.

HomeoftheJets, SOJAZ and Brook! like this.
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Ron, are you even a fucking fan?

How the hell do you not know LDT, the guy who ousted the worse RG ie Van Roten out of the Jets OL

[​IMG]

LDT

Laurent Duvernay-Tardif

19. KingRoach

LDT aka Laurent Duvernay-Tardif was a Guard JD picked up a few weeks into the season leading to measurable improvement in the Jets OLine.

Jets fans know this.

I didn’t bother reading the rest of your post, does anyone at this point?

20. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas IMO is about an A- overall. I am a BIG fan of his. He's the very first GM IMO that actually had a great plan and he's executing it bit by bit.

His philosophy says to build from the inside out. He also managed to execute some trades gaining the Jets great draft resources. That doesn't happen unless your shrewd at your job.

The results haven't shown yet but they definitely will. The last two drafts have turned out great and have truly built this team with young, talented players that will be their core for years to come. Now, if the NFL would actually cut us some slack when designing the schedule we might reach a turning point that much quicker......