Jets can OPT OUT of lease at the big air conditioner after 2024

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ROCCO, May 26, 2022.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

They SHOULD consider knocking down Metlife Stadium and rebuilding - in about 18 years.

2. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

If they move any further away buh bye…

If they don’t make the playoffs Adios MFr.

Doesn't really matter what container this shitty team comes in…

Jets69 likes this.
  3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

At the current real estate rates, the Jets would be about to afford a new comparative stadium for about 10 billion dollars.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  4. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

Raiduhs.

5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Aha.

We had a poster named Raiderholic. Welcome to the board. :)

Not Sure likes this.
  6. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

Not me. Thanks for the welcome.:)

7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Yep. Just checked your credentials and location versus him. Not the same guy. Just wanted to wish you a warm welcome. What brought you to this board? Jets are irrelevant or over 10 years now. Are you one of the old timers from 60's/70's rehashing the rivalry? :)

8. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

I'm more interested in the process JD is trying to work, from a team building perspective. The Jets are a kind of case study for me. Also about the only AFC team I could stomach winning a ring.

There are other teams that interest me for the same reasons.

Brook! likes this.
  9. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

Also I know the struggle for relevancy just as well as you do.

horsehead and Acad23 like this.
  10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Lucas Oil Stadium seats 70,000 people and it would look fantastic located about 150 feet west of CitiField.

Cman68 and BrowningNagle like this.
  11. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

This was an upside? :D

Br4d, donkey and Cman68 like this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well.. I did have to put up with the cold hotdogs so I guess watching the Jets lose was a come up.. relatively speaking... :)

Brook! and K'OB like this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

ive been to both LV and SoFi…also Dallas and Houston last year (wife and I are doing an NFL stadium tour). Both LV and SoFi are beautiful inside and out. I wasn’t a fan of indoor stadiums when they were old school like the Superdome…ugly artificial lighting and bad astroturf. But these new stadiums are amazing…they have roofs (funnily enough both in places where it never rains or snows) but the have so much natural light that it doesn’t feel so “indoors”…

anyway I agree MetLife is one ugly ass building…I suspect they were going for something more general since it was to be shared by two teams but yeah, it’s startling to me that this is the design that got approved….like who can look at that and say “yeah…build THAT!”

Outside of that though, I thought the seats were fine and the sight lines were good when I’ve been there. The complaint about concession prices is pure nonsense though…shocker…concession prices are too high at EVERY stadium…and would have been more so at a new NY stadium.

finally…as to the seating capacity…NY is the biggest market in the country…if they can sell out a 100,000 seat stadium with good teams, then they’re gonna build 100,000 seats….this isn’t Cincinnati or Buffalo or other small markets where 100,000 seats would be feasible…I get that it doesn’t feel the same just with sheer size but that is what it is…

I think having a winning team would make a world of difference to the vibe in the stadium.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The other problem with the Meadowlands in general is that they're Meadowlands.

The Giants really screwed us all when they decided to build a stadium in a swamp because it had good connections for their fans,

15. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I went down to Houston for the Rutgers K-State Texas Bowl in 2006, and this was about the time plans were being made for MetLife's construction. I remember saying to everyone how great it would be that we'd soon have a stadium as clean, tidy and comfortable as this. (Reliant) How wrong I was. The roof makes a big difference with the feel and ambience (for lack of a better word) of the place inside. I used to be against domes for football, but retractable roofs should be standard issue for all modern parks. What's changed it for me over the years is that most of the turf is now the same anyway, and, the cost of tickets is way too high for fans to be subjected to disastrous weather. I don't embrace "The elements" anymore. Not with today's brand of football and the big price tags.

JohnnyJet1222 and Brook! like this.
  16. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on who you ask. For me I live in Fair Lawn, NJ and its about a 20 minute drive to MetLife. Easy commute and the Meadowlands is great for tailgating. I could understand Jets fans who come from NY/LI wanting them to move back to NY.

17. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

When the new garbage can with louvers opened my kids were younger. Each concession stand had its own specialties so if kid 1 wants chicken fingers I go to one place, kid 2 wants pizza... nope can't get it at the chicken place so wait on line #2, kid 3 wants cheese steak, 2 ft long hot dogs and and a pretzel (6'5 290 at his former playing weight so he ate EVERYTHING) so go to 2 more lines. At Giants stadium 'most' things could be bought at 1 place.

The food quality has gone down hill. When it first opened food network had a kiosk with buffalo chicken mac n cheese and a few other things that were good. The last 5 years the only thing I ever bought was the kosher knishes.. they are safe. Got sick 2x on raw premio sausage before switching to kinishes.

There is no 'atmosphere' in the stadium, the noise just goes up and out, the place doesn't rock like Giants stadium 'if' there is a competitive game, which there haven't been in years.

There is zero entertainment inside before games, no hall of fame walk etc. Go to Heinz field and you'll see the difference pre-game, band inside, band on the field, hall of fame walk inside etc.

And... let's not forget, the Jets and Giants did NOT build this stadium, the PSL seat holders footed most of the bill. Biggest scam going yet.

Brook! likes this.
  18. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Then why not improve food, entertainment, etc, in current stadium? Everything you mentioned does not require 3+ bil new stadium. The point I am trying to make is that building a stadium in NY will cost billions, but will not make things better. It will be even worse with NY prices and traffic. Why not improve things here? Build the roof, improve the food, get more entertainment for the fans - I am all for it. This has nothing to do though with building a new stadium.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the cost of adding a roof to the existing structure would probably rival the cost of building a whole new one

It’s a monstrosity as is, spending hundreds of millions to put a roof on an obsolete stadium, ripping out thousands of seats to make that possible is non-sensical

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member