What stats does Zach need in 2022 to call his season a success?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Jun 1, 2022.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

In Year 2, Josh Allen had a 58.8% completion percentage, 3089 yards, 20 TDs, 9 INTs, and a passer rating of 85.3. If Zach puts up those numbers, it won't be as good as Allen because Allen is an elite rushing QB, but something like those numbers is what Zach needs to put up this year.

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Zach Wilson attempted 383 passes last season. A 65% completion percentage would have equated to 249 completions. Instead he had 213 completions. I highly doubt he threw 36 passes into the dirt or a mile over an open guys head. Of the guys around him into hang onto the ball, he will need to clean up maybe 10 passes and he should be close to 65%

#22 bicketybam, Jun 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    Brook! likes this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Not going to go back through all his games but 3 dirtballs or skyballs per game certainly seems realistic for last year.

4. bicketybam

Well if that's the case then that's 39 "dirtballs and skyballs." Then you factor in the drops and throwaways and you can see that Zack could have had around a 75% completion percentage if it weren't for all those terrible passes. Wow, what could have been.

5. Ralebird

Coulda, shoulda, woulda...

Do you think there were fewer errant passes? I didn't even talk about those thrown well behind receivers. These things are going to happen but he needs to cut them way back to get the numbers up to where the consensus here says they must be.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There were nowhere near that many. There were some games he had a few, but not every game. I think the "dirtballs" were due to his second guessing himself. In any case he does need to clean those up. That said, every QB including Mahomes and Rodgers who seem to be the favorites around here, through ugly passes every game. If you want to become a good QB you can't dwell on them, you need to keep chuckin'.

bicketybam likes this.
  7. Ralebird

I really don't care how many bad throws have been made by any other QB, the problem here is those made by Wilson and how well he can cut them way back. How many crap throws were actually made is just a matter of opinion now and if you or I watched every throw made last season we'd come up with different numbers; I doubt if there is an objective source for the information.

REVISion likes this.
  8. bicketybam

There certainly weren't 3 dirtballs/unintentional airballs per game as you suggested.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The game against the Saints were probably 50% of his shitty throws for the season... :confused:

Gawddamn... when Zach is bad he's really bad.

I jest sometimes about it... but I still see him throwing balls slightly behind his targets.
    Don't know if he's still getting used to pro receivers speed when they cross the field or what. Those are wasted yacs.

He's fine when he goes vertical... at least that's what I see... though he's thrown some stinkers as well.

Let's not forget... every throw in the dirt is not an interception! :p

10. Ralebird

You're entitled to hold that opinion; mine differs.

It appears PFF compiles that information but it is not available without a subscription. Rotowire has a number called the Bad Pass % which is listed as 19.8 for Wilson, about average for the NFL. That would be 76 bad passes for the season. Any of these though must be subjective rather than objective ratings though and need to be taken with a degree of latitude.

Zach Wilson News (rotowire.com)

11. bicketybam

What's your definition of "dirtballs" and "skyballs?"

12. Ralebird

Usually when the ball hits the ground before it gets to the receiver or passes the receiver more than about nine feet off the ground.

To illustrate how different PFF and Rotowire can be for rating what is apparently the same thing, in another thread XFactor, based on PFF, claims Mims dropped 20% of his passes while Rotowire says it was 8.7%

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think early on he looked a lot more inaccurate because he seemed a bit jumpy and was adjusting to an "NFL pocket" after the injury he missed far less layups.
    You have to remember even guys like brady missed a lot of layups early on in their careers and now it's rare for him because muscle memory and him always throwing. as long as zach puts in the work and gets the reps the layups will come easy

ColoradoContrails and Acad23 like this.
  14. bicketybam

So you are counting a ball this is thrown away because no one is open or to avoid a sack?

15. Ralebird

Not at all and I would assume that would have been clear enough without needing to state it. A throw away is a throwaway, except if it is close enough to have a play made on it and should probably be something like twelve feet off the turf.

16. bicketybam

So you are contending that without 39 throws that were made to open receivers that were either thrown into the dirt or skyed 12 feet over the receivers head, Wilson would have had a 66% completion percentage. Got it.

17. Ralebird

Do the math any way you want, what I'm saying is that he had a bunch of passes off target. If all his passes were caught that would be 100% but that doesn't say anything about his ability to do that. If he continues to throw three or four passes a game into the ground or over his receivers' heads he's not getting the number to where he needs it for success.

18. bicketybam

You proposed that he threw 3 passes a game into the ground or 12 feet over a wide open receivers head. It "sounds reasonable" to you. I'm contenting that you don't know what the fuck you are talking about and the math bears that out. Carry on.

19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It's so weird... last pre-season he was throwing beautiful balls to his receivers... very catchable balls that were easy to grab & go.

As soon as the season started it went to shit... early on I said he had the yips and thought he'd get past it within a few games.

I still have faith in his arm... his head not so much.

BrooklynJetsFan and James Hasty like this.
  20. Ralebird

I really don't give the tiniest crap what you contend (as stated previously, you are entitled to your opinion) but I had no problem continuing the dialogue with you as long as you conducted the conversation like an adult. You ended that all by yourself with a middle school personal attack, congratulations.

Once again, Rotowire says 19.8% of his passes were bad passes; my figure was about half that.