Quinnen Williams

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETFUEL1580, May 26, 2022.

1. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

What do we as Jets fans make of Quinnen Williams at this point going into his fourth season? Saleh loves his defensive lineman as we know, and Williams was the third pick and although productive are we to believe he'll get any better at this point? I want to be fair to him as a player because again I have seen pretty good production, but I want other opinions from Jets fans of him. I've always been of the mindset that defensive guys who either play the interior or rush the edge make an immediate impact. Like even if the stats aren't eye popping you can see how that player changes the course of the game. I remember moving to Florida when in 1995 and seeing a young Warren Sapp in person for the Bucs, yes I know that's a sore spot for most of us and thinking wow this guy is a beast. Does anyone think Williams might be another Dwayne Robertson?

2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

he looks fat to me.

abyzmul, JackBower, FJF and 5 others like this.
  3. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Jets will have a difficult decision about him. Do they want to spend top dollar for him when his contract is up or do they want to trade him? He was pretty young when we picked him but he never showed a dominant play as an interior pass rusher. Granted, we didn't have edge rushers to make his job easier but still, to me he underperformed compared to where he was drafted. I would expect more from a Top 3 pick to be honest.

That said, he is still in the upper echelon of interior DL players so I would love to have him extended with reasonable money but if he becomes too expensive after his play this year than I would consider trading him.

4. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

His contract will all depend on this years & next years production, years 4 & 5. he's under contract for 2 more years, lets wait & see before we start talking contracts. Q said contract extension is the furthest thing from his mind. He just wants to work on getting better as a player. Of course the better he plays the more he will get paid, but he says $ is not on his mind rite now.

amuck57, papapump, LAJet and 4 others like this.
  5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Has underperformed his draft spot thus far, which may mean he will want more money than he deserves on his 2nd contract. This year is really important for him.

JetsNation06, amuck57, Jets79 and 4 others like this.
  6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He'll get paid if he deserves to get paid, currently, he does not deserve a top of the range contract, not that he has been terrible just a little underwhelming.

7. JETFUEL1580

It's funny looking at the defensive players in the first round of that draft outside of Nick Bosa of course, it's not like anyone else is elite. Jaw dropping average to say the least.

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

many drafts go like that but fans don't get it. they think oh our team could have had X but meanwhile we still picked a player thats better then 95% of others we could have picked there. for as much as people hated on daron lee, everyone we could have picked there pretty much sucked. fuller was the only one who was somewhat successful and even then we got robby as an UDFA who is a better version of that

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Exactly my thoughts.

K'OB and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  10. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I’m in line with most of the posts here.

he’s been good but not great. Maybe a bit harsh to judge as he’s been the only really good player on our DL so he hasn’t had a lot of help really. I think this year he’ll do better as we should have better play on the edge with Lawson hopefully as well as JJ, Clemons, and the Houston free agent we signed (can’t remember his name right now)

In general I think GREAT players show you they’re great pretty quickly, and regardless of how much help they get or don’t get (probably because the truly GREAT players are the ones who help other players look good rather than the other way around).

I also think that after a couple of years, if the player hasn’t shown he’s GREAT then most likely he never will. Maybe there are a few cases here and there, but I think for the most part, if a player hasn’t shown that by year 3, he’s most likely never going to show that.

warren Sapp was great quickly. So was Lawrence Taylor…so was Donald…etc.

Farrior is a good example to look at…we drafted him high, he was maybe average to a bit above average for us but never great by any means. He went on to Pittsburgh and looked a lot better, but even there he was never GREAT.

so back to Q, I think he’s pretty good…above average DT. He’s not a dominant game changer DT like Sapp was or Donald is, but to be fair, there really aren’t very many game changing DTs (which, combined with the fact we had just recently drafted another DT high, would be a good reason to question Mac’s drafting strategies or lack thereof).

so I don’t think Q will become a Sapp or Donald and be that dominant game changing force, but I do think he can be a very good player and be a key part of a strong DL if we can get some edge pressure…

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  11. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Now that we have Lawson and Johnson it will be interesting to see if Williams spends more time at DT or if he just takes his turn rotating at DE.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  12. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

He’s an above avg DT. His production is something you can get by churning late round draft picks and lower cost FA’s. Q had decent production so I wouldn’t call him a bust by any means, but he’s not worth a big contract and certainly didn’t live up to being drafted 3 overall.

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  13. JETFUEL1580

Exactly, I had just mentioned that earlier. Guys especially at his position don't just breakout and become dominate. You could see it instantly even if it's brief, Ndamukong Suh is a perfect example of this. I'm hoping with Lawson and JJ being inserted into the lineup Q will finally breakout, but if he doesn't then he is just what he is and not worthy of that #3 selection. Farrior is a great example btw.

Jets79 likes this.
  14. JETFUEL1580

Yes exactly my thoughts

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If Q had been drafted somewhere else, and Joe Douglas just signed him as a FA we'd all be thrilled! Even in the $15-$17M range. He's far better than anyone else we had and would be a clear upgrade to our Dline. This is just one way to think about it.

cval and LAJet like this.
  16. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be suprised if this goes the Tag route next off season.

I honestly feel that both sides understand that they expected to have seen more than what's been produced so far. It's not like he's been great and were being cheap. We need more and feel he knows he needs to show more to earn what he will want.

He was the third pick in the draft, he's going to get a payday no matter what based on name recognition alone.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

HomeoftheJets and abyzmul like this.
  17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I agree with this, I expect the tag. He had a solid rookie campaign and last season was only flashes. Even if he lights things up this year, it is only one season. Not enough for a long term deal.

18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think Quinnen is very much on the Leonard Williams trajectory. Pretty good, not great player. Will play decently most of his career with an outlier good year here and there during contract years.

JETFUEL1580 and PJ4Ever like this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

or the year after we trade him away.

Leicester Jet and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  20. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

considering he has been about the only bright spot on the D-line the last 3 years. I think with who we drafted and getting people healthy this should be the best D-line he's played on and l look for him to shine. i expect and HOPE that by the end of the year we will be among the best defenses in the league.