Jets can OPT OUT of lease at the big air conditioner after 2024

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ROCCO, May 26, 2022.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Its called "curb appeal" and MetLife has none. Once inside, it's nothing special and frankly, its bland. The sightlines and seats were comfortable. The giant scoreboard was big. Nothing to write home about. If by some chance I get lucky enough to go to a Raider game in Las Vegas or a Rams game in LA, I'm sure that's an experience to remember. Even the Vet down in Philly has character and the food is a quantum leap over what you'd find in MetLife. Its the house on the corner that you wouldn't give a second look to and is just OK once you get inside.

#21 Cman68, May 27, 2022
    Last edited: May 28, 2022
    KingRoach, horsehead and bicketybam like this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I agree 100% I think the stadium sucks.

JohnnyJet1222 and Cman68 like this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

And if the same ownership builds a smaller more expensive house in more crowded NY it will be better? It will be much worse! The house has everything you need. The problem is what's going on inside the house. If there is a great swinger (or pool) party in there and you are into this, you will like the house. If there a couple of guys watching a tube then it sucks. And if there is a great party going on and you still complain about the house, asking to move to the one which will be more than likely even worse, then I don't think you will ever be satisfied.

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Feel free to disagree, but if the Jets become a contender again, I'd still think the stadium is bland. Just like the current Yankee Stadium where a great team doesn't take away how devoid of character the place is, I see MetLife in the same light.

If we had a stadium like the Rams or Raiders, now that would be a house worth spending 3 hours in no matter what kind of season the team is having.

Cman68 and bicketybam like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Seems like a no brainer business decision to me to opt out

The Jets could point to the state paying for the Bills stadium, how are the downstate politicians gonna deny their downstate constituents a stadium after voting yes for one across the state in Buffalo of all places?

Woody doesn't have the chutzpah though

Cman68 likes this.
  6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

First world problems

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Not at all. They just built this one and share the cost with Giants. Of all the aesthetic arguments for new stadium, how can it possibly a good business decision to abandon after less than 15 years and build yet another one without sharing the cost? This is a several billion dollar stadium we are talking about, not some shed in your back yard.

#27 Borat, May 27, 2022
    Last edited: May 27, 2022
    Cman68 and bicketybam like this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He won't be able to afford ice cubes made from the tears of an albino peruvian monk of he sticks his neck out for a stadium now. That is young man business.

Cman68 and BrowningNagle like this.
  9. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

have you ever been to another team’s stadium out of curiosity? Heinz? Gillette? Heck even Buffalo? There’s next to nothing but some pasted banners and LED’s turned green for the Jets. Go to any other stadium and you are immersed in the history of the team, everything is the color of the team, there’s literally nothing like that at MetLife. In fact my son made a hilarious and sadly true statement when I took him to ML stadium for his first Jets game. He asked me if we were watching the NY Jets or the Bud Light Jets. The entire stadium is immersed in beer ads. Probably 5-10 ads per anything Jets related. As someone who is years in recovery from alcohol addiction myself I actually found it disturbing. Don’t get me wrong, every stadium promotes their beer, but it’s nothing like MetLife.

nycarl likes this.
  10. bicketybam

The Jets financed half of the stadium and you want Woody to just walk away?

Cman68 and Borat like this.
  11. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I hate our current stadium. I'm all for this

12. BrowningNagle

you gotta strike while the irons hot. States are handing out funding for new stadiums like McDonalds passes out hamburgers.

The Jets can opt out of New Jersey. You kidding me, what an opportunity. Having their own stadium in New York City would double the value of the franchise

13. bicketybam

He's still paying off the loans on MetLife.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

Leicester Jet and nycarl like this.
  15. ROCCO

ROCCO Active Member

Yes, the Giants have the option to leave as well.

I was at the very first game at ML and I was unimpressed with the blandness and the very neutral feel of the place. After the game I was looking forward to going outside into the night to see this new shit hole radiate brightly on the outside with "Jets Green", only to be underwhelmed one more time when you could barely notice it and only at different sections of the outside of the stadium. Indeed, the Yonkers Raceway site would have been PERFECT. Retrofitting the shell of Shea Stadium, enclosing that stadium, hundreds of luxury boxes, and adorned in Green & White would have been cherry. One more thing: The PA announcer at ML for Jets games is a flat-out embarrassment as is the constant fucking siren that gives you a splitting headache before the start of the 2nd quarter.

Brook! and Cman68 like this.
  16. bicketybam

How do you know Ira Hernowitz has more business knowledge than me? I'm not saying he doesn't because I really don't know much about him.

Anyway, in his article be states that having their own stadium would increase the value of the franchise by 1 billion and the new stadium would cost close to 3 billion. He also assumes the Giants would buy out the Jets potion of the stadium and that banks would be lining up to lend Woody the money needed to find the new 3 billion dollar stadium. Nowhere does he say the stadium (at close to 3 billion) would be publicly financed.

Did you even read the entire article or did you just go with the first Google result that came up? And he wants it built in Queens. I'd never go. As bad as NJ is for me, Queens would be worse.

Borat likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I have been to other stadiums, Philly a while back, and most recently in Florida, and I couldn't give two shits less. It sucks losing in these stadiums though. I didn't notice beer advertisements. To me it's all about relative convenience and the game itself. We just disagree on aesthetics portion of it, and I don't claim to be the mist artistic person in the world. I love watching live games, the action, celebrating success with fellow fans, the tailgate before the game, which unfortunately a lot of times was the best part of the experience when I come to see the Jets.

Westside stadium would take away the later, be way more expensive, and it will be much harder to use amenities and to get in and out in smaller place with 80K people vs the larger one. Space is one enormous advantage of NJ vs NYC. And I bet you last $ you will see as many beer commercials on the Westside as well. They can improve things you are mentioning in the current stadium. That's really team's doing, not the building itself. I wouldn't be against it. That and the roof, and hopefully more fans will be happy. Moving to a new inferior location though, with a lot less space and even more overpriced, which takes away things we already have, is bad idea IMO.

18. bicketybam

Not according to Ira Hernowitz!

Borat likes this.
  19. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

They should build a proper stadium where Nassau Coliseum is now.

20. BrowningNagle

To answer your 1st question I know he is more knowledgeable because of your low knowledge, it’s a low bar.

And your last questions- I read the entire thing, it was very interesting and so true about the current stadium. Yes he didn’t even consider public investment, which would make it even sweeter. He was modeling a more conservative approach, what a deal if they could get public funding (they could)

nycarl likes this.