Was it Smart for the Jets to Draft Breece Hall?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, May 14, 2022.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

the only good part was JD did have enough assets he was able to get us 2 extra 1sts and an extra 2nd with adams and darnold. our roster was really bad though. only Q remains now form 3 years ago. thats insane turnover

Jets79 and REVISion like this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

How tall is Hall? I've see 5'11" and 6'1". Which is it?

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

probably 5-11 because that was the combine measurement

4. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

B. Hall is both 5’11 and 6’1.

themorey and FJF like this.
  5. KingRoach

I’ll keep it brief and rephrase my original post:

Based on their actions and words, the CS and GM wants to build Thru the trenches.

You mention 9 picks… cool.

The 1st ever 1st rd pick JD had, does he play in the trenches?

In 3 drafts, how many times has JD picked a trench player in the 1st round?

JD had 2 bigger FA signings last year and 2 bigger ones this year…. Out of those 4 players, how many are trench players?

Should I post some links of the 100s of times they’ve said “we want to build Thru the trenches”?

I know your not silly enough to assume “build Thru the trenches” means “exclusively”. No one is suggesting JD and BS intended to spend all 9 of the picks you referenced on the trenches.

Answer Key:
    Yes
    Every Draft
    Half of all big FA signings
    No please don’t, I see that my take was comically bad and I’m so happy more people didn’t call me out

6. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

And James Morgan was just cut from Indianapolis....................................in May. In order to make room for Nick Foles.

125th pick in the 2020 draft.

RochesterJet and apjbfc like this.
  7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Gotta be able to run in November and December to win games consistently. If beast stays healthy, we SHOULD be able to run.

cval likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Just a quick reminder that the answer to the thread title is yes.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Br. Hall was born in both Pennsylvania and Kansas, and in two different years.

10. BroadwayAaron

This is hands down JD’s worst pick. Was terrible the second he handed the card in and even worse now.

bicketybam likes this.
  11. bicketybam

That one definitely had me scratching my head, but then again some think that is the round to draft your FQB.

12. KingRoach

I’d heard a while back that Morgan was a Gase pick. In HS, the kid was a total football nerd who used to watch nfl games on TV, draw out plays that caught his eye and practice them with his receivers after hours. If it looked good, he would bring it to the coach.

Knowing what we know now, Gase/JD may have noticed Sam was lacking in the film room/ obsession to become better dept. Morgan could have been drafted for the sole purpose of trying to help Sam be a better professional QB.

Brook! and apjbfc like this.
  13. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Possible I guess but I’d find it hard to believe any team would use a 4th round pick like that…in the 4th round you’re looking for players

Regardless…that first draft was a disaster and looks more so every day. Most of those players won’t be on the roster two years later…so far the only player to write home about is Bryce Hall…who looks like was just demoted to CB3, though I think he held up well. Our P is ok I guess. Becton is very good when he’s on the field but he’s missed more games than he’s played at this point so hard to say it’s a terrible pick but hard to say it’s been a successful pick also.

but knowing what we know now three years later, and based on JDs stated principles that he works closely with the coaches, I’ll take that as fact and chalk the bad draft up to JD working with Gase to pick players that fit Gase’s system…I’m guessing LeFluer probably would not have pounded the table for Becton and would have preferred a smaller more agile LT.

the other reason I do think Gase had a lot to do with it is that these last two drafts seem so much better not just in terms of players but in terms of fit. So have to assume JD and the coaches are in sync.

all good…

of course, the other side of the coin is that you would expect these drafts to be better since we had multiple first round picks … but you have to give JD credit for putting the team in that position. Trading away Adams, who is a very good player, made all the sense in the world especially for two first round picks…he was a good player but he doesn’t impact games … it didn’t result in wins here and it hasn’t resulted in wins in Seattle either…I’m sure the Seahawks would take that trade back if they could…

Acad23 likes this.
  14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

No chance. The upside to hitting on a QB is so high that they're almost never the worst pick unless you trade a ton of assets to move up and take one way earlier than most other teams see fit.

This will trigger a lot of people here but JD's worst pick by far so far is:

[​IMG]

Taken 11th overall, taken while Wirfs was on the board (already a pro bowler), has played 15 games over 2 full seasons and has mounting off the field concerns.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

James Morgan was far worse because he wasn't good in college either and displayed nothing that said he could be an NFL player. Which is why he isn't.

bicketybam likes this.
  16. REVISion

Yeah but that's not totally surprising for a 4th round pick. 11 overall is worth something like 15X more than the average 4th round pick.

Mekhi represented a MUCH more valuable pick used on a MUCH less impactful position. Good QBs are around 5X more valuable than equally good players at any other position.

17. BroadwayAaron

This is where we meet a fork in the road. I don't care at all about perceived value. Becton was by all accounts a legitimate option at 11 and was viewed by many as the top LT. Of course you take him if you're looking for an LT. Him being a bust (looking that way at least) isn't because of his talent. Meanwhile James Morgan should have been pouring Captain Morgan's in a dive bar the day after he graduated.

LogeSection2RowJ and bicketybam like this.
  18. REVISion

There's no perceived value, it's quite literally true that QBs are multiples more valuable than any other position and that 11th overall picks are many multiples more valuable than 4th round picks.

19. BroadwayAaron

Missing the point. I don't care about the value of the picks. I'm talking about the tangibles. Morgan was never good and didn't show signs of being able to be good. He shouldn't have been drafted. We drafted him in the 4th round. That's a big difference from the 11th overall pick who was potentially the best player at our biggest position of need being a likely bust because he can't stay healthy.

20. bicketybam

One of the funniest things I've ever read on this forum!

BroadwayAaron likes this.