Has JD vastly improved the Jets since taking over?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KingRoach, May 21, 2022.

?

Do the Jets have a better roster now than 3 years ago?

1. Yes

58 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. Too Early To Tell

25 vote(s)
    28.1%
  4. I Hate The Jets

3 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Looking at the roster from before JD took over, are the Jets a better team now?

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Kudos to narrowing it down to the only two possible answers to this question.

KingRoach likes this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I can't believe you can't choose both options.

KingRoach, Jojo and Noam like this.
  4. coloradojet

coloradojet Active Member

Vastly improved is correct. JD if he keeps it up with the smart off season acquisitions and drafts like the last two drafts he might turn the Jets into a winner for many consecutive years. He understands that the OL and DL are the two most important units along with the QB and yet he was able to fix those three plus the WR, RB,CB, TE units. DE looks very promising.The only two units that just need depth are the LB and safety. Remains to be seen if the DL will be good against the run.

I have a lot of confidence in Zach. He had probably the worst support of any QB in the league and I think he will have a great second year behind a good OL and with all the talent at the RB, WR, TE positions. He sure has a lot of arm talent.

The other oustanding things about JD is that he understands how important it is to have enough room under the salary cap and make smart trades. I think JD gives the Jets a definite advantage over most NFL teams. I really like Lafleur who has proven himself already. I don't feel as confident about Saleh but hopefully he will be up to the task.

JD so far has done a masterful job. His first draft was not great but can still be OK if Becton works out.And maybe even Mims. But I think Gase had a lot to do with his first draft. He hired JD after all.

5. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

No doubt about it. Like previous post, if we draft like this again and again, we have just as much right to the afc east as any other in the division, for repeated titles,, and should make AFC east the best division. All the teams are improving there

6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

He hasn't so far. We'll know more this season.

So far he's the best deal maker we've ever had. And he's been really good at securing us a top draft position.

7. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Show me the wins...and I'll show you an improved Roster.

Ralebird, ouchy, NYJetsO12 and 4 others like this.
  8. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

6-27 under his full watch, has he improved the team, not at all, to this point.

I expect a vast improvement this season, and that requires Wilson to make a major leap, this franchise can sell change, and the great culture they have now all they want, it's put up, or shut up, period.

Bellys Lies, egelband, Seneca and 4 others like this.
  9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Roll up, roll up, all in here if you please.

Miserablists first.

[​IMG]

10. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I'm optimistic, which is something I haven't been in several seasons.

egelband, Seneca and ouchy like this.
  11. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

The Jets are in much better shape than when JD inherited the team. 1) considering the roster from MM days. OL, WR, RB, CB, DL, are all younger & vastly improved, QB to be determined however I'll take Zach over Sam, including depth at most positions. 2) cap & dead money hell. We now have the lowest dead $ in the league, 3 years ago we had most dead $. We also have had 2 years of 60+mil cap space & 2 excellent drafts. 3) coaching staff , I'll take Saleh over Gase, & so would the players, overall better culture & player attitude. JD has taken this team out from under the circus tent to be a more respected around the NFL. When was the last time the media talked positively about the Jets before this year. The past 3 years JD has gotten better with drafts, FA signings & trades (Leo, Adams, Sam, Herndon, Cashman). Let's hope the CS can follow in his footsteps & improve each year. All I can say is I'm feeling much better about this team than 3.5 years ago when JD took over. IN JOE I TRUST!

#11 BudJet, May 21, 2022
    Last edited: May 22, 2022
  12. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

JD Is the man who has what It takes to be a top tier GM In this league.

The wins are lacking under a true rebuild. The wins are lacking because of a setback that was created through poor decision making by the owners. Gase/JD pairing was a setback for several reasons.

Now, looking at the two rosters. It's incredible to see a true plan put into actual action over the course of three off-seasons. It's night and day.

Now, we don't know for sure how all these guys will pan out but he has attacked the most crucial positions of the team, upgraded this team at every position almost, has used trades and the draft as true assets, has made brilliant trades, has kept us In good cap shape, and hasn't made ANY desperate moves.

The dude just doesn't flinch.

I think we should lock him up for another 10 years right now on the basis of he has proven to truly go after things that need to be had to give us a chance.

He may not get them all right but the idea Is there and this Is someone that will eventually get It right, If he hasn't already.

Lock him up Is my vote.

PJ4Ever, Jeff M, Nyjets4eva and 5 others like this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The results haven't been there yet, so I can't go with yes. But, there's one thing now which didn't exist ever since the Rex/Tanny days. We finally have a HC and GM on the same page after so many arranged marriages between the positions.

The 2021 draft class showed a lot more in year 1 than the 2020 group did in its its first year and I liked most of this year's selections.

I'd like to see a willingness to trade down next year to recoup some of the capital given up this year and last.

So, I want to believe he has, but the bottom line is the team has won 6 games over the last two years. We will see.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

He’s been securing us top draft positions by putting a pitiful product out on the field.
    That’s not a commendable achievement.

To the OPs question, we went from a mediocre/poor team, to a dreadful team under JD, now potentially back up to mediocre.
    So no JD has not drastically improved the team to date.

I think the long term direction is getting better tho as each FA and Draft has shown improvement. Especially if Zach can improve, the future may get brighter..

#14 BacktoQueens, May 21, 2022
    Last edited: May 21, 2022
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The Yankees have the best record in baseball, and Yankees fans (at least the vocal ones) seem to think less of Brian Cashman than Jets fans (at least on TGG) think of Douglas. Something's wrong with that.

16. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I want to say yes. But the most you can say is we are younger with less crappy contracts. Until it translates to wins, I can't vote Yes.

Ralebird and ouchy like this.
  17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

JD is the 1st GM in a long time with a sensible plan for the Jets.

18. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's "same ol' jets" syndrome, or what it is... but how anyone can not easily say JD has vastly improved the team, is beyond me. Which position is weaker, than when he took the helm? The question is: will they jell/grow together, & become a team?

19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The poll originally only had two options, the top and the bottom.

20. burf

burf Well-Known Member

I was actually responding more to the comments, than the poll.