Was it Smart for the Jets to Draft Breece Hall?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, May 14, 2022.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It is certainly a step in the right direction, it has been so long.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

no they didn’t. They had one of the best pass rushers in the game in Hendrickson. Look what their defense did in the playoffs

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

They were below average in yards and points allowed per game the entire year. They don’t even make the playoffs if it wasn’t for their 7th ranked offense. They gave up 371 yards per game throughout the playoffs. That’s about 20 ypg less than the Jets who had the worst defense in the league statistically.

Also the point was about how QB/WR doesn’t mean shit if there’s no OL and the Bengals are a direct contradiction to that regardless of the Super bowl.

#183 BroadwayAaron, May 21, 2022
    Last edited: May 21, 2022
    REVISion likes this.
  4. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

the jury is still out on 2021 but I doubt najee ends up being the best back. he avg 3.9 ypc. both javonte williams and elijah mitchell looked better to me

jonothan taylor was not the #1 back in his draft. opinions varied greatly that year and there was no consensus … he was the 3rd back taken

josh jacobs was the consensus top back and been among the best of his class (I think Henderson on the rams is just as good but that’s splitting hairs) … but after a strong rookie year, he’s been under 4 ypc over the last two years and the raiders didn’t pick up his option

backs are just too dime a dozen to trade up for imo

BrowningNagle likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

We dont have to go back and forth about consensus picks and who we think will be better, but I want to focus yet again on the fact that we gave up a 5th rounder to take Hall. A pick that rarely produces a starter and is easily replaceable.

6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

While I didnt think trading up was the best move, this team needs to start playing competitive football, and RB is a position where a rookie has the best chance to make an immediate impact.
    So if that move helps jump start the JETS offense, and takes pressure off Zach Wilson (speakin of which, I think it's also a move to help grade him as well), then it's an OK one.

PJ4Ever, Jets79 and ouchy like this.
  7. K'OB

YOU

[​IMG]

Others

8. BroadwayAaron

9. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

I believe the plan was thibs at ten if he was still there. I think the backup was JJ at ten, but that changed on the fly when Wilson was still available.

10. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Yup. fifth round picks rarely are impact players. sticking on a roster and actually impacting the game are totally different. 32 teams. 53 man roster. 1700 players. a lot of positions that cannot be filled in the early rounds no matter what.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  11. K'OB

So you think he lied to JJ about coming for him then?

That is what he said on the phone to him, it really is a choice of the two, you believe he was taking Thibs at 10 but told another player that he was the guy they wanted at Edge, we're coming to get you man?

12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

That's just not true lol, we have an example from last season proving as much with the Bengals. Elite QB, elite WR group, awful OL.

Elite WRs allow you to work around a bad OL because you can get those receivers the ball before any rusher can get to your QB no matter how bad your line is. There is no pass rush that consistently beats a 2.3 second release.

That OL/WR relationship does not work in reverse. A good OL will allow your WRs a bit more time to get open but it's not going to turn Jeff Smith into Ja'Marr Chase no matter how good the line is.

The bit about DBs and DL isn't true either - go look at the best defenses in any given year over the last 5-10 years and you'll much more frequently find they had elite secondaries than elite DL.

Sorry but basically none of your post is backed by evidence. Most of the evidence we have implies the exact opposite. Building through the trenches is something people parrot because it was a truism 30 years ago. The game has changed though and so have the most important positions. You win now by stocking up on weapons and getting those weapons the ball quickly in space, and conversely by stocking up on guys in the secondary who can limit how much damage those guys on other teams do to you.

13. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

No, I do not think it was a lie.

after all the proof is in the fact that they did go get JJ when the opportunity arose, so how could it have been a lie ???

I should have said the hope was thibs at 10, rather than the plan was thibs at ten, since I do not believe anybody really thoughts thibs was still gonna be there.

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I said the teams that win the most every year have top lines. The Bengals went 10-7 last year. Nine other teams had better records than they did. If you really think that winning begins up front in the NFL is outdated, we just wont agree. Star skill players can only carry a team so far.

If your going to use one team getting hot in the playoffs and making the SB as your evidence, I could make an argument that having a star QB isn't necessary. Rams with Geoff, Niners with Garrappaolo and Kapernick, Eagles with Foles, Ravens with Flacco, even the Giants with Manning. None of these teams had a top receiving core either. The fact is, after QB, success in the NFL all comes back to how strong you are in the trenches. Not who has the best WRs.

15. BroadwayAaron

I mean, this is true.

16. REVISion

Yeah but those top teams that win the most every year also usually have good WRs and good secondaries. Can't selectively choose one thing they have while ignoring that they also have the things I'm arguing are more important.

17. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Our CS and FO have embraced the “outdated” belief in building Thru the trenches. I guess we will see this year and next if it’s still a winning strategy or if it’s outdated.

18. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Top teams that win the most every year usually have great:
    -Pick 4-
    QB
    WR
    OL & RB
    Secondary
    DLine
    CS

19. BroadwayAaron

I think our FO has embraced the current belief in building through the trenches while also acknowledging that means nothing without playmakers. Finally.

REVISion and cval like this.
  20. REVISion

Not really, they've just prioritized OL more than Mac who didn't do anything to help the OL. JD had to play catch up to fix the OL because Mac spent his entire tenure acting like it didn't exist.

Our first+second round picks during JD's tenure have been: CB, WR, DE, RB, QB, OL, WR, OL, WR. I wouldn't say that's especially line-heavy. The group contains more outside players than linemen.

I'm beating a dead horse here but it really is stunning how bad our GMs had been before JD. They all were not only bad at identifying talent but also prioritized relatively unimportant positions like IDL and ILB. You could honestly draft better than our past GMs just by throwing darts at a board, because at least you'd target an important position every now and then.

ColoradoContrails, Jets79 and PJ4Ever like this.