Was it Smart for the Jets to Draft Breece Hall?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, May 14, 2022.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I'll be honest. some of this is an objectively poor take. You can't fault someone for the strength of the draft class alone.

and i'm gonna be completely fair here as well. Was not a fan of the sauce pick and still not. not at 4. I think he's overrated as a prospect. I didn't think he was worth a top 5 pick but I hope he proves me wrong

as far as wilson at 10 I did a lot of work on the WR class personally and wilson was the only one I liked as a top 10 pick. I think comparatively as a prospect he's similar to jerry jeudy. He checks all the boxes of what to look for in a successful NFL WR. I

think it was a good pick. i'm glad it wasn't london or burks

as far as JJ at 26 we all agree it's a steal but you can't just say luck instead of giving credit. the whole draft is in a sense luck. JD had inside info and knew he was gonna fall. he started to trade up at 15. he even told him we were gonna come get you. he still made the pick other teams didn't

for hall, we jumped houston who was gonna take him and gave up very little (a 5th) a 5th has a low chance to work out

thats a good 4 picks.

now for me personally, sure I can look back and go based on my drafts combined with what we wanted
    KT at 4
    wilson 10
    hall 35
    and for 38 either dean or travis jones. plus have the extra 5th. so it goes to do you think the increase of KT over JJ is worth the decrease of a jones/dean compared to sauce. Either way it's all subjective and it's hard to say JD did bad even if you don't agree with the prospects. FWIW I like my version better but I still like JJ alot as well as wilson and hall. more important he made his CS staff happy. JD gives the CS what they want. saleh wanted sauce and JJ, MLF wanted wilson and hall. they both got their guys. not sure how thats a bad thing?

Jets79, cval, Acad23 and 3 others like this.
  2. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Another what i would have done. Just futile. I assume people want to say, sometime in the future, see I told you so, if their hypo picks turn out great. You, in your make believe world, got a wr,rb,edge and dl. the jet in the real world got a wr,rb,edge and db. So why is your make believe any different than the real? If JJ is good, do you care about KT? If gardner is good, do you care about jones?

but again, every pick changes every other pick. The easiest example is the darnold year. Suppose the giants do what everyone thought they would do when they were on the clock, choose darnold. Almost the entire makeup of the NFL might have changed at that point. The jets pick allen. the jets pick jackson. the jets pick rosen. the jest pick anyone else. That change in the giants pick causes a huge number of other changes, team by team. sure, in later rounds you can say i would have picked so and so, and probably would have been correct. But in the earlier rounds?

3. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

Giants were locked into Barkley.

had the browns taken Sam, the jets would have taken mayfield.

not sure what went down in Cleveland, but mayfield played hurt last season and could still possibly be a decent Qb in the right situation.

cval and westiedog1 like this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I was really hoping the Jets wound up with Mayfield after the trade up to the #3. He was the only guy who had walked into multiple underdog situations on the depth chart in college and come out on top in each case. His mechanics were decent. He had the attitude to play in the Big Apple. Darnold on the other hand was handed a great situation at USC as a 5-star prospect with a lot of talent around him and he'd already said he wasn't changing his bad mechanics when he got to the NFL. They were like polar opposites. Darnold was going to have to somehow change both his mindset and his mechanics to be good with the Jets and neither ever happened. Mayfield would have been good right off the bat.

Just the usual Jet luck that they traded up to wind up with the second worst prospect in a draft that had a few good ones.

REVISion and Jeff M like this.
  5. bleedgreen

thanks for responding. but suppose giants didn't? that's the whole point of saying :i would have done something different:. Mayfield than darnold. Then what? Nobody knows. So if you were Gettleman, your non-barkely pick changes everything. If you were douglas, your non gardner pick changes everything.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

2021 - Najee Harris, led all rookie RBs in yards, receptions, receiving yards and TDs
    2020 - Jonathan Taylor, no explanation necessary... he wasn't the first RB taken but was clearly the top prospect
    2019 - Josh Jacobs, far and away the best RB from that class two seasons in... Montgomery is the next closest

You have to go back to 2018 to find the last time the top RB heading into the draft wasn't the best RB in the class and Saquon only flopped because of injuries, not talent. I'd say recent history shows the consensus top guy heading into the draft doing pretty damn well in the NFL.

7. bleedgreen

Still, the question is, how would Mayfield have done on jets? unknowable of course. cleveland obviously is dissatisfied with him. maybe in the end ZW becomes superstar and the jets luck was good not getting Mayfield. Crystal ball gazing until training camp when there might be real stuff going on

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Gardner was an ok pick on the #4. I think having the Giants take Thibodeaux right behind them at #5 probably caught the Jets off-guard. There were a lot of people in the 5-9 range who could have been taken over Thibodeaux and I think the Jets probably entertained thoughts that he might get down there. I think they take Gardner anyway on the #4 even if they know it is going to push them out of the top end Edge market.

Lots of people like Jermaine Johnson but the facts are that he was an older one year wonder. It was legitimate to wonder whether or not his career would look more like FSU 21 or what had happened at Georgia in the preceding 3 seasons. He didn't even start at Georgia. He played a year at Independence Community College as a true Freshman and the 4 years at the bigger schools. Last year was his fifth year in a college weight room and training program and that gave him a big advantage over the much younger field he was dominating. It is a legitimate question whether he can maintain that kind of performance at the NFL level where almost everybody is going to be at his level or above.

9. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Most people believe we got the top-rated player at 3 skill positions (DB, WR, and RB). If you choose to look through a "harsher lens" in order to find fault, then that says more about your bias than it does about the quality of this draft.

10. bleedgreen

It is a legit question. As it is for every pick. Such a huge jump from college to pro. Why drafting is so hard, with so many surprise hits and misses.

Br4d likes this.
  11. GasedAndConfused

I think you misread my post, I was clearly defending JD and the draft against others who were shitting on it

12. bleedgreen

Then my bad

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Corner wasn't really a big position of need for us after signing Gardner to a 4 year deal. It never hurts to upgrade, but using the 4th overall on one is a luxury pick with our roster.

Completely disagree with this part. After QB the most important groups are both sides of the line.
    I agree that the RBs that are projected to be first rounders are usually good. Like you mentioned, Jacobs and Harris the last 3 years - and Barkley pre -injury. My point was, if they are not rated that high than it becomes a much bigger crap shoot. I don't mind trading up for Hall, but people acting like it was an unquestionably good move are a little overboard. Same with those being a little prickly about losing a 5th. But its not a completely invalid concern that should be ignored all together.

It says more about our drafting/team building philosophy than any personal bias. I could be wrong. I realize your a completely unbiased Jets fan.

#173 ouchy, May 20, 2022
    Last edited: May 20, 2022
  14. GasedAndConfused

all good

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Do you have quantifiable evidence backing this up? Because there have been recent studies on this using recent data and they imply the opposite, that generally the further away from the ball a position is the more important it is.

That stands to reason to me given what a passing league it is now. The game is won and lost by passing offenses and in turn, how well defenses are at stopping those high powered offenses.

This isn't the 90's where the lines may well have been the most important positions.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

You could have the best QB and WRs in the league and it wouldn't matter if the o-line was trash. Same can be said about DBs if the D-line is weak. A units success all starts up front. That hasn't changed.

The teams with the most wins year in and year out are the same ones that have the most talented lines supporting their skill players.

17. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

The only thing I will say abt this draft and leadership is... They go and get guys they want. We dont wait, or see what other teams are planning to do.

It seems like our GM has a philosophy and he sticks to it. He knows what players he wants for the team. He is calculated and doesnt stick to the traditional ways. His trading in the draft are risks, but they are very calculated. He knows the players value he is trading for and the pick he is trading back.

Personally I might not agree with all the picks, and I dont think anyone agrees with them all. But it is so refreshing to see a GM who understands the needs of the team, and has a vision to get things done.

themorey, Jets79, ouchy and 2 others like this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Bengals disagree. They got by solely on their QB and WRs. And making it to the super bowl but not winning still absolutely matters. I’d take the fucking wildcard game let alone the super bowl.

REVISion likes this.
  19. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Breece Hall may end up being the gem of this draft.

Brook!, Jeff M and westiedog1 like this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

A far better read Brad, it is the worry he could be a one year wonder, the only thing that makes you think JD was never after Thibs was the phone call to JJ on draft night, either that or they lie like fuck to all the prospects, if they tell a bloke they are coming for him and then pick a player higher than him in the same position then it isn't a good look really, so you have to think JD was never interested in Thibs or the EDge prospects.