Was it Smart for the Jets to Draft Breece Hall?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, May 14, 2022.

1. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I dont mind him moving up and sacrificing picks. Joe D filled out role players plenty first, and is now trying to secure top end talent. The CBs last year were pretty solid, Echols Hall MC2 and now upgraded with Reed and Sauce. Oline fillled in role players and now upgrade with AVT Tomlinson and (hopefully) Becton.

of course it may not work, but at some point, you have to make the jump and try to get that top tier elite talent by sacrificing some assets

2. NYsportsfan1962

Just for a reference here are the last ten years of 5th rounders for the Jets.

2020 - Bryce Hall
    2019 - Blake Cashman
    2018 - none
    2017 - Jordan Leggett, Dylan Donahue
    2016 - Brandon Shell
    2015 - Jarius Harrison
    2014 - Jerimiah George
    2013 - Oday Aboushi
    2012 - None
    2011 - Jeremy Kerley

In fact if you look back to the beginning of the Titans to now present day perhaps Erik Coleman was by far their best pick in the 5th round in 2004. Bryce Hall may be a top 5. The rests are fill ins and partial starters. Pretty pathetic list. Sure you can get lucky with guys like Tyrek Hill, George Kittle, Stephan Diggs, Richard Sherman but they are unicorns. Point is to give up a 5th for the best back in the draft and someone who will help Zach progress is a huge no brainer.

However, the Jets did draft a HOF'er in 1963, John Mackey, however he signed with the Colts.

ColoradoContrails, stinkyB and Brook! like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

It’s still absolutely nuts to me that in the year 2022 people are upset about a dart throw in the fifth round being sacrificed for the best player in the draft at his position that could help our potential franchise quarterback immensely.

4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

They sacrificed enough roster quality to go from 5-12 to 4-13 in 2021. I'll take the picks over winning one more game with Sam and Adams.

Imagine if Douglas gave Adams that albatross of a contract that Seattle did.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'm beating up on him for being a 6 year old who wanted an ice cream cone right now.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

Joe Douglas got a 6th round pick for Blake fucking Cashman. That 5th is so easily replaceable.

7. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

and we could have only WISHED Idzik dealt some 2014 draft capital to move up for even ONE special player. Just compare JD's methods to what should have happened in 2014 and this discussion ends here.

8. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Sometimes you gotta grab that ice cream before it melts

9. BroadwayAaron

The choices were an ice cream cone right now or one of those shitty middle school cafeteria ice cream cups with frozen cherry on top to make it look fancy. All ice cream is not created equal.

KingRoach and stinkyB like this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

This, on top of the fact that a 5th round pick flames out more often than sticks around.

11. NYJFOREVER

People forget the Idzik 12 exists.

I do think Joe Douglas would do significantly better than Idzik did if Douglas made all 12 picks, but you're better off packaging those later round picks to move up and down the board on days 2 and 3. As long as you aren't significantly shorting yourself picks (I.e., get 5-7 players a year, you're good)

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

Absolutely. I don't remember who said it after the Hall trade up but it was one of the NFL Network guys... the Jets can't afford to draft 10 guys and hope you find a starter. The time for that passed. We have a QB in year 2 of his development and the only way to develop a QB in today's NFL is to give him weapons upon weapons. Trading for the best RB in the class while sacrificing most likely a rotational guy at best falls right in line with that plan.

Im sure the Bills are losing tons of sleep over the 4th rounder they gave up for Dawson Knox or the 5th they gave up for Cody Ford.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Come on guys have we forgotten? Football is not about finding great players it is about accumulating picks and draft a lot of players. Surely drafting 2 average to below-average players is better than drafting a future pro bowler?

14. toddhershkowitz

toddhershkowitz Active Member

15. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I'm probably too optimistic at times when it comes to this team, but I have seen a lot through the years and am really pleased with this draft class no matter what deals occurred to get it. It's exactly what we needed at this time. Hell, I'm not sure we have the right coach, but we now have a good group of young talent that we have been starved for.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Plot twist: The best running back in the draft ends up being some guy drafted in the fifth round.

All Gas No Shake and stinkyB like this.
  17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

As long as those average picks get the team to 8 or 9 wins then who cares /s /s /s /s

is that enough off the sarcasm emoji to be noticed? ;)

cval likes this.
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You need to name names my friend lol

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Let's see...Tyler Allgeier, Snoop Connor, Jerome Ford, Kyren Williams, and Ty Chandler were the 5th round RBs. So one of those guys. Maybe Snoop, he sounds like a dogg.

All Gas No Shake, K'OB and stinkyB like this.
  20. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

A deep discussion about ice cream....