Keelan Cole leaves Jets for Raiders

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Borat, May 12, 2022.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Hard to get too upset over losing Keenan Cole... if this move breaks the JETS, they're already broken

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  2. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I think if Moore stays healthy, he will be the team's leading receiver in yards.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  3. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Of course, but is there any roster in the league which is truly adequately covered in case of injury at every position? They all have positions at which they are thin.

Jets79 likes this.
  4. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The big thing to remember in this situation is the additions of Uzomah and Conklin.

Both of these guys outproduced Crowder and Cole last year.

So factor in the additions of GW, Uzomah, Conklin, and Breece and I think that while our WR room may not look as deep as it did last year, I think our "pass catchers" are much deeper and better than what we had last year.

5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

We are discounting year 2 in the system with Davis and Year 2 in the NFL for Moore. They should both be a lot better. GW will struggle like every rookie but if Moore and Davis play as expected that could mean 3rd and Fourth corners on GW. Not to mention Berrios clutch on 3rd and 4 the down. If Mims steps up and some other UDFA rookie steps up we are as deep as you can get in the NFL at receiver.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don't think I could even think that if I tried.

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

So you think our WR room right now is deeper than it was last year?

8. BroadwayAaron

For sure, and I say that without Garrett Wilson even signing his contract yet. Crowder is a better WR than Berrios but Berrios and Zach have chemistry plus Berrios can be used as an all-around weapon which Crowder never was. In terms of straight up value from the position, I think that's an upgrade. Cole was not good, Mims has been bad but I think he could replicate what Cole gave us if given the same amount of snaps.

I'm not saying we're elite at the position by any means but compared to last year it's hard for me to say we are in worse shape.

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

While I agree with your points, it's hard for me to look at this WR room as currently constructed and say it's deeper than last year.

Are they "better" overall? Probably, depends on how much Elijah progresses and how much GW can contribute out of the gate though.

When you lose a proven WR in Crowder and a decent backup in Cole and only add GW, I have a hard time seeing how we're deeper.

But, back to my OP, I think overall our "pass catchers" are better and deeper so I guess this is sort of a moot point.

ouchy, PJ4Ever and BrowningNagle like this.
  10. BroadwayAaron

I don't think you can look at it solely as losing a proven WR in Crowder because we're replacing him with a guy who started to prove himself and produced as much/more than Crowder when given the opportunity. It's hard to do a straight up "when this guy was out, this guy put up these numbers" with Crowder and Berrios because they played in the same games but one was targeted much more than the other... so I'll do it by targets.

When each guy was targeted 6 or more times:

Crowder - 9 games, 7 targets per game, 5 rec per game, 45 ypg, 2 TD (2 receiving, 0 rushing)
    Berrios - 5 games, 9 targets per game, 6 rec per game, 55 ypg, 2 TD (1 receiving, 0 rushing)

There's reason to believe that if given the same amount of snaps, Berrios can be just as or more productive than Crowder as a receiver and adds another dimension to the offense that Crowder never provided.

And yes, our pass-catchers are much better which to me means way more than evaluating the WR room on an island.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

This year the wideouts might be more talented but there's certainly less depth. Injuries are common, with this group we will be seeing practice squad receivers taking snaps at some point. Probably even as early as October

Keelan Cole & Jamison Crowder got base salaries for barely over $1 mil. It was stupid to let them walk for peanuts.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  12. BrowningNagle

Ok you've highlighted that they are very similar in production but you left out the contract details

Berrios $7 mill guaranteed
    Crowder $1.8 mill guaranteed

the decision doesn't look so good now does it? It will look worse even Crowder beats us up twice this season

13. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Hahaha still looks like a great decision to me. Berrios is much more valuable

14. BroadwayAaron

Boy does this lack massive context. Crowder signed for a year, Berrios signed for three. Crowder is 29 when the season starts, Berrios is 26. Crowder plays one position, Berrios is a pro bowl kick returner as well as a WR that matches Crowder’s production.

When you actually provide the pertinent information, the money means close to nothing.

15. BrowningNagle

If you are going to say Crowder is 29 when the season starts then Berrios is 27 when the season starts. Crowder is 2 years older. Berrios returns kicks but over 60 % of kickoffs go out the back of the end zone these days, IMO it doesn't justify $5 mill + more in salary, and even if it did, why not bring em both back so we dont have practice squad guys out there by mid-season

16. BroadwayAaron

Why would I say Berrios is 27 by the time the season starts? That's not true. And either way who cares... Crowder has way more miles on the body and he's been prone to injuries his entire career.

You're again talking about money but conveniently leaving out that one is being paid over one year while the other is being paid over three.

17. BroadwayAaron

Not that anyone is actually trying to make a Crowder/Berrios comparison based off many, but for the very very very few that are:

Berrios - $3.767 mil cap number in 2022 (1.8% of the cap)
    Crowder - $1.975 mil cap number in 2022 (.9% of the cap)

THE HORROR!!!!!!

18. BrowningNagle

what is your point? Berrios costs twice as much in 2022. Is he twice the player as Crowder? I dont think so at all

Also not sure why you would leave off the rest of his contract unless you are counting on Berrios retiring after the season. The Jets will still have to pay him for 2023

19. BroadwayAaron

Ah so you're just trolling. Nevermind.

20. BrowningNagle

I'm not fucking trolling. I just have a different opinion than you, Grow up