Was it Smart for the Jets to Draft Breece Hall?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, May 14, 2022.

1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets want to go run-heavy next season they had to draft somebody who could be a feature back in the rotation. That pushes Carter and Johnson to strong supporting roles and makes the ground attack real.

I think the mistake in the pick was trading up to make it, of course. The Jets could have gotten a good prospect in the 3rd or 4th even if Hall was taken in the two intervening picks.

I really hate Joe Douglas inability to sit still and take what the draft offers. Nobody is smart enough to cherry pick on a regular basis and come out ahead.

3. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Oh lord so this is what we’re complaining about today? He drafted a featured back who slots in to one of the many holes we had. And yes he moved up to do so, he likely had information to suggest he would have been drafted before their next pick. Can we at least wait for games before we start second guessing decisions (which by the way have been universally lauded by “draft-niks”)

Jojo, AndyDrums, papapump and 16 others like this.
  4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The Bills took Ed Oliver in round 1 in 2019, but signed a number of OL as well as Beasley and Brown to give Allen a supporting cast he could develop with. He also worked on improving his accuracy with Palmer.

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think the Hall pick was pretty good because he has a high ceiling and wasn't really over drafted. Though the trade up made it a little more risky. Carter isn't durable enough to be the full time guy and wasn't a long term solution. IMO we will find that the Wilson pick was a serious over draft.

#5 ouchy, May 14, 2022
    Last edited: May 14, 2022
    JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  6. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I disagree, going up for AVT last year & J Johnson, & Breese this year were all excellent moves. If you sit & Waite for the draft to come to you, then you will be settling for what left. If you like a guy...go get him. I think JD is very smart the way he plays the draft. A fifth draft pick for J Johnson, & a fifth for Breese is peanuts considering the players we got in return.

7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Max. How can I only listen the Audio? I love listening while walking and keeping youtube open all times will drain the battery. I will click on your youtube links and will like them but can you also add these to iTunes?

8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

ouchy. You say this because of his injury last year or you don’t like his play? I also am concerned about his durability but he is a hell of a player.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

And we’re referring to Elijah Moore here correct?

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I was pretty shocked when they took Hall so early. The system is known for turning nobodies into Pro Bowl players so I never expected to take a back earlier than the 3rd round.

However this could be a good thing too. Mike Shanahan got some solid players in trade for those early round backs he took in Denver. He got prime Champ Bailey and a 2nd rounder for Clinton Portis. I know it was forever ago, but teams that think they are close will do some stupid things for a player they think puts them over the top.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Breece traded in a couple of seasons if he is productive.

NoodleArm, Brook! and Br4d like this.
  12. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

I liked the pick a lot. Hall is a complete back that can play 3 downs, and was the top rated guy is his position by almost every scout. I like what I saw from Carter last year, but as someone already mentioned he's a bit on the small side, and his overall upside I don't believe is comparable to that of Hall. Having those two in the backfield will be a huge plus. As someone already mentioned, JD has inside sources better the anyone of us, and probably had info that Hall was gonna be taken before the Jets selection. I was hearing potential by the Texans so he made an aggressive move to get the player that he wanted. I can't possibly see how getting a top rated runningback to help or young developing QB is considered a bad thing. I didn't really expect it, but when it happen I loved the pick.

RochesterJet, Brook! and SOJAZ like this.
  13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

It was brilliant. I know the prevailing thought in the NFL is that it's the passing game that wins championships and to a certain extent that's true. When you fall behind late in a game, you have to be able to pass to catch up. You can't run your way to the lead if you've fallen behind by a couple of scores late in the game, it takes too much time off the clock. However, a good running attack is paramount to having a good passing attack. If your passing game is weak, a defense can concentrate on stopping the run and ideally put your team in 3rd and long situations which necessitates passing on 3rd down. Unfortunately, this has been the Jets bane over the last five years. A good running game has the advantage of putting your offense in 3rd and short situations where you have a choice as to what you can do on third, making it tougher to defend. With the drafting of Hall and the improvements made on the O line, which should include the return of Becton (remember he was pretty good at run blocking his rookie year) plus Carter, I feel the Jets now have enough weapons in the running game to consistently put the offense in 2nd and 3rd short yardage situations making Wilson's passing easier.

#13 westiedog1, May 14, 2022
    chandler, nycarl, ouchy and 3 others like this.
  14. MaximusD163

I have the feeling most of these responses are assuming I’m criticizing the decision without watching the video. I don’t expect everyone to watch it or anything but I made this video to offer a logic based response to the analytics community and their opinions on RB’s.

Just so people know, I not only support the pick but predicted it as well

KY Jets Fan, Brook! and ouchy like this.
  15. MaximusD163

I am going to make a new podcast feed for Max Dean is Football, the old one for Pan-Am Football isn’t working for some reason

Lon Chaney and Brook! like this.
  16. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

No, it wasn’t smart. Never draft a player that you think is worth the pick you are taking him at.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I made a mistake and wrote Moore but meant Garrett Wilson. IMO Moore will be the best WR on this team for many years.

#17 ouchy, May 14, 2022
  18. abyzmul

Which Wilson?

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Garret Wilson. I should have been more clear.

20. abyzmul

The more I watch of him the more amazing I think he's going to be.