Zach Wilson bulked up (Zach Wilson Looks Fat To Me)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFanDoc, May 13, 2022.

1. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I hope zach can rock this season. Id love to see that bulk allow him to runover some safeties if he has to make a run

JohnnyJet1222 likes this.
  2. Get me the Damn Ball

Get me the Damn Ball Well-Known Member

Wilson definitely bulked up. He looks like he’s 230lb now. Some of it definitely looks like water weight. I think by Training camp he’ll lean down to 220

3. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Idk that he looks bulkier, to me it looks like someone’s been hitting the Wendy’s late night menu too many times this off-season.

4. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I'm curious how you can tell, this would be a useful skill when you and friends are out trying to pick up girls at the bar. Your bro says, "Yeah, she looks good but a little overweight", You respond, "Don't worry bro, it's a lot of water weight".

b.reyes16, KY Jets Fan, cval and 6 others like this.
  5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The necessary cognition skills employed in that scenario are acutely enhanced under what is known in the scientific community as the “Seven Beer Rule.”

b.reyes16, MoWilkBeast, cval and 7 others like this.
  6. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

As others have touched on I personally don't care so much about the body change per se (although I doubt its a bad thing) but the more encouraging thing is it just gives me the impression that Zach is all business. Or as somebody put it if he fails it won't be for lack of effort. And as a fan thats about all you can ask.

If he really comes through and plays like a top 12 -15 NFL QB (I don't dare hope for better) the Jets will really be cooking and are likely in for an extended period of playoff contention at least. Maybe even get lucky and go deep once or twice. And I'll take that over the last 10 years for sure.

Seneca, Nyjets4eva, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  7. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

15 pound gain probably PERFECT

8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

well…I’m not sure I’d say that “people are rooting against him” … I would say that those people are just not confident that he’s the guy yet…doesn’t mean they don’t WANT him to be.

i think there are those who are 100% convinced that he will be great, and we hear a lot of reasons why his rookie year sucked…the most notable are the poor OL play and the scrubs at receiver for much of the year, along with the perceived poor coaching early in the year. All of those are legitimate claims I believe. However, he did not perform well in many stats…accuracy being a key one, yards per attempt being another (which would definitely be impacted by play on OL and at WR), too few TDs and too many picks, etc. the stats were pretty much the worst in the NFL and his QB rating reflected that. And for comparison, Davis Mills looked much better and no one can argue that he had a much better supporting cast. So those are the things we see.

the other talk track is that he did so much better after he came back from injury. However, the stats don’t show that at all. None of the key metrics improved…not yards per game, not completion rate, not yards per attempt…the only thing he did do much better on is cutting down on picks…which is a huge improvement no doubt…but it also came with reduced production…basically the plays or the calls we’re limited…so there were fewer picks.

The people saying he won’t make it have a year of actual production to point to…and the fact that there haven’t been too many QBs who started with a rating as low as his and made it to elite….I’d have to go back and look that up to confirm, though. They also can point to our previous QB…Darnold actually had a better rookie year than Zach did…different coach, different circumstances, agreed, but he looked quite a bit better as a rookie than Zach did, and we can all see how he’s turning out. So basically saying, yeah, we’ve seen this act before, we’ve heard excuses before, and we won’t be fooled again…

so maybe some folks are rooting against him, but I would instead categorize it as they are more of a “prove it”, or “wait and see” kind of mode.

I guess I shouldn’t speak for others but at least for me, I see potential in him with some traits that are key to success, like a quick release, like a strong arm, like underrated athleticism. But I see some concerns mostly in the relatively poor play last year…I get the excuses with the line and the drops etc, but I did go back and look at completion rate and added back drops to assume they were caught and it still came in under 60%…I think it improved from his 55% to like 58%….in 1970 that would have been a great number, but in todays NFL it doesn’t cut it.

and the eye test also matters…there were plenty of throws to open receivers, especially easy tosses to RBs in the flat, that hit the ground four feet in front of them, or sailed over their heads. These were open guys. So there are legitimate concerns…there were too many throws where I yelled at the TV saying Come On! You HAVE to be able to make that throw!

I hope he can improve and become our guy…for sure his surrounding cast has improved a lot…better OL, better TEs, better WR group…and a year of experience for the team and LeFleur also should make for a better QB. By all accounts, his work ethic and mental makeup are strong, so that’s great…but we need to see improvement on the field this year.

At least for me, I’m actually rooting FOR him, but I’m also not going to ignore the bad play and excuse it away either…I’m cautiously optimistic with him being able to improve, but I’m not blindly saying he absolutely will, either.

that’s not rooting against him…

#28 Jets79, May 14, 2022
    Last edited: May 14, 2022
    horsehead, Ralebird, Noam and 4 others like this.
  9. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

If his OL is as improved as we hope, Zach won't be taking a beating like last year. The extra muscle will be an advantage and also a shock absorber if ZW gets smashed again. With any luck at all, Zach makes it thru '22 without a stint on the IL.

#29 Cman68, May 14, 2022
    The Dark Knight likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Fair enough. For the record, I don't think you fall into the category of rooting for Zach to fail, but there are some here who do. Whatever. I've made y reasons for believing he'll succeed clear and won't re-post them here. We'll see what happens when he hits the field.

cval likes this.
  11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah…I get being skeptical…I don’t get rooting against one of our players…unless he’s a bad guy or awful teammate or criminal I guess, but Zach is none of those things. I also believe he has the tools to succeed…so I’m pulling for him…otherwise we have to go back to the well

12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Nobody is rooting against Zach. There are two main opinions that post here:

Those that think Zach was secretly good last season, which to them is evidence that he is going to be great going forward.

And those that think he was bad last season and they want to see him perform much better before anointing him.

However, if someone doesn't agree he was great last season, or aren't yet convinced he will certainly be great this season, a few members in the first camp start accusing them of wanting Zach to fail. IMO those posters are becoming divisive on the board in a non football way. Its a bad way to handle disagreement with their opinions.

#32 ouchy, May 14, 2022
    Ralebird, Dierking and HomeoftheJets like this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

This is a very reasonable take. It's up to Zach to show the skeptics he's the answer. He hasn't done it yet. If he's a middle of the pack QB this year, that would be significant progress from last season.

Noam, ouchy, Brook! and 1 other person like this.
  14. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You almost had me with this satirical take on the idiots who wanted to keep Darnold around.

Good one, Ouch!

cval and BroadwayAaron like this.
  15. Not Sure

Not Sure Active Member

Backtits.

16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Elijah Moore looks like he needs to hit the weight room.

17. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

It's coordination and speed of hip turn. I noticed the same thing in top tennis players. Their hip turn is amazingly fast. That's probably true for most sports.

18. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He's been working out.

#38 dmw, May 14, 2022
  19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

No one here who has ever made the claim that others are rooting for Wilson to fail has ever supported that claim with a quote or other evidence even when prompted, don't let it bother you. It's like those who call anyone who doesn't ride the unicorn "haters" because they think that's an effective way to delegitimize their opinion.

ouchy likes this.
  20. twown

twown Well-Known Member

The QB's you hate to face are the same QB's that just NEVER miss these throws. For the top guys, these throws are just as automatic as taking a knee.

And conversely, the QB's you want to face, the QB's you always believe you can beat, are those that will sometimes botch these screens and flares.

Every time I want to invest my heart in Zach, I admit this scares me.

But Darnold was even worse!

I know, I know...