Our receiving corps

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JETFUEL1580, May 13, 2022.

1. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

With the addition of Garrett Wilson who outside of injury could be a potential Pro Bowler for years to come, what do you guys think of our group? I really like Elijah Moore a lot. I think the kid can be really special and a perfect potential second receiver to Wilson. His performance against Indy and Miami last year was very impressive, and a small glimpse of what's to come. Shame he got injured late in the season. Braxton Berrios very much like Moore is small fast receiver that plays tough and is a tremendous return guy. Love his fire. Corey Davis was a signing I liked prior to last season and for his part he was very solid, and had some decent performances with our obvious shaky QB play. Shame he got injured as well, but he's a perfect complimentary big body veteran receiver to go along with shorter guys in Moore and Berrios.

Lastly, do I dare bring up Denzel Mims? lol I mean he's still on the roster and all. Obviously he's been a terrible disappointment of Vernon Gholston like levels, minus being top ten pick. His frame 6'3 207 and age 24 alone should make anyone excited, but is he made out of tissue paper? I mean what gives with this guy? The guy was clocked at 4.38 in the combine and I don't know about most but I'm still holding out hope that he can still turn it around. Reports are that he is in phenomenal shape for mini camp

https://thejetpress.com/posts/ny-jets-denzel-mims-phenomenal-shape

Realistically though, he might be done as a Jet which wouldn't be a terrible loss I suppose. Does anyone else think that this receiver corps has the potential to really light it up and surprise the AFC? We are pretty good and most importantly pretty freaking young and fast. Let me know your opinions. Oh and our TE's definitely seem legit, but that's a whole nother discussion.

WilsonJetsFan likes this.
  2. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I agree...Moore, Berrios & Wilson are young fast & elusive. Davis, a bigger receiver is solid, & Denzel in my book has 2 strikes against him, I am willing to give him a third chance. Health is the big question mark with our receivers, as well as the whole team..

#2 BudJet, May 13, 2022
    Last edited: May 13, 2022
    JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I know that the bar is extremely low but this is hands down our best receiver room since 2010 when we had Edwards, Holmes and Cotchery. More so than just the talent… These guys are a perfect fit for the modern NFL offense. When have we ever been able to say that?

Davis had a rough first year but he is a fantastic blocker and will only benefit from having guys like Moore, Berrios, Wilson, Hall and Carter on the field. And all those guys benefit from having Davis with our three TEs on the field.

I should know better than to get excited but I also haven’t been this excited in over a decade so maybe there is truly something here. Again it’s not just about the talent it’s about the way they fit into the NFL in 2022. We have a plan!

JetFanInPA, Nyjets4eva, Noam and 2 others like this.
  4. JETFUEL1580

Yes this is completely true. I forgot to mention how good of a blocker Davis is as well. I like the fact that you mentioned that these guys are perfect fit for the modern offense. We have traditional size/skill guys, and a combination of smaller/elusive guys that we can run certain plays for outside of just lining them up on the scrimmage. Edwards, Holmes, and Cotchery was a solid corps as well, forgot about them and yes the bar is low. Outside of that it might be Coles, Moss, Cherbet, or Key, Cherbet, and D Ward in the late 90's.

5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Nothing is going to happen with these receivers unless Wilson steps up and makes the throws he needs to make. You can't talk about receivers in isolation from the guy who's responsible for getting them the ball.

6. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I think 2015 was a better WR group than 2010 by a little bit.

Brandon Marshall, Erick Decker, Quincy Enunwa, Jeremy Kerley

vs

Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery, Brad Smith

This year’s is by far the best since 2015, but I don’t think it’s better, at least not yet.

PJ4Ever and Jets79 like this.
  7. JETFUEL1580

I don't know how I forgot about that group in 2015. Maybe because it was that season alone and we didn't make it to the playoffs, but excellent call. B Marshall was a fantastic pickup to go along with Decker who was a TD beast that year, and Kerley, Enunwa. Nice call.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

yup…I think they both went over 1000 yards if I recall correctly…and Quincy was a solid #3

JETFUEL1580 likes this.
  9. JETFUEL1580

Yes they did

10. twown

twown Well-Known Member

ngl, it does kinda sour the taste of your overall point.

11. JETFUEL1580

Well, he still is young and could turn it around. Injuries has been his undoing, and he might lack the desire to play through it. My question at this point is, is there any room for him to even play at this point?

12. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I haven't given up on Mims yet but this is his year to show progress or he's likely out. He had moments his rookie year but injuries combined with not learning the playbook hurt him last year. A weakness coming out of Baylor was his route running, or lack thereof, which is a reqt in this offense. I'm hoping he just needed time to learn the playbook and refine the routes and this is the year he can put it together. I'm not saying he needs to be a 1000 yd receiver this year or he's out, but he needs to show something to build on.

Nyjets4eva, NYJetsO12, Noam and 2 others like this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The receiving corp including those TEs will be a crowded and seemingly talented place

By game 2 or 3 of regular season I'll have an opinion thank you very much

14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Mims looked good in the 2 sec clip I saw of him. To early to be optimistic?

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Good post, Mims should not be given up on.

The new staff came in and made an example of him. It's not right. Every one of these young players has flaws but it was easier for them to lay the blame at him because he wasn't their guy than to hold certain other players at the same standard

themorey likes this.
  16. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

in the OTA thread, i guess?

cval likes this.
  17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Reading between the lines, you want to compare the amount of latitude a second year wide receiver drafted in the second round gets vs the amount of latitude a QB who was drafted #2 overall gets? A guy who was drafted to be your FQB? Come on.

I truly believe that if Mims put in the work and learned the routes he would have been given a chance. And when he was given a chance due to injuries, he was non-existent. I'm rooting for the guy because I believe he has talent but I don't think he got fucked over.

KingRoach and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I seem to remember too many games where Mims had more penalties than catches

Not a good look

Losmeister likes this.
  19. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

If they didn’t make an example out of him he prob wouldn’t of wanted to train harder and work harder this off-season ijs

20. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

No way it’s better than Marshall -Decker -Enunwa yet