WHY Michael Carter will still be a factor in the Jets Offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, May 12, 2022.

1. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

You don't have to do much digging to see how HC Matt LaFleur has handled the RB room in Green Bay to see how the Jets and Mike LaFleur plan to utilize Michael Carter in the Jets offense in 2022.

In 2021, Aaron Jones touched the football 223 times and AJ Dillon touched it 221 times. It was a near perfect 50/50 split in GB last year.

Do you expect something similar with the Jets Hall and Carter?

azhar80 likes this.
  2. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

I think they are both very good.

I am expecting that in a given game the "hot hand" will get most of the carries.

In the end, I think Hall will prove to be a bit better than Michael and probably end up with 60 to 65% of the carries.

I am an Oklahoma college fan, so I did get to see Hall destroy the Sooners a couple of times, I really like what this kid brings to the table.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Wonderful challenge to have. Two excellent RBs. Keep them fresh

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It will likely take a few games - half a season? - to figure things out with all the new pieces, but this promises to be a very well balanced offense, something even many SB contenders don't have, instead relying on a great QB or a great running game to get there. If it all comes together, even if Wilson isn't a HOF QB, the Jets should have a very high powered offense for many years.

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The only thing wrong with committee RB's is you usually try and stay away from them in FF lol in reality though it should help to keep them both fresher for longer and stop one of them burning out after 3 years as can happen, you can even see it happening with the two big RB's in CM and DH ran into the ground for over 300 attempts two seasons on the trot for DH and CM 200+ and then 100+ catches.

Their bodies just can't take it CM had 3 seasons and then 2 injured, DH a little longer it has to be said but still, he must be getting close to breaking with the way he runs through people.

6. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It will be interesting to see how much pro-set we run this season.

Probably depends more on if the O-line can handle a zone scheme

7. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

this offense believes in fresh RBs. they like to have 2 or 3 and rotate them. wouldn't surprise me if it's completely series based as in hall and MC alternate each series. thats what SF did when saleh and MLF were there

Acad23 likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

I've never understood that concept. Bringing in different RBs whose skills are different pretty much telegraphs what play or plays they offense will be running. I think keeping them both in the game at the same time presents more uncertainty for the defense.

Footballgod214 and Ralebird like this.
  9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Hmmm...
    So much for the RB's gettin' their groove going.

I like LeFleur's play calling overall... but I'd like to see some run heavy scheme to take some pressure off Zach... as long as our defense can keep it close...:confused:

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

When you have two RBs that are a threat from the backfield or split out, RBBC is a beautiful thing.

Noam, Nyjets4eva and JETFUEL1580 like this.
  11. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I wouldn't mind at least for this upcoming season for both our young RBs Carter, Hall to split carries. Both have tremendous skill sets and why not capitalize on both. Split it right down the middle outside of injuries. Great problem to have.

12. GasedAndConfused

because it removes someone else and wears down the RBs more. they are fresher if they only take half the snaps. we have 4 good WRs and 2 good TEs at minimum. we have enough talent they all can't be on the field at once so no reason to use both best RBs at the same time. it doesn't do anything good really

13. GasedAndConfused

you need a balanced offense. the only run heavy offense that kinda works in the NFL is the titans and thats because henry is on a different level

14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I expect both backs to be utilized heavily rather than having a clear cut leader and follower, but not at all because that's what LaFleur's big brother does in Green Bay or the stats related to that specific situation. A decent coach utilizes the talent he has to maximize their benefit to the team and if you have two guys who can crank up the yards you take advantage of that situation and keep the defense guessing. If Hall is actually the runner (and receiver) he has been hyped to be, I'd like to see both of them on the field at the same time more often than we've seen two backs in a long time. It's not an always or never proposition.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The days of having a workhorse RB are pretty much over.

16. ColoradoContrails

Well I understand your point, but both backs should be ready to go for a whole game. The approach you suggest reminds me of how baseball has "weakened" starting pitchers to the point where they're only expected to pitch 5-6 innings, a FAR cry from the days when starters were counted upon to throw complete games. Hell, go back far enough and S.P. threw double headers! And the change had nothing to do with modern baseball player's stamina or strength, it was financial: reduce the role and reliance upon S.P. and you could pay them less,,,a secondary reason was that a "pitching staff by committee" is easier (and cheaper) to put together than finding 3-4 20 game winners.

Of course the NFL is gonna do what they're gonna do, but putting certain backs in on certain downs just seems to eliminate a level of guessing the defense has to deal with, and both Carter and Hall should be considered #1 type backs and be able to handle the load.

17. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I shouldn't have used the phrase "run heavy"... maybe I should have said "run focused".
    A little extra emphasis on run plays to take some weight off Zach.
    We gave up a shit load of sacks last year.

I think we have the speed...

18. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Load Becton, Tomlinson, and Uzomah up on the left side of the line, and line up Moore and G. Wilson on the right. Hall/Carter will be able to run all day. The moment the defense starts providing help on the left, run a play action and count on either Moore or G. Wilson to win their one-on-one, and then the defense has to go back to being honest.

Having multiple weapons really forces defenses to play honest, which creates a lot of opportunities for the run game.

19. GasedAndConfused

we do for sure, but we also have a good o-line and good WR set so zachs gotta make it happen

Acad23 likes this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I like Carter, I felt like they should've thrown him the ball more, but Breece Hall is a 3 down running back. Carter's usage will have to decrease