Welcome to the Jets Micheal Clemons

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Snatch Catch, Apr 30, 2022.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

preseason rarely bumps anyone's value because it's vanilla defenses against lower competition.

2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I have always thought the last contract to JFM was a huge overpay. Sure, he is a valuable member of the DL, but he's not worth the contact he got. It happens in all sports--when a team has a bad record and a roster void of talent, they sometimes overpay average/above average players to keep them from leaving. Probably doesn't matter, but if Douglas had a do-over, I doubt he fork out that much for JFM.

REVISion likes this.
  3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah this is a general theme with the Jets - we've had generally bad players for so long that we tend to overrate players when they're even just decent. Happens with a lot of our draft picks especially. Gotta hold ourselves to higher standards.

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I didn't ask about Mahomes or Rodgers; their work represents them on their teams. I asked about Zach Wilson; his work represents him on the New York Jets. Let's see if he can raise his completion percentage to an acceptable level; let's see if he can throw more touchdown passes than interceptions.

#64 Ralebird, May 3, 2022
    Last edited: May 3, 2022
  5. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I answered your question using a baseline comparison. It’s a very common way to answer a question. I am very very surprised you’re not familiar with basic conversational English.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Too bad your baseline comparison bears no relevance but acts only as a diversion from the topic at hand.

7. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Is this Ouchy? Did you break into Ralebird’s account? I’m not used to such brain dead comments from you.

the topic at hand is Welcome to the Jets Micheal Clemons…. Thought I’d say something brain dead too. Meh, not a fan

8. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Agreed. If you recall, in the first few games of the season defense looked really good. JFM looked decent the year before too, and had a few good games, looking ready to break out. JD simply jumped the gun a bit, pulled the trigger too soon (I believe these are appropriate metaphors in Clemons thread). Maybe he felt JFM will continue this trend, and he will need 15+ to sign him. So, yes, he overpaid, but not by too much. Essentially he signed JFM to 1 year 14 mil deal with 3 other years team option. JD can cut him next year only with 1 mil dead cap hit.

If JFM doesn't break out this year, he will have to renegotiate as simple as that. We are not locked into a long term commitment here, just 1 year. JD is still JD: even he overpaid a bit, he put himself in position to correct this mistake in just a year's time.

9. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Hopefully JFM plays more inside now that we have some more edge talent.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  10. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

i think he has to play some inside especially if we don’t sign anymore fat guys

11. GasedAndConfused

13.75 average is far form an overpay IMO. he would have gotten more on the open market. we gave lawson 15 mil a year. gregory is 29 and off field issues and just got 14 mil. reddick and hendrickson are at 15mil a year each. JFM is pretty fairly paid.

he also has an out after this season so if we choose to move on form him then it was basically a 1 year 14 mil contract

wewantsapp and Noam like this.
  12. REVISion

I feel like all of those guys other than Gregory imply that JFM was indeed a bit of an overpay. Reddick and Hendrickson have both had two double-digit sack seasons in a row. JFM has finished with 2, 3, and 6 sacks in his 3 seasons. We're paying about the same as Reddick/Hendrickson for less than half the production. Lawson hasn't been a huge sack guy but he's consistently been a very high pressure guy.

tomdeb likes this.
  13. GasedAndConfused

sacks don't always tell the whole story though. like hendrickson for example. was on a stacked saints D opposite cam jordan and their D is an aggressive man D. most bengals fans were unhappy they didn't keep lawson and instead paid hendrickson the same deal. JFM has had to play De and DT and hasn't had anyone else to take much pressure off of him and he's had to be "the man" at edge in a zone heavy defense

14. REVISion

Regardless of the reasoning, if you're paying a guy the same amount as someone who gets 12 sacks per year while he gets 6 then it's an overpay. Whether that's because of talent or scheme, one thing is much more consequential than the other.

Guys who play on the edge and can pressure the QB from that spot are more impactful than guys who play on the interior who aren't named Aaron Donald.

tomdeb likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

people rely too much on stats. it's also why you see overpays for people put in good situations that boost stats. if a QB throws for 4k yards but has a stacked WR group and great o-line and it's all yac it isn't the same as a QB throwing for 3k yards with no o-line and no WRs who's making great throws. guys like goff and trubisky have made pro bowls based on stats and by all measurements they are not even good Qbs let alone pro bowl (top 3 in conference) level QBs.

Noam likes this.
  16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Douglas had a great draft in 2021 and 2022. He also has made some great trades, and signed some decent free agents. He is about 100 times better than MacCagnan. But you don't have to claim that EVERY move he makes is perfect. Douglas had a bad draft in 2020, he overpaid JFM (which is not a huge deal, but it is an overpay), he should never have started 2021 with a rookie free agent kicker (and then replaced him with another one), and he is still ignoring the LB position-- but those about the only slipups he has made. He has done and is doing a great job, but it is fair to talk about ALL of his moves objectively. I hope he stays with the jets another 20 years.

Nyjets4eva and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

I don't think every move he's made is perfect. we all know the 2020 draft was bad. he's made some bad FA signings too. I don't think JFM is an overpay though. he would have gotten that if not more on the open market. he was a waiver pickup who earned his money on a cheap deal and it's really only a 1 year deal with team options for the next 2. with the uncertainty we had at edge it was a good move. you can argue we overpaid berrios as well but you have to realize they aren't long term guarenteed, it sends a good message to players, and they are both versatile players. JFM likely plays a lot of DT for us this year on rush downs. plus it's security. there was no guarantee we landed JJ. or that we were drafting clemons. thats why JD brought back curry and signed martin as well. but any of them can be released. they will have to earn their jobs and it's a stiff competition at edge right now

coloradojet and tomdeb like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's probably an overpay yeah, but its really just such an example of the GM and HC operating in different siloes.

Franklin-Myers has a big couple weeks, humble kid from a small school, and signed off waivers, he gets paid. He's expecting to be out there earning that money as is the GM. But Saleh & Ulbrich have him standing on the sideline to keep him "fresh." Completely stupid, he's 25 years old, he's not tired, he wants to fucking play.

So yeah, its an overpay if the dumbass coaching staff keep him on the sideline 50% of the time

19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

20. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member