Welcome to the Jets Garrett Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JohnnyP123456, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It writes itself...

Noam and bicketybam like this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

So you are off the Jimmy G train?

3. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I read a scouting report that said he's an excellent route runner.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

No, it's the opposite. Listen to JD's presser Thursday night. He specifically mentioned once they were on the clock and Garrett was there, they were not fielding any calls. Also, even before that he never offered 10 straight up. 10+5th for Deebo+2nd was the offer before we were on the clock, and once GW was there, they were taking him straight up. So, it actually means the opposite: JD liked GW on rookie deal more than Deebo at 25 mil per.

6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting. I love his dad and everything he said. The only negative that stuck out to me is when his dad said Garrett needs a truth teller I agreed because someone should have told Garrett never to wear that suit. I know it has become a Ohio St. tradition to be the worst dressed player at the draft (see Zeke and Darron Lee) but come on that outfit was hideous. Other than that he seems like a great kid. His dad's warm, thoughtful and kind words really makes me like this kid.

#106 Noam, May 2, 2022
    Last edited: May 2, 2022
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Before Jameson tore his ACL I wanted him pretty badly. After the tear, GW was the guy I wanted JD to draft. Then Jets went after Hill because of his speed, and at the same time reports surface Jameson was running and perhaps was going to be ready for camp, and I figured, maybe we get him, he misses a few games, but we basically get young Hill on rookie deal. We may take a chance on reoccurrence. So, Jameson I thought was in play. However, I came across these studies: "Young Athletes Who Return to Sport Before 9 Months After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Have a Rate of New Injury 7 Times That of Those Who Delay Return"

Just looking at the basic timeline, had a surgery end January. 9 months puts him at end of October. And this is without going hard in practices, etc. He probably doesn't return until at best some time in November, and will be playing very little initially. We are probably at best looking at some time in Dec when he is in shape playing starting minutes. Basically 13 games or so into the season. Could be even more. Also, there is matter of 25% chance of reoccurrence stat that is still out there when he gets healthy.

This season needs to be about Zach Wilson's development. We did not get a veteran and decided to go draft route for top WR. Garrett just had to be the choice here, and I understand why (according to Cimini) he was #1, London #2, and then big drop-off after. Jameson wasn't in the cards, because he simply won't be full strength until very end of the season. And even then GW may still turn out better. Good call by JD.

Also, for Detroit I actually think it made a lot of sense to go Williams. They don't have rookie QB to develop, and will likely be getting rid of the one they have in a year. To be frank they wouldn't mind getting top pick next year for Jameson's QB teammate :). Jameson will not help them win much this year, but will be fully ready to go next year, and even getting a few NFL games under his belt this season. Win/Win for them, and we made the right choice as well.

#107 Borat, May 2, 2022
    Last edited: May 2, 2022
    Noam likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

he’s better than teblow

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

no I just want a halfway decent QB for once. I don’t care what his name is

10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I know what he offered. it was extremely similar to what I said was a fair offer (you can go back and heck my posts too so you know i'm not making it up) I said 10 for deebo + 61 was a fair offer. JD threw in an extra 5th which is a small value and still fair IMO.

I read a report that JD made that offer to them while on the clock and they wanted more so he took wilson. Mind you JD could be flipping it now so wilson doesn't feel slighted so who knows. The report I read also could have been inaccurate.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

How about a guy named Z. Wilson? I hear he's halfway decent - according to professional evaluators anyway.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  12. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I think you missed the point ace....

ColoradoContrails and bicketybam like this.
  13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Some professional evaluators...

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I wanted Jameson until I realized he sounds a lot like Pacman Jones when he speaks. Holy fucking thug. That Urban Meyer recruiting method never really changed, did it?

REVISion and Acad23 like this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

I mean I liked him but didn't want to take a WR who's best asset is speed coming off an acl injury top 10. he was my WR3 though based on film only behind wilson at 1 and olave at 2. I felt olave was underrated, the saints must have agreed because they gave up a lot to get him and move up for him

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I feel the same but something tells me this dude will come back from it and light some stuff on fire. It's too bad he'll have to do it in Detroit.

17. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Tear jerker. Absolutely awesome guidance from a great father to a great son. We got the right person. The best and most humble.

18. GasedAndConfused

he very well could but I doubt it happens with goff at QB lol