Welcome to the Jets Jermaine Johnson and your leather pants

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by blackssmagic, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Connor Hughes in his Saturday and Monday podcasts talked about why JJ dropped. Hughes talked with another team and asked them why they passed on JJ. They liked him as a person but said two reasons. One level of competition in the ACC was poor and second was his sacks to pressure rate was out of line. While he got sacks he did not get many pressures and hurries and they said in his Saturday podcast that pressures and hurries are valued greater than sacks as they are more repeatable.

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Woody is awful but hell CJ is such a bore, he is like an energy vampire.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

CJ doesn't deserve to be compared to Colin Robinson.

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Hi this is Chris Johnson here and by this point I was asleep ;)

Though I am shocked you seem to know Colin Robinson lol

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I honestly think Jermaine Johnson will be the fan favorite of the 2022 Draft. The Jets have lacked pass rushing for so long, it will be amazing whenever he gets to the QB. The Jets have barely had 1 good pass rusher the last 15 years, so to have a potential tandem of Lawson and Johnson is really exciting. Then you factor in the offenses have to account for Lawson and Johnson, which will free up John Franklin-Myers and Quinnen Williams. That front is going to be scary. Especially on 3rd downs. DJ Reed and Sauce making the QB hold the ball one extra second will help them too. Call me Bart Scott, because I CAN'T WAIT.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

That’s one of my favorite shows currently on TV. Brilliance.

K'OB likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Taika Waititi is awesome.

8. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Pretty fun 14 play film breakdown of JJ. It got me excited.

I have seen 3 criticisms of JJ. His low pass rush win percentage, his low number of pressures and hurries and that he only had one year of production. The video addresses the first two points by talking about how he was used in the FSU defense. The video makes me quite excited about JJ.

Borat likes this.
  9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Very thorough film study. It does help explain why JJ's pass rush win rate is lower, while sacks number and tackles for loss is very high. Basically a lot of times they ask to contain as opposed to win on the pass rush, when they think there is a chance of a run. Chris Simms made a similar point about Walker. Basically, what he is saying is that the real win rate is a lot higher than analytics indicate for JJ because of it. It does help explain inconsistencies like why sacks were high even though win rate lower, or why he came in to practices at Sr Bowl and destroyed competition. Also explains why he was #8 on JD's board and Saleh really wanted him. Really hope the author is right about JJ!

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

A few things on it "turning a lot of people off". First is that he met for maybe a few hours with these people but spent a week with Saleh and the rest of the coaching staff. A week obviously gives a much better idea of someones demeanor rather than just a few hours.

Also the guy was team captain and was still busting his ass out there when FSU was pretty much done for the year.

I don't remember reading anything pre-draft about his attitude or anything like that. I did read it about KT though. Guess as always, time will tell.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I like both prospects but Thibodeaux had everything handed to him since high school, colleges kissing his ass, begging him to come there. He coulda went anywhere he wanted and was in the "showtime L.A." spotlight since the 8th grade

Johnson is from suburban Minneapolis, had to play at a bumfuck community college in nowhere-ville Kansas. Then he was humbled at Georgia and rebuilt himself yet again at Florida State.

There is somethin to be said about taking the guy with the harder road