Hey Big Ticket? Got a message for ya from Da Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, May 1, 2022.

1. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

1. She didn't give birth.
    2. Waiting to have a child is not that scary of a time.
    3. The fact that airplanes exist means you don't have to choose between going to work and being there for mom when it happens. You can do it all.

blackssmagic likes this.
  2. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

What? Airplanes are fast, but there's no telling how quickly a baby will come when labor starts. As a father of a ultra-premie, I wouldn't travel once the 3rd trimester hit. If everything with the pregnancy was perfect, maybe you travel up until about week 34-36. You don't travel in the final month if you don't have to.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I hope your assessment is correct because until he proves otherwise, Becton cannot be counted upon.

blackssmagic likes this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Going by this forum you would think Becton sucked his rookie year. I honestly don't get it. It's seems almost personal for some.

By far the best thing for the New York Jets is for him to come back and continue the progression from his rookie year. The signs were pointing to a franchise LT.

No one knows what the deal was with his knee. What we do know is that the injury didn't occur because he was out of shape or too heavy. That's a fact. I believe it was his trainer that said it was never a 4-6 week injury. Really only the doctors would know. Every person is different when it comes to recovery. And I honestly didn't see the point of rushing him back last year. If anything it let us know Fant can play LT and that's good because he was terrible on the other side.

It's seems like it's a TGG thing to rag on this guy....a guy we should all be pulling for. I'm not saying there shouldn't be concern. There absolutely should be. And some express that concern in a mature way. However the fat jokes and the name calling are beyond old. My father, rest his soul, battled weight issues his entire life. He was an amazing man that accomplished so much in his life but controlling his weight was something he just could never get a grip on. It was like a disease.

Anyway, enough of my rant. I wish Mechi all the best and I really believe he will come back as good as he was his rookie year (and better.) I also believe he will always struggle with his weight. He's probably been called fat his entire life. But I'm really hoping for the best and I'd really like to see the people here lay off the name calling and character assassinations. It's a bad look.

5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I’m not concerned at all with Becton missing the voluntary part of this offseason so far.

Let’s revisit this here in a few weeks when OTAs and Mandatory Minicamp start. Until then it’s much ado about nothing IMO.

ouchy likes this.
  6. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

My first born was very premature. I was away on work until the moment my wife headed to the hospital. I jumped on a plane, made it back, no problem. It's really not that big of a deal. Been there, done that.

cval likes this.
  7. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

1 - Babies come when they want to - weeks early, weeks late.
    2 - Have a baby before you spout an opinion on that. In fact, have a baby without your partner around.
    3 - Airplanes take hours. When labour starts, there usually aren't hours to spare.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Here's a thought. Why not move GF to Jersey and she has the baby here?

cval and SOJAZ like this.
  9. Cman68

2hrs Newark to DAL/FW

10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Is that just time in the air or does that include travel to the airport and travel from the airport? And how about waiting for the next flight?

And even two hours would have led to me missing the birth of both my boys.

It’s voluntary OTAs for gods sake. He isn’t missing a playoff game.

Ralebird, KingRoach and KY Jets Fan like this.
  11. Cman68

Flight time. Gate to Gate..

12. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

maybe he was fat all his life but who would dare call him that?

13. ColoradoContrails

Here's the thing: if Becton had shown up last year in shape and ready to play, had not taken as long as he has already (and counting), and didn't allow his weight to balloon over 400 pounds, him missing the voluntary workouts because of the impending birth of his child would be no big deal. But all those things did happen, on top of which Douglas and Saleh - who said they've been keeping close tabs on his "progress" - made a point of calling him out in more words or less.

My POV on Becton is not personal in any way. I was happy when JD drafted him and would love to have him become the cornerstone LT/RT for this team for years, but objectively looking at his history so far that seems highly unlikely. It sucks to think JD might've wasted a top 10 pick on him but if he doesn't put the effort in, no one can do it for him. The NFL scrap heap is littered with guys who had massive potential and never fully realized it for one reason or the other. Becton needs to realize that "Big Ticket" =/= "Free Ride".

mrmajix likes this.
  14. bleedgreen

Didn't the coaches say they were satisfied with his progress? I think if they felt he was not going to cut it they would have drafted someone.

15. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Nobody is calling him fat just for the sake of it or to make fun of him, he's being called fat because his weight is directly impacting his ability to help the team.

ukjetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

You need to take a lesson in "coachspeak". If they were truly satisfied with his progress Saleh wouldn't have looked directly at the camera in that presser and said "We'd love to see you here!", and would've been saying things more along the lines of "Mekhi is doing great in his rehab and we fully expect him here for OTAs" instead of vague "hopes" with no timetable. Also, if they still believed Becton was the answer at one of the T spots they wouldn't have taken Max in the 4th round.

I think they did a hard calculation and decided against drafting Ekonwu at #4 because of hope more than assurance, and because if they had done that it might've sent Becton into a funk completely, and it would certainly have sent a message to the league that we don't value him very highly and would make trading him much harder at this point. Perhaps if Sauce wasn't there they might've still drafted Ekonwu but we'll never know.

I think their plan is to keep their fingers crossed and see what happens. They're giving Becton every opportunity to succeed, so if he doesn't it's completely on him.

REVISion likes this.
  17. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I am going to respectfully disagree with you on this point. The GM is paid to do what is best for the team. If he thought the best thing was to draft Ekonwu he would have. No way is Douglas pinning his future on "hope." There has to be a belief that Becton will come back and play as well as and better than he did his rookie year. The guy they took in the 4th round was for depth.

Ralebird likes this.
  18. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

This team now has an excitment about it, we've not had in years.

We have players who are wanting to get this thing rolling and making the Jets a team to be at and enjoy being here.

Becton is one of the premier positions in the team and one of the biggest question marks, with obvious talent.

I think this all comes down to, does he want it? Does he want to be a 10 year player? This off-season/season is going to show us at last who Becton is.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. bleedgreen

Why do people feel becton won't come back in somewhat good shape and ready to play? I have not seen a single piece of evidence to suggest otherwise. his twitter stuff looks good. cause he wants to be present for baby? If that is really true, than there are a number of Stupid people posting above, and I mean exactly that, suggesting some bit of early workout is more important than being at the birth. He has all the tools to be very good and his first year showed his potential. It is up to him to work on that potential. Entirely up to him. We will see fairly soon how committed he is, but why a presumption he is not?

20. ColoradoContrails

The answer to your question has been presented numerous times over the past year. I suggest you do some reading before you conclude that some people who have doubts about him not only returning, but being able to be counted on for a full season, are "stupid".

REVISion likes this.