The jets will win at least 10 games this year and contend for the playoffs.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bleedgreen, Apr 30, 2022.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

7-9 would probably mean winning at least one game in our division.

Bills, Patriots, and Dolphins all look tough.

2. cval

cval Well-Known Member

For anyone thinking the Dolphins will be better than last season has not been paying attention on how this offense progresses. Year 1 is always a struggle in this offense.

The Patriots are more vulnerable than they have been in years and had a horrible draft.

The Bills are loaded though. Superbowl or bust for them we will see how they do with a new OC.

3. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

My casual fan observation would be that one way to help get our new and improved juggernaut off to a good start would be to make sure our offensive line A) plays and B) plays TOGETHER in the preseason so they can all get on the same page (and hopefully some chemistry).

They have gotten off to catastrophic starts the last few years as they are for various reasons nursed, coddled, and shielded during the preseason and then all of a sudden the bright lights snap on and they aren't up to speed. We made the mistake and failed in 2019, then we repeated the mistake and failed in 2020, then sure enough same thing last year and the first game was an absolute disaster start for the OL last season. I know this is tough to figure out but maybe we ought to consider changing the plan this time?

What am I saying.... probably not.

4. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I am not a fan of Jones or Tua. If Wilson can take the next step this year then he probably becomes the 2nd best QB in the division. On the paper the Jets have improved but as we all know improving on paper means nothing if it doesn't show on the field. If things go well I could see the Jets winning 8-9 games. Worst case they should still win 6 at minimum. They are a young team and will take their lumps but at the same time they should win some games in exciting fashion that show the fanbase better days are ahead. If things go well including next offseason then 2023 is when they should be a playoff contender and maybe even challenge the Bills for the division.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Keep the bar low and you're less likely to hit your head on it....

6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Don't forget that rookies, as talented as they are, still have to adjust to the NFL and gel with the team. Also, the Jets have a large number of new players if you include free agents, so the adjustment this season will be significant. Not as big as last season, but it should be significant.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Before the draft, I don't think anyone was predicting 10 wins and competing for the playoffs this year. At best, people were hoping for 8 wins, would be begrudgingly satisfied with 6, and planning on 2023 being our year to push for a playoff berth.

We draft a few rookies, and suddenly people are going over the top.

Rookies will not win us any extra games this year. Parcells used to say that you lose an game for every rookie you start. I don't know if that's right, but starting rookies certainly won't win us any extra games. We hope the top few will make some plays, and that their positive contributions will outweigh the price of their mistakes. But it would be irrational to think that drafting a few good rookies transforms us from a 6-8 win team to a 10-win playoff-ready team this year.

The AFC is really good, and our schedule is full of opponents with players who get paid to play football. I don't think it's realistic to think that our roster is currently better than half of our opponents. Maybe with another year to mature.

MDJets and HomeoftheJets like this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I’ve seen this a few times in this thread now and just want to point out that I think this is an antiquated way of thinking. Sure, back in Parcells’ day this was probably more accurate but if you look at the league now you see plenty of guys that come in and make a huge contribution out of the gate. Ja’Marr Chase, Micah Parsons, Rashawn Slater, Kyle Pitts, Jaylen Waddle, Pat Surtain II all made big contributions last year to their respective teams. The year before we had Burrow, Chase Young, Herbert, Jedrick Wills, Tristan Wirfs, Jerry Jeudy, Ceedee Lamb, and AJ Terrell.

Just to clarify, I’m not sure if any of our guys WILL have this type of immediate impact this year but it’s certainly possible that one or even a couple could given how highly they got drafted and they amount of PT they’re projected to get.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

I agree. I felt this was a big issue the last couple of years. but the preseason has been shortened considerably. Maybe they break the pattern of resting everyone the last game. personally i would rather risk the injury and get prepared. there are 17 games and an injury could happen in any one, so trying to protect from any may be a lost cause.

10. WilsonJetsFan

I hope so. But realistically, they will make rookie mistakes. Every rookie does. And those mistakes will cost us.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  11. bleedgreen

I don't expect a lot of rookie contribution the first 5 games or so, except for hall. Wilson playing time will be limited at first, I think they will work JJ in slowly and gardner maybe a bit more. All the other rookies are not starting in any case. everyone focuses on rookies and discounts the huge influx of experienced talent. you recognize that but they have all of camp and preseason to get their act together. I hope they play the starters an awful lot in that period.

dmw likes this.
  12. bleedgreen

So lets just forget Becton, lawson, Tomlinson, reed, Whitehead, 2 tight ends and others cause they don't exist?

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I want to start off by saying it is early to think we will win 10 games. This crop of rookies will actually be asked to do less than last season's crop meaning they will be put in less critical situations if they are not quite ready. JJ you can put in him on passing situations to maximize his potential or minimize his mistakes. Sauce you have Pool, Reed and Echols if he starts to struggle coving receiver 1. Wilson, we have Berrios, Moore and Davis to take reps and have Wilson run routes he is comparable with. Hall and Carter will be dynamic.

We are in a good situation where we can maximize their talents without having to rely on them like we dad last season. We started Echols, Carter, Wilson, Moore and a couple other converted SS at LB. This year the rookies will be asked to do less which should lead to contributing more.

14. bleedgreen

Yup. Of course it is early to predict wins. I made the prediction contingent on 2 big ifs. If ZW improves considerably and IF we avoid catastrophic injuries. So lets assume both those happen. How many wins can they get?

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  15. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

13 wins in the past 3 seasons and we're making the leap to 10 this year based on the draft?
    OK, puff puff pass.

16. bleedgreen

Uh, no. Not just based on the draft. maybe you posted before reading some recent posts.

17. WilsonJetsFan

My point was that, before the draft, people were projecting 6-8 wins. They did so fully aware that we were going to have Becton, Lawson, Tomlinson, etc. The only thing that has changed is the draft, and now suddenly we have a thread about 10 wins and a playoff run. That doesn't make sense.

cval likes this.
  18. bleedgreen

I certainly appreciate all the comments about my predictions but many are overlooking what i said and focusing on the rookies. I said IF ZW makes the leap, if we don't have injuries, if the off season guys and injury returns perform as expected, if the players and coaches learned stuff from last year and apply it, and so on. Now IF all those happen, yes a big if, why can't we win 10 games? Please give me cogent reasons assuming the contingencies happen.
    We should have won Tampa and Atlanta. We should have won 6. You all think 10 is a huge leap forward given the potential?

19. horsehead

horsehead Well-Known Member

OK, fair.
    But as someone who has watched this team since the 70s, I just can't get optimistic..
    I'll say we go 6-11...and I'll be happy for the future.
    They SHOULD win 6 games.
    There will be 7 games we will give away. The Jet fan knows this.
    And 4 games where we get our asses kicked in every facet of the game and people will swear they're done with this team. Yet here we are.

I want to be positive. They've just beaten it out of me. Wasn't a fan of the Zach pick at all. I want to be wrong.
    And don't tell me to stop rooting for them...I can't. I'm an abused child.

ouchy, KY Jets Fan and James Hasty like this.
  20. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Teams far ahead of us also picked players in the draft and got even better than they were last week.

Having a slightly better draft and filling a couple holes can only move the needle so much.

We still need all of the players that got injured last year to stay healthy and for guys like Becton and Mims to show up if we even want to win 8 games.

ouchy likes this.