What team had the best draft...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, May 1, 2022.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Best Draft since I have been a Jets fan...since 1965.

If this draft doesn't silence the JD critics nothing will. I know we need WINS, but JD has done an excellent job of rebuilding this team & setting us up for success. We're young & talented. Now it's up to Saleh & the CS to turn us into winners. We have all the makings of a team that should be contenders for a long time. We're one of the youngest teams in the NFL. I think we'll need 11 wins to be a wild card team. Maybe not this year, but we're heading in the rite direction. There are so many good teams in the AFC. .In JD. ..& his staff I trust. You ACED this draft!!

#1 BudJet, May 1, 2022
    Last edited: May 1, 2022
  2. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

How do you know this is the best draft? The only thing you can base that off is need, let's see in a few years if this was a organizational changing draft.

It's no wonder this fan base turns so miserable during the season, the outrageous expectations in the off-season.

It's put up or shut up, wins solves all doubt.

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Shut the site down until September then.

The whole purpose of professional sports is to elicit excitement in the fans of the team, if you can't get excited then there really is absolutely no point in following/supporting/rooting for any team in sport.

Pragmatism is for real-life problems.

Imagine needing to wait three years to see if this draft was good or not before you can smile about it.

I'd imagine though, that if JD had selected a whole bunch of risky players all the doom-mongers would have been straight on saying this was the worst draft ever and not let's wait three years before declaring this the biggest bust draft in the entire universe.

Just saying. :rolleyes:

JetFanInPA, JetFanInNE, Noam and 9 others like this.
  4. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I understand that pessimistic outlook.

I too am a Jet fan.

However.

Based on expectation, information, and projection.

JD drafted like a man with a plan and deserves all the credit for putting us In that position In the first place.

Getting the haul he did for Jamal Adams, that's the type of stuff that only legit GMs find a way to accomplish.

Obviously we need to make sure these kids perform and uplift this team moving forward. I get it.

..but you can only do so much In that regard, nobody Is perfect and results are definitely important.

Without a doubt.

..but If you can see the plan, look at all the choices and moves. It's spot on for what you would hope for from a high tier GM.

That should account for something too I think.

JetFanInPA, Noam, REVISion and 7 others like this.
  5. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

6. K'OB

Grading teams' drafts immediately after the event is necessary in order to provide the proper evaluation of their actions in the moment. Waiting three years to evaluate draft classes, without accounting for how the decision was viewed at the time, usually leads to revisionist history.

If a prospect is considered a great pick the day of the draft but doesn't work out in the long run, that's a completely different evaluation of his new team's decision than identifying a player who was considered a reach at the time he was picked. Immediate draft grades provide a foundation for future evaluations.

From the mouth of Draft Analyst
    Chad Reuter

Though he may be biased as it is his job lol

Borat, REVISion, westiedog1 and 4 others like this.
  7. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

It's easy to draft for need when you have a need at every position

JetFanInNE, mrjet80, Ralebird and 6 others like this.
  8. The Great American

The Great American Well-Known Member

My mama says dem jets fans so ornery cause they haven't won a Super Bowl in years.

dawinner127 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  9. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

Not for us it hasn't

Jets79 likes this.
  10. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

What kind of paper bag do you use for your head when you go to the games?

AtlantaJet and MoWilkBeast like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

A more Democratic view would be to say that This could be the biggest waste of talent by the next Phase of Management (the Coaching Staff ) in NFL history if we don't win at least 8 games

Just imagine what Bill Belichek Andy Reid Mike Tomlin or McVay would do with the the Jets Draft and current roster...Playoffs!

12. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Douglas filled needs and drafted top rated players, so the draft itself was positive, better than most prior Jets drafts. Whether this leads to success only time will tell, but if it doesn’t I don’t think you can knock the decision making done here. The one thing that may hang over it is if Thibodeaux becomes a stud for the Giants and Gardner doesn’t pan out. Other than that I don’t see much criticism

ColoradoContrails, Jets79 and Noam like this.
  13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Best part so far is all the talking heads give the Jets the #1 overall rating in this year's draft. I;ve heard that like 10 times across the board yesterday. Everyone LOVES the Jets' draft.

14. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

J-E-T-S Jets, Jets, Jets. This is the best Jets draft I've liked since Sanchez. Also liked how the Ravens drafted. Good thing they're not in our division.

Jets79 likes this.
  15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

jixxjr and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I think that not surprisingly the Ravens nailed the draft…they sat tight and let it come to them and while it may not be flashy, they grabbed two potential All Pros in round one and didn’t trade up. Funny how the good smart teams succeed

that being said I love our draft…my only quibble was I may have gone OT at 4 instead of CB but can’t complain about Sauce

I also like the Giants first round…not sure on the rest but they got a cornerstone Edge and OT…that’s a great round in any book

mrjet80, Noam and westiedog1 like this.
  17. K'OB

Top needs: DB, OL, WR

A

Entering this draft, the Jets had an extra first-round pick (from the Jamal Adams trade) and an extra second-round pick (from the Sam Darnold trade), giving them two in the top 10 and four in the top 38. And after another last-place finish in the AFC East -- their fifth in six seasons -- I thought they'd choose two prospects from three positions -- offensive live, wide receiver and cornerback -- with their top two picks. And that's exactly what they did.

The Jets selected my top-ranked corner in Ahmad "Sauce" Gardner (4) and my top-ranked wideout in Garrett Wilson (10), each of whom have All-Pro skill sets. Then they moved back into Round 1 to take Jermaine Johnson II (26), who had fallen down the board. He is a really solid, all-around defensive end who had 12 sacks last season and was the best prospect at the Senior Bowl in January. I had Johnson No. 11 on my Big Board. Those are three rookie starters from general manager Joe Douglas, for a team that needed a talent infusion at all three positions.

And still, Douglas & Co. had an early-second round pick to get a good player, and they landed my top-ranked running back, Breece Hall (36), a touchdown maker with some tools to be a weapon in the passing game. That's three of my top prospects at their respective positions drafted by the Jets -- and an awesome class from Douglas.

The only slight knock here is waiting until Round 4 for an offensive tackle, which means they must be OK with George Fant and Mekhi Becton in 2022. Max Mitchell (111) is more of a developmental prospect who can be the swing tackle early in his career. I do think Jeremy Ruckert (101) could be a useful tight end in backing up C.J. Uzomah. Overall, this is one of the best groups of 2022.

Noam, jixxjr and FinnishJET like this.
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

thank you!!

jixxjr and K'OB like this.
  19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think we had the best draft, or tied for the best, ATM. I also think JD did a stellar job.

That said, if JJ didn't shockingly sink to 26th this would have been a very different draft. That pick made the whole draft cause we almost missed out on a top edge in a talented edge year. That would have been hugely puzzling. You gotta give credit to JD for making the move though. Luck rolled our way and he grabbed it. That gave us 3 firsts, including 2 top 10 picks, so we better be at the top right now.

I'm not high on what the pundits grade us because the draft was really wonky this year. WR was vastly inferior to last year, yet 6 went in the first 18. QBs were also inferior, though their rating are harder to estimate than WR, and they went ridiculously low. This draft could be remembered as the great QB steal of 22. Imagine getting a FQB in the third round. Its hard to beat that value. Even at pick 20, where Pickett went, would be a steal. Getting the top WR wasn't nearly the value it was last year, while getting a top QB could be immensely more valuable than last year.

IMO you usually don't need to wait 3 years anymore to start deciding. After the second year things become pretty clear. Last year most said the Bears/Ravens/Browns had the best draft before the season. After 1 year it looks like the Chiefs and Eagles had the best. This year will probably determine which is was. This year will also go a long ways toward knowing how good last years draft was for us.

Out of the gate, I'd also say the Giants had a heck of a draft, and in a way, and kind of the first two picks I wish we had. They got a top 2 lineman on both sides of the ball, and a solid WR next.
    The Eagles also shined by landing a top DT, a top center prospect, and snagged Dean with the 84th pick. They also added AJ Brown for pick 18, and an additional 1st next year.

I'm excited to see how our new guys play and will likely soon switch my avatar to JJ. Ideally, one of him smashing Jones or Allen.

K'OB and Jets79 like this.
  20. K'OB

No probs, oddly not behind a paywall in the UK lol