Please help cure my offensive line paranoia...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Apr 30, 2022.

1. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

LaFleur will run 12 personnel possibly 13 now.

We are going run heavy with outside zone blocking scheme / double tight.

Fant will move to LT. Becton and AVT the less exp lineman will move right. Zach should be well protected and the right side of the field should be bulldozing folks.

We’re fine unless everyone gets hurt again.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Paranoid? Well at least you are not seeing Ghosts

Wahoo and Noam like this.
  3. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

The team likely has their eye on an OT that is likely to be cut next week when the cap is set. Like Moses was last year.

4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

We gave up 30 ppg and you're wringing your hands over the OL?

I would have slit my wrists if we drafted an OL with the 4th pick. We couldn't stop a fucking nose bleed last year. The line isn't nearly as bad as you think it is. The worst unit was the defense and that had to be addressed.

PJ4Ever and Acad23 like this.
  5. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Appreciate your concern, but I think a bigger weakness is LB for jets. I really thought the 3rd round pick was going to be at LB (and should have been) an area of MAJOR need for jets. Nothing against TE Jeremy R., but when will he ever see the field with not one, but TWO TEs recently signed to multiyear contracts?

JackBower likes this.
  6. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Yup

7. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Frankly, hard to tell what the situation is with LBs right now. CJ is solid and the Jets seem to believe Quincy Williams has pro bowl potential. The real question is how good are the 2 converted safeties at LB, both of which were injured for a significant portion of last year. The Jets seem to have a very high regard for those 2 converted safeties. Remember that in nickel defense (which has become the base defense now given how often you see 3+ wr sets), you only have 2 LBs on the field anyway - would you replace CJ or Quincy Williams in that situation? They attribute the run defense problems to poor interior line play and poor safety play, not to poor LB play. My guess is that the Jets don't feel that LB is a problem for them and that they feel they have enough depth there. Time will tell if they're right or wrong here.

8. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

OBVIOUSLY the jets do not see LB as a position of need--they ignored it in the draft. They had two quality linebackers sitting there available in late round three, and they went for a 3rd TE. Both of those LBs were immediately drafted with the next two picks.
    Douglas hit a grand slam home run with this draft :), but round three and the lack of LB is the only question mark in my book.

Red Menace likes this.
  9. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Long version:

The way I look at it, JD had some house money in oline in becton. They signed a top level guard to move AVT over and replace the worst guard in the league. That's an improvement. The Jets have no don't put becton on notice, so he had to get another year to prove it. If you picked OL early, you're stuck with that decision.

We didn't have that at other positions. There was no potential starting TE or 2/3 WR on the team, and taking JJ seemed more opportunity in getting a guy they had in their top 8.

Short story:

You can't please everyone. The Jets have thrown crazy resources at the line the past few years. Even if it wasn't elite success, you just can't keep doing it.

Linebacker is by far our biggest weakness.

tomdeb likes this.
  10. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

So the statistics that I posted don’t concern you at all?

11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I go by the eye test and they played much better as the year went on. Also, not all sacks are in a leaky line....Zach was holding the ball too long in the beginning and 3rd and 4th string Wideouts not getting open doesn't help.

NYJFOREVER and REVISion like this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's hard to overstate how big a problem GVR was. At one point last season he alone was legitimately responsible for around 45% of our total pressures allowed. Just replacing him should improve our line a lot, GVR is not a starting NFL-level player.

Having said that, I have pretty much 0 faith in Becton. I guess we have to hope Mitchell is good or that we sign a competent cap casualty.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

My rebuttals to each of your four points

1. I admittedly can't find the stats right now that back it up, but quite a few of those sacks were due to Wilson not knowing when to give up on a play and either scramble or just throw it away. I would like to think improved pocket presence and a second year of playing in the NFL will knock off a few of those sacks before accounting for the addition of Tomlinson and return of Becton. Less Jeff Smith, Denzel Mims and others of their ilk, plus having actual NFL tight ends will also help.

2. This is a misleading stat IMO and a result of game flow more than the line's inability to run block. The Jets had the fewest rushing attempts in football last year and that's due to falling behind in games, not a lack of wanting to run the ball. In fact, if you go by yards per carry, the Jets were 13th. For good measure, they did just add the consensus best RB in the draft.

3. The story you referenced was written BEFORE last year. Based on how much changes from year to year, let alone over 2 years, this story is irrelevant IMO.

4. Due to injuries, the last 3 games were played primarily with backups on the line. The Bills game only had 1 projected starter (Vera-Tucker player), against Tampa it was only Vera-Tucker and Fant, and against Jacksonville it was Fant and McGovern. Whether the Jets have sufficient depth on the OL is a legitimate discussion, but to use the last 3 games as an indictment on the starting 5 is unfair IMO.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’d think Joe hits the waiver wire hard for a camp cut or even between now and training camp.

There’s still some serviceable lineman out there at the moment. I see the below.

T Bryan Bulaga (33)
    T Eric Fisher (31)
    T Riley Reiff (33)
    T Cameron Fleming (29)
    T Jason Spriggs (27)
    T Zach Banner (28)
    C JC Tretter (31)
    C Matt Paradis (32)
    C Nick Martin (28)
    G Trai Turner (28)
    G Max Garcia (30)

This is according to Spotrac so I’m not sure if it’s updated. Age shouldn’t matter when we need a one year rental to be a backup.

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Spriggs… brings back great TGG memories of people losing their shit when he went a few picks before us. Little did we all know it was about to get so much worse when we actually picked.

16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This really Isn't a huge deal.

One. You should lose the expectation that our backups are going to be made up of 1st and 2nd round talent. That's unrealistic.

Second. This was a new offensive system last year, with a rookie QB, and limited weapons to work with. Year two will bring familiarity and breed consistent play because of It.

Three. We have some good fucking players If they can stay healthy. Most of our OL are durable so we just got to hope for the best.

Four. Our depth Isn't the worst either and I'm saying that even with GVR sitting there as a backup. I still think we will be okay.

Five. We have actual weapons to utilize In this offense, with a young QB heading into year two. This OL Is night and day better than It was before JD walked on the scene.

This team has been dramatically overhauled. Including the OL. Let's wait and see what year two brings before we hit the panic button, no?

17. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

What were the 3 positions we needed? You don’t trust Becton, which is fair enough. RG is the next obvious spot, which was drastically upgraded due to the fact that GVR was horrendous.

Fant was one of the best pass blocking OTs in football last year. AVT will improve. McGovern isn’t as bad as everyone made him out to be.

The Jets struggled a lot with DL stunts last year, partially due to AVT being a rookie and again, GVR being god awful. As the year went on they got better at picking up these stunts. Their sack rate was so bad at the end of the year because they had Chuma Edoga or Connor McDermott playing significant reps, same for Dan Feeny. To add, the Jets weren’t playing with NFL WRs that could separate against man coverage.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  18. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Douglas hasn't ignored the OL, its just that nothing he's done has really fixed it.

19. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I mean he’s not a terrible backup. Def want LDT

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  20. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Am I crazy thinking Fisher is a no brainer? He had the torn achilles but started every game for the Colts last season.

PJ4Ever likes this.