The jets will win at least 10 games this year and contend for the playoffs.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by bleedgreen, Apr 30, 2022.

1. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

This hinges on 2 factors, avoiding catastrophic injuries and ZW development. He needs to be in the 33 to 66 percentile by whatever performance measures are used. Let me expand. Sorry for this long post.

Last year jets coulda, shoulda, woulda won 6 games with even a below average defense, not the horrific one they had. So the jump up is major but not out of sight.

The main reason the jets were terrible is the defense could not get off the field. Realize the extent of the changes coming in 2022. They have added Jefferson, gardner, Lawson, curry,reed, whithead,Solomon Thomas,Jacob martin. That is 8 players who never played a down for the team last year. They lost 1 player as I recall. Camp battles will tell us who fits in where and who starts, etc, but how can there not be vast improvement. Plus they could still add more players.

The offense added Becton,Tomlinson, Wilson, hall, ruckert,Conklin and uzomah. 7 players who never (yeah becton) played a down last year. They lost a couple on the OL and depth could be an issue. But they have loads of time to still get backups. This has to lead to improvement.

The normal learning and improvement out of the S curve dip. The staff all have 1 year under their belt. If they are anything, they will have learned how to utilize players, who to utilize where, etc. the players also have the years’ experience. None of them will have age wear. Should be a big benefit.

The schedule is tough but the tough teams also have to play other tough teams. Every game for every team is a battle and on any given Sunday….

So again, if no catastrophes and ZW improves to at least average, 10 wins and playoff contention.

KingRoach likes this.
  2. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure things will be this magical just quite yet but I will say I don't think a 10ish win scenario is "totally" out of the question.

Not expecting it though. I think to win 10 games we'd have to have more stuff go right and break our way than we've had in years.

But then again... nothing has gone right or broken our way in years so maybe now is finally the time.

3. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

I think 8 is realistic and anything over that I would be ecstatic. Just playing meaningful games and not being blown out will be nice and I think we will be in many games this year

4. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

I'm feeling good about the team, but feeling guarded because the AFC is stacked. Let's assume we repeated last year's schedule and played the following teams (again); which ones do you think have an inferior roster to us after this draft? Are there 10? (We played New England, Buffalo and Miami twice, so let's count each of those as 2.)

Carolina
    New England
    Denver
    Tennessee
    Atlanta
    Cincinnati
    Indianapolis
    Buffalo
    Miami
    Houston
    Philadelphia
    New Orleans
    Jacksonville
    Tampa Bay

5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

One thing is for sure. You can't say there's no talent on this team. It's now up to Saleh and the CS to get these kids to play winning football. Saleh has had his Mulligan year. He is on the clock from now on.

6. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Without knowing the condition of our OTs and the progress of our QB, I would say about 8 wins with splits against NE and MIA.

7. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

If ZW develops i think we beat NE,car,housto,jax,maybe miami,atlanta. We did beat cinn and tenn. If this years team played last year we beat tampa. Is that 10?

barfolomew likes this.
  8. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

This season now hinges on 2 players.
    Zach and Becton, Jets need these 2 to become the players we thought they could be.
    If they can the future looks pretty bright.

9. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Realistically, I would be happy to play competitive games each week and win 6 to 7 games. Our division is brutal. Improving to 1 and 5 in the division seems like an accomplishment while playing the rest of the league even at 5-6 or 6-5. That would give us 6 to 7 wins but be an average team in a brutal division.

1978 is my comparison. After 2 amazing drafts and 3 straight 3 win seasons we posted an 8-8 record which was the building block or baby steps that led into a successful 1980s decade. I just want to see that improvement. A competitive team, learning how to win who is on the verge of becoming a dangerous team.

10. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Yes, as long as we beat NE and Miami both times. Awesome.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I don't know about number of wins, but I think we will far more competitive this season and will be in most every game with as chance to win it. The outcome amidst a tough division and a rough schedule is hard to predict, but there will not be many embarrassing defeats due to a massive mismatch in talent. The gap is closing. We will be a run heavy offense eating the clock and a very aggressive defense against the pass. Let us hope injuries are minimized with sufficient depth to be competitive.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I would say 7-9 or 9-7 should be attainable. Anything less than 6 wins should be viewed as a failure of this CS to implement its system or their system itself is flawed.

rickjet, REVISion, papapump and 3 others like this.
  13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

10 wins?

With our defense?

:p

apjbfc, Cman68 and FJF like this.
  14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

LOL

apjbfc, REVISion and FJF like this.
  15. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

Love the optimist view!! I am jumping on the train too! This team has all the makings of a tough out who team will compete. Let’s hope it translates to the field. I think this roster is a big upgrade from where it was when JD came on the scene. The culture is improving with the new coaching staff.

Let’s fucking get it Jets!!!!’

In the next few years I hope this team buries the SOJ mentality for fucking good and they rise from the ashes as a team nobody wants to play !!!!!!

J!! E!! T!! S!!
    JETS! JETS! JETS!!!!!!!!!

rickjet and Nyjets4eva like this.
  16. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Isn't pre-season great? ;)

Cman68 likes this.
  17. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

PRE-SEASON BLOVIATING... jetfan tradition

cval, Ralebird, SOJAZ and 3 others like this.
  18. Stevied

Stevied Well-Known Member

We’re one more good offseason away. Part of that is need for further inventory, but mostly needed development time for the young guys we now have. More seasoning if you will.

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Never fails. This is our superbowl weekend.

KingRoach, REVISion, Ralebird and 3 others like this.
  20. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I’m expecting a .500 team this year but everything hinges on Zach. He takes a decent step forward this year? Sure, 10 wins could happen but that’s not my expectation going into the season.

At the very least, this team got a major influx of talent this offseason which should energize this fan base.

I agree with what some have said in this thread though. JD has done his job, there’s talent on this roster now. Anything less than 7ish wins has to be seen as an indictment of this CS but I think Saleh and Co. are up to the challenge! Should be an exciting year for us!