Welcome to the Jets Sauce Gardner

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

that would be my guess but who knows. Saleh knows him very well and he played some FS and slot when he was with the Niners…but he made his name playing on the outside…similar scheme, he should fit right in. But the addition of Sauce makes me feel like Sauce and Hall on the outside, with Reed in the slot, playing some safety…playing on the outside…he’s quite versatile. I only said Reed in the slot because I don’t see Hall and Sauce moving inside. It should be an interesting competition for PT between Hall/Echols/MC2 potentially

PJ4Ever likes this.
  2. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Hated the pick at the time. I'm more accepting of it now because of how the rest of the night turned out, but idk. Obviously will root for the guy, but not crazy about the corner pick at 4. Wanted Ekwonu or KT

ouchy, ColoradoContrails and stinkyB like this.
  3. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

The playing experience the young CB's got last season will help them, now as backups for the most part and there is nothing wrong with that. But the starters will be Gardner and Reed for sure. The question is, will or can Reed play slot?

Either way, our depth is :
    CB1- Gardner/Hall/Dunn
    CB2- Reed/Echols
    Slot- Carter/Guidry
    OR

CB1- Gardner/Echols
    CB2- Hall/Dunn
    Slot- Reed/Carter/Guidry

Regardless how it plays our, our depth is now VERY satisfying and our starters are markedly better than last years' starters.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  4. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Yea, we are miserable, with good reason. I could list the passed over superstars, but everyone knows the names. Do we remember the passed over busts? No, and probably unfair, but when you haven’t won in over a half century that’s what happens. And it’s on them to change our minds. Let’s see if Mr. Douglas can do it.

5. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The fact that Joe Douglas and Saleh were willing to sign DJ Reed and use a top 5 pick speaks volumes about how they view Bryce Hall and Brandin Echols.

6. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

In a vacuum the Sauce pick didn't make a whole lot of sense with KT on the board, but add JJ to the mix and a healthy Lawson... we might have something.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Echols is a safety now. Who knows whether he will stick or not but I believe he will be playing the safety position in camp

8. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

you probably feel pretty good then?!

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Isn't it Pinnock that moved to safety?

MoWilkBeast and BacktoQueens like this.
  10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Trading back into the first for JJ was the moment of this draft imo.
    The cost wasn’t too bad either. We got a little lucky for a change.

ouchy, ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I've gotta say - the more I think about it the more hilarious it is how strong this notion was that we don't value CBs at all. We had probably the worst defense in franchise history last year. That means there were no real strong points on the defense, and CB is arguably the 1st or 2nd most important position on defense in general.

NYJFOREVER and BacktoQueens like this.
  12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I been saying it all off-season I have no idea where this notion came from that CB and DBs in general are not important in this scheme.

One of the biggest problems with our D last year was that we didn’t trust our CBs.
    As a result, we ran Cover 2 most of the year, putting our Safeties deep, keeping them out of run support.
    It took Maye out of his intended role of making plays near the LOS, and we got gashed on the ground all year as our LBs were also terrible.
    And we still got beat badly in the air even with the extra S support.

If you look at what put this D scheme on the map, it was the Legion of Boom in Seattle.
    Tall rangy CBs, a ball hawking center fielder, and a smash mouth SS that can be moved all around the D.
    Saleh even had Sherman brought to SF.

It was such a false flag that CBs (and DBs) aren’t important in this D that it frustrated me to no end.
    If Sauce can help neutralize some of the top WRs in our conference without much S help, it’s gonna be a game changer for our defensive game planning.

#92 BacktoQueens, Apr 29, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  13. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i'm not trying to pick a fight but consider the following. Neither SF or Seatlle has ever invested much in first round CBs and certainly not at the top of the draft. It's not that they don't like CBs (who doesn't). It's that they invested their high draft capital elsewhere. It has to be the case that CS and FO saw Sauce as a true game changer because this goes against their modus operandi:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_San_Francisco_49ers_first-round_draft_picks
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Seattle_Seahawks_first-round_draft_picks

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

oh yeah, I had the wrong JAG lol

15. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

The other option is Hall to the bench w Carter in his natural slot role

16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah and beyond that I just think CBs are important in every single scheme. If we look at the top defenses in the NFL they almost all have very good secondaries. The Patriots have built their defenses from the secondary up for as long as I can remember.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  17. StealthDefense

StealthDefense Active Member

My one post a year. Was frustrated at first with the Sauce pick, then thought it out. Good corner’s lengthen the play and make D lines look better. Go to Ravens with Chris McAlester and Ed Reed, Revis and Antonio Cromartie, Ty Law and Lawyer Milloy etc.

JJ2 has great back end pursuit, he doesn’t quit on plays. Lawson (when healthy) was a pressure cooker who can flush out the pocket. Maybe driving QB towards JJ2. Then we have Q up the guy who should be more comfortable in this D and JFM/Rankins/Solomon.

You start to see the structure of the D taking shape. Maybe a Dean, Muma or Leo runs the middle of the field lighting shit up.

Sauce lengthens the game on those pivotal 3rd down plays that we got torched on. An extra second makes a big difference when we were close to sacks but not getting them last year.

-Stealth

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think we value good corners but the question is using pick 4 on one, especially with so many quality linemen on the board. We got Revis at 14.

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I didn't love the sauce pick because KT was on the board. Getting a pass rusher at 26 made the Sauce pick great for me... but in the moment, the only thing that would have made our 4th pick worse in my eyes was taking an OL.

Ralebird and bicketybam like this.
  20. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

So much cover 1 man and bailing on 3rd down situations. CB play wasn't good last year. Hall and Echols are solid depth pieces. MCII was the best CB we had.