How would you grade the Jets first round draft performance?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Apr 28, 2022.

?

How would you grade the Jets first round draft performance?

1. A+

104 vote(s)
    67.5%
  2. A

32 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. A-/B+

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. B

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. C

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. D

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  7. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I'm predicting Nick Mangold has a new product lined up by the start of the season.

barfolomew likes this.
  2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Honestly. A+

Really well done with the execution.

Loved to see Douglas fired up with "we are on the fucking clock!!" when they traded up. Must have been gut wrenching to try to trade into the first again starting at 15th to get JJ.

barfolomew and KY Jets Fan like this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

#4 Sauce Gardner. In hindsight, a brilliant move. Going into this 2022 season, we had Echols on the left with Hall on the right, and MCII in the slot. That was our Nickle defense which we were in most of the time. When in Dime (4 WRs/4 DBs) we had Guidry coming in. That was it. Our bottom 5 secondary. But then, Douglas went to work. First, he gave DJ Reed out of Seattle $33M to come here and be our new #1 DB. Instant upgrade. Then last night came Sauce Gardner, the best DB in the draft. Pick a side gentleman. Now add FA S Whitehead and JD moved our secondary from bottom 5 to (potentially) top 5 in one offseason. Brilliant. We will no longer be giving up the most passing yards in the league.

But how does that help our pass rush?

Think back to last season and how many times our own QB was sacked/hit b/c he couldn't find anyone open in the allotted time.

There's your answer.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

This is all about the Jets sticking and relying on their draft board.

Sauce was the guy all along there at 4. I believe and Saleh mentioned there wasn’t a franchise altering pass rushers available here. So that doesn’t mean go reach for one because it’s a need. Stick to the process. Grab arguably the best CB in the draft who fits the scheme. Then at 10, grab arguably the best WR in the draft, get your QB a weapon.

and then like in last years draft, stick to the board and strike when you see a player you still value high. JJ was there and Saleh already saw him in person and did all the homework at the senior bowl. Go get the EDGE guy who fits this scheme. Wonderfully done and way to stick to the process and not panic!

I was team Thibs all the way but I def was happy Sauce was the pick. I wouldn’t have liked JJ at 4 but getting him at 26 is the value pick. Love it.

5. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I mean if you are referring to CB and WR, both Sauce and Wilson were consensus top of the pile.

Sauce was the Jets target all along, per the stupid WJ Johnson TikTok video. So they got their guy, not a consolation prize.

REVISion and barfolomew like this.
  6. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I did not like the Sauce pick as I like Hall and think he could be solid top 10 to 20 CB. But, this team needs not only good and average players but great star players. Sauce could be a star lockdown CB.

If you look at the starting roster now there are only 2 starters that are below average Rankings and Zach. Zach will hopefully improve as the talent around him improves. But, what is lacking are star players and depth. Hopefully, we will fill in some of the depth in our 5 final picks. But, we still are missing great players. Adding three potential stars in Sauce, Wilson and JJ gives us a better chance of finding a great player or two.

In hindsight I trust JD and I am excited about the talent being added. This is a young team that is improving greatly. It reminds me of the 78 team when we added a lot of talent in back to back drafts. Maybe JJ will be our Gastineau. We got Gastineau the last time we coached the senior bowl and JJ this time.

Borat likes this.
  7. Footballgod214

Texans picking at 3 (right before our pick) took DB Derek Stingley. In 19 the kid had a Freshman season for the ages then didn't play much in 20/21. Some of the announcers were surprised they took Singley instead of Sauce. Question: Which DB do you think JD targeted? Would he have taken Stingley if Texans nabbed Sauce? How excited do you think JD was when Sauce fell to him? It will be interesting to see the draft board in those highlight vids the Jets make after the draft! I bet Sauce was their guy and if he went to the Texans, they would have gone with Thibs. Just my guess!

8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Doofus Woody says that every year though

9. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I think having multiple guys that can cover WR's for more than 2-3 seconds does help the pass rush.

Not to mention we get Carl Lawson back, who hopefully won't have lost much of a step after the Achilles but that's still a big question mark, and we added JJ in the draft. Our 3rd down DL is very good rn IMO, Lawson, Q, JFM, and JJ is a very talented unit. Still think we need a 1T guy for early downs but we could get that today or tomorrow in the draft.

Overall, the defense has taken a huge step forward IMO. Will they be a top 5-10 unit? That remains to be seen but they definitely won't be a bottom 5-10 unit anymore.

REVISion and Footballgod214 like this.
  10. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Thank you Houston Texans for NOT taking Sauce Gardner!

11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

secret sauce?

oh well

12. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

I totally agree with this. The Jets are always the Champions of March and April, however, in September, they are the laughing stock of the NFL perennially. This draft (so far) looks great on paper, have to see how it translates to on the field performance. But to the gentleman who graded it "below" F and called Gardner a "clown", I wanted to know what you base this on. Every expert in the world says he was the best cb in this draft and possibly the best player in the draft as well. I wouldn't call a guy who gave up 0 TD's in his ENTIRE COLLEGE CAREER a clown, better to say as this poster said, let's see how it translates on to the field of play.

NYJetsO12 and Jets-N-Terps like this.
  13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Doesn't really matter what conference you're playing in, giving up 0 touchdowns in an entire college career is fucking insane.

14. Footballgod214

And don't forget Solomon Thomas we got in FA. He was a former 1st round pick DE who played for Saleh from 2017 to 2020. Him plus JJ last night plus Lawson coming back like you said, plus our new top 5 secondary, could be really fun defense to watch! I'm excited!

Jets-N-Terps and KY Jets Fan like this.
  15. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The 1977-79 drafts were awesome….the Jets haven’t put together a thing of drafts like that since….built the core of the 80s teams - four playoff berths in six years.

However it looks like JD may break that streak if he keeps going

Noam likes this.
  16. Suepersonic

Suepersonic New Member

17. Footballgod214

When Devante Admas or Stephon Diggs or Ja'marr Chase or Tyreek Hill or AJ Brown or DK Metcalf or Deebo come to town, it will be really nice knowing the Jets have a tall, rangy, really fast DB who can erase all those MFers from the game! WAY better than giving up 150 yards to any of them in a blowout loss.

dmw likes this.
  18. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Not sure if you misinterpreted my post. When i said i preffer deebo at 10 i was referring to the wilson pick, but i didnt expect a trade anyway. So i am happy with the pick. With all 3 picks. In my ultimate dream mims would have been good enough, along with moore, not to have needed a wr this year. I would have been happy with edge and db and then somehow traded picks for 2023 first rounders. Nevertheless, the team did great on day 1

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I was pissed that they took Gardner at 4 at first, and then even more so when the Giants took KT right after. CB was a luxury pick IMO, no matter how good he is. And I still don't think Big Tuck In is going to be reliable for 17 games (and hopefully playoffs), so I really wanted Ekonwu there. But Douglas and Saleh obviously know more about Becton's condition and whether he can be counted on than I do, so I defer to them on that. But seeing the Giants then take KT and Neal really made me question Douglas's plan. He "redeemed" himself a bit with the Wilson pick, although I had wanted Williams, but seeing Williams getting up and walking around getting congratulations I definitely saw him limping a bit and that clarified my indecision about whether he can recover fully any time soon. But trading back into the 1st to get Johnson saved the 1st round - it was like Ali coming off the ropes at the end of a round and knocking out his opponent. There was obviously some luck involved - there is no way Douglas knew that Johnson would continue to fall like that - but as another great GM once said: "Luck is the residue of design".

Getting back to the Gardner pick as I've had time to digest it and also take in what others have said here, I now like it, if not love it. It can never be a bad thing to add a potential superstar to your roster, and I think Gardner and G. Wilson will be that, and Johnson has a good chance to be. But something that somebody here pointed out about Gardner being on the "D" will make Moore and both Wilsons much better, and that's worth something too.

So, overall, I still think they should've gotten Becton's replacement in Icky, but given all his other moves since he's been here I trust that JD knows what he
    s doing there. I revised my original grade of "A+" to "A" simply because I still think Ekonwu was the better pick and because Joe got a little lucky that he was able to grab a top Edge after all was said and done.

20. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

And Eric Decker the same year.