How would you grade the Jets first round draft performance?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Apr 28, 2022.

?

How would you grade the Jets first round draft performance?

1. A+

104 vote(s)
    67.5%
  2. A

32 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. A-/B+

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. B

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. C

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. D

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  7. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The media is just praising the Jets right now so the bashes right around the corner hit harder.

I've been watching this team for 50 years now and I know exactly what happens when everybody gets happy about the Jets. 2005 happens and 2007 happens and 2011 and 2012 happen.

Just watch.

boozer32, Ralebird and Jets-N-Terps like this.
  2. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Yup, a potential franchise altering draft.

Now imagine if they get Nakobe Dean. That's one cornerstone piece at each level of the defense.

Noam, mrjet80, KY Jets Fan and 2 others like this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Stop being so miserable. If the Jets really get you this upset maybe it is time to stop watching. How about Tennis maybe golf?

tubby, bicketybam, LAJet and 3 others like this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Why bother watching then? If things can go as well as they did last night and you’re still gonna wake up and piss and moan about the last 50 years to invalidate the present, what’s the point?

bicketybam, hornblower, FJF and 2 others like this.
  5. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

When he mentioned his marketing team wanted him in NY a red flag went off I must admit, but after hearing his interviews and learning that he gave up 0 touchdowns I also had to realize the he is a business, and who can blame him for trying to secure as much money as he can on and off the field in the unknown amount of time he will have as a player. I think he knows he has to perform first, but I’m pretty sure we’ll see a commercial or 2 before the season starts.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

The Jets hit a grand slam last night. Three of the best players in this draft and all at positions of need. The Jets (on paper) got a lot better. With that said the Jets will have to start winning some games obviously. We still need to see Zach take the next step in becoming an elite level QB. Bottom line last night was a great night and it improves our chances of having better results on game days.

BudJet, bicketybam, REVISion and 4 others like this.
  7. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

He's got a deal with Old Spice and has been pushing deodorant in some of his interviews leading up to the draft.

Most of us get 30-40 years to have a career and earn enough money to buy our homes, put our kids through college, and save for retirement. The average NFL career lasts 3.5 years, and those guys often have wives that spend a lot more money than my wife spends. ;) They would be foolish not to do everything possible to wring as much value as possible out of their short careers. Historically, many NFL players lived as if the income stream would last forever and then had to live poor later in life. Thank goodness players now have agents, parents, etc., that push them to take care of the business side while they can. It doesn't mean they are distracted or have their priorities wrong; it means they're being prudent.

boozer32, KY Jets Fan and fansince90 like this.
  8. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Agreed. A good and fair take….

9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

If I was the dude, I would've had deals with KC Masterpiece, Franks Red hot, tobasco, Kraft....all lined up already ;)

Brook!, REVISion, chrisrex and 3 others like this.
  10. fansince90

I see your point. I did not realize that. This is exactly why I did not want Zach Wilson. So I’m sure based on your comments you felt the same way about him too, right?

11. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Well that’s not gonna be 2022. This year will feature an up and coming team. The years you mentioned were either injury riddled or a good team coming down off it’s high with aging veterans.

This is a little different situation, no?

12. fansince90

Personality fit? I wonder what that means…I was absolutely impressed by his post draft interview. Articulate intelligent, humble, great qualities in a human being no matter which field you’re in.

HackettSuxTNG and cval like this.
  13. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

Originally, I was part of the "Give Sam one more year" club, but obviously that would not have worked out very well either.

14. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

In a vacuum I didn't love the Gardner pick. I would have preferred Ekwonu or KT. I thought pass rusher was the biggest need on the team right now, and it felt like the Jets ignored it. Had I known they were gonna end up with Johnson anyway, I would have been fine with this.

I was cool with Garrett Wilson at 10. Defense is a huge need, but if Zach Wilson doesnt get any better, pretty much none of this matters.

I thought the trade up for Jermaine Johnson was excellent. Filled a major need with a player who should come in and produce right away. They lost a dart in the 5th round, but I wouldnt be surprised to see a trade back somewhere today to recoup that.

Pepsiguy5, ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Sam would have had more toys than Zach as we would have deployed that draft capital elsewhere.

If Sam failed anyway we could get Baker for cheap now.

16. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

I am happy with gardner. I would have preferred Deebo at 10 but i didn't think the trade would happen anyway. We needed an edge badly. I don't care if we got the second best at the positions as long as they play really well for he jets. Now the addition of some really good players through he draft, plus the injury returns, plus the off season moves, plus the natural evolution of rookies everywhere, would give us a team with at least 10 wins. Boy, I hope I am dead on about that. I really do think it is possible. ZW, lets go!!!!

17. Suepersonic

Suepersonic New Member

So true. The Jets' secondary was the worst in the league last year. So, what did they do? Added Reed, Whitehead, and now a potential shutdown corner in Gardner. They couldn't secure one of the best WR's in the league. So, what do they do? They draft a potential star who will immediately have a positive impact from day one. Edge rusher? Not Hutchinson? Okay, just a good one to improve the team on day one. I don't know if they hit a home run or not, but they certainly improved the team, and I'm HAPPY about that. Misery has no place here.

18. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but hindsight 20/20 I have to disagree. Even if the Jets kept Sam, do you think he would have had more toys than the Panthers had? I say no.

Look, I will admit when I was wrong: Clearly keeping Darnold was NOT the answer.

I honestly hope I am wrong about Gardner and you all make fun of me for many, many years.

cmcm750203 likes this.
  19. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Rating: Big Balls

big big balls on Joey D. We've hit all three major needs on this roster.

A lot can happen in the next few years but the last two drafts, make me believe we have someone who knows how the NFL works and can maximise assets.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

20. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I'm optimistic about the players selected, but there's no doubt that JD has some skill. Goddamn, how does he do it? Is he friends with everyone in the league so everyone does him solids? Shit. All I know is that next time I buy a car, I'm calling him to negotiate my trade.

BudJet and Brook! like this.