2022 NFL Draft - Round 1

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 28, 2022.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There are several backs that should be available in the early 4th round.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  2. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

I would have thought so, but a bunch of sites are now penciling in Sauce and Hall as starters with Reed as second string. That seems wrong to me. I think the right combination is Sauce and Reed as starters. But I guess we'll see.

I know we keep hearing that this defense depends on the DL getting to the QB. But it begs the question: How quickly? Last year, with our secondary, the answer was "really fast, or the ball will already be on its way to an open receiver." But adding Whitehead, Reed, and Sauce means the answer is, "maybe you have a little longer than last year." Couple that with Lawson and Johnson, and our defense might become reasonably competitive.

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  3. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

This is what I am hoping for.

Round 2: BPA. In order Breece Hall, Brisker, Chad Muma, Or Trade back. Maybe we grab a first next year soehow if someone wants Willis? Also, with coaches being at Senior Bowl, if they want a run stuffing DT, they will know if they want Travis Jones or nkt.

Rd 4: Cade Mays. I think we need a project to eventually take over for Fant.

that’s really it. I really want Breece Hall. Texans would be the only threat to take him.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The point on Fant is really good. Douglas has built this line with a lot of vet adds and they will drop out very quickly and the Jets need to be ready to have people step up. It's better than going into every other draft needing a starting OL somewhere and with no idea if a rookie can do the job.

5. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Could be a money thing so that’s why I say.

6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Are there any Carters or Wilsons available? One of them is bound to be a Jets selection

7. Early 80's

Early 80's Active Member

We need a cover safety and a LB ... both as starters. After this early 2 pick, we don't pick again until about 100 or so.
    Ideally, select either position with our early 2 pick.. then offer our next 2 picks to move back up and take a player we covet at the other position.

Our roster is improved from last year via FA.. and even more after last night. We still need an impact starter at LB+S... then we go for depth every pick thereafter

8. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I remember one game early in my fantasty football career I was down like 12 or 15 points (lost for sure basically) going into MNF with a Dolphin game and Zach Thomas racked up 18 tackles to pull off a miracle win. The guy that lost was pissed.

JETFUEL1580 and BacktoQueens like this.
  9. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I was against Sauce because of the scheme but the selection tells me Saleh was sky high on him and they saw him as pivotal

also they must feel Becton is back. I don’t know what he weighs but 400 on farmers walks are impressive

since Im on cloud 9 this morning I’m envisioning becton and Lawson back to 100%. We won’t recognize this team

now If we catch lightning in a bottle with our later picks and find another impact player holy smokes

Snatch Catch likes this.
  10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

We need DL also since letting Fatukasi and Phillips walk, while retaining Rankins and Thomas who suck.
    A 5tech and a Nose.
    Also need RB and OL depth.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think so. Hall’s ball skills are rough. He does a good job sticking with his man but it doesn’t matter if he can’t do anything once the ball comes into play. That’s more in line with a backup than a starter

Johnson could develop as a pass rusher, who knows but I believe year 1 anyway, his biggest impact will be felt in the running game

dawinner127 likes this.
  12. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I suspect it was a good solid plan, a "don't overthink it" mentality about securing what appears to be an A+++ young man at CB, and a good dollop of luck thrown in on top but however it happened that was pretty magical. This entire board on balance and the NFL world in general would have pretty pretty positive on the Jets night if they drafted JJ and Wilson with their two picks. So basically as it turned out we ended up with Sauce coming along for free. And a case can be put together that in a vacuum Sauce Gardner is the best player in the entire draft.

I swore I wouldn't let this happen no matter what but fuck me if I'm not excited and optimistic about the Jets near future all of a sudden. With what they added in free agency, plus the way this draft is shaping up, plus the year of learning that our QB and coaching staff now have under their belt I feel like good things may actually start happening as soon as this year.

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  13. Richard Lyman

Richard Lyman New Member

Additions to the 2022 team -- draft round 1.
    1.4 - Sauce Gardner - CB
    1.10 - Garrett Wilson - WR
    1.26 - Jermaine Johnson - DE

All 3 should be starters. Should be able to add a DT, LB, S -- possibly 3 more starters with rest of draft.
    Also, we added the following starters in free agency --
    - Jordan Whitehead - S
    - DJ Reed - CB
    - Laken Tomlinson - G
    - Uzomah and Conklin - TE

In addition, we get the return of starters -
    - Mekhi Becton - OT
    - Carl Lawson - DE

Hoping we can stay healthy this year. Possibly added/returned 9-12 starters from last years team.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

Everyone knew there would be a WR run at some point. There were a lot of WR needy teams in the late teens & 20s (PHL, KC, GB, AZ, etc.). The question was whether teams would jump on WRs ahead of that run.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

WR value was crazy this draft it went from no value to a few steals later on. most of the top guys were off the board before 20 and many of them weren't even 1st round material IMO. I think the chiefs scored big with sky moore, i felt he was better then the 5 or so guys picked before him in the 2nd. the steelers got a steal in calvin austin III in the 4th.