How would you grade the Jets first round draft performance?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Apr 28, 2022.

?

How would you grade the Jets first round draft performance?

1. A+

104 vote(s)
    67.5%
  2. A

32 vote(s)
    20.8%
  3. A-/B+

9 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. B

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. C

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. D

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  7. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

I love Brisker and it may be because Ima PSU fan but he can play in the box as a hybrid and has range to play deep safety as well.

2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I admit, it looked like a so so night after first two picks, given the needs we had and premium assets to address them. Edge not being addressed was a huge concern. Sauce, as good as he was, felt like a luxury pick compared to the need at Edge, and top Edge KT went a pick after. I thought we lost JJ, who was the only blue chip Edge left, when we went Wilson. Then JD somehow pulls a rabbit out of his ass and gets JJ too, giving up only 3d and 5th for 4th. Incredible!

Now, I thought JJ as top 10-15, but wasn't as high on JJ as KT, but Saleh had him as #8 ahead of KT after seeing him up close and personal at Sr bowl. Given he has great reputation with Edge players, had a really close look, and had him so highly rated makes me feel even better. We addressed WR and Edge with blue chip prospects, and got a top level luxury pick as well in Sauce. The guy who played against top teams, never gave up a TD, and maximum 13 yards total to the guys he was covering. With main needs addressed, that's the luxury I can get behind!

boozer32, Pepsiguy5, LAJet and 4 others like this.
  3. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Proof that fans would make hideous GMs with takes like this
    Good part is youre pretty much alone

Sec124DieHard and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  4. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Because some are just clueless.

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

roller coaster for me

pick 4 sauce D (hated it becuase wasn't a need. i felt sauce to me was a top 10-15 guy not a top 5 guy and KT was right there
    Pick 10 wilson C (jumps to a C, wilson was the only WR i felt was worth a top 10 pick and it was a need so it bumped up a little
    pick 11-16 B seen the WR run happen an realize JD was smart to take wilson at 10 because the value dropped fast
    pick 26 A+ we trade up for JJ who I felt was a top 15 talent and would have been fine with earlier

so really I would have been fine with a trade back and taking wilson at 10 and JJ at whereever we traded (maybe 12-15 area) and more picks but landing 3 top 10-15 guys is impressive so I can't argue with the results and sauce is better then any CB we would have grabbed later on so

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  6. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Probably the worst take I’ve ever seen on this site, that’s really really impressive.

7. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Like that even matters. The SEC has produced a huge amount of busts.

8. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

He must really hate when players celebrate after every touchdown. Buncha clowns in this league.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

It is better to be lucky than good.

Johnson falling to 26 bails JD out for the sin of passing on Thibideaux.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Sauce Gardener but without the Johnson pick the missed opportunity would really sting.

Offensive tackle was arguably the best value at 4 but Fant was outstanding last year and giving up on Becton now does not seem to be the best way to build a team.

I didn't like the WR pick at # 10. In the post draft press conference JD said he didn't consider trading down. Trading down could have gotten us guys like Linderbaum, Lloyd, Wyatt, etc. This pick looks better in light of other teams reaching for lesser WRs later. Again Johnson at 26 takes the sting out here.

Should we have gone with Antonio Brown who is a sure thing over a rookie?

Brown would cost more against the cap but it seems we could have gotten draft capital as the Titans let him go for less than pick ten.

It will be interesting to see how we use pick 38 and to see how we fill our hole at safety. Hamilton went off at 14 and two more safeties were taken at the end of round one.

Had JD traded up fron 38 to get Cine, going WR over Hamilton would make more sense in light of his success in getting a safety later.

We end up with three good players at positions of need at the expense of two top ten picks along with high picks in rounds two and three.

JD gets an A- from me as he missed opportunities but made no big errors.

ouchy, stinkyB and Section 336 like this.
  10. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Definitely an A+. In part, because JD made great choices with the picks he had. In part, because JD did some brilliant things to get us these picks (Adams trade, etc.) and create the opportunity to make these picks.

LF911SC and BudJet like this.
  11. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

There’s always 1.

ColoradoContrails, LF911SC and FJF like this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It was a B+ draft until the trade up.

The trade up doesn't look like a lot but it was a player and a demotion from the 3rd round to the 4th round. It was the kind of move that a team that has 45 roster spots locked up makes when they just need the guy on the 26 to put them over the top. The Jets probably could replace half the players on the roster this off-season and improve significantly in the process.

13. WilsonJetsFan

Yeah, imagine how badly Sauce would have been beaten if he had to defend against a real offense like, say, Alabama, and had to go up against a real NFL-caliber, first-round receiver like, say, Jameson Williams. I wonder what that would have looked like.

Maybe it would have looked something like this.

14. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Hopefully Douglas hit home runs in the 1st, because if we're picking in the top 10 again next year, his tenure will be over, Ws and Ls proves all

Br4d likes this.
  15. WilsonJetsFan

This year, the top ten pick was awarded based on Seattle's record, which was 7 wins. Assuming a 7-win season gets you in the top 10 again next year, are you saying JD gets fired if we only win 7 games? Hmmm. I would like to win more than 7, but the Vegas over/under is 5.5, and I don't see any scenario in which 7 wins gets him fired.

LF911SC likes this.
  16. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

What conference did Josh Allen come from? A long list could be made of successful NFL players not from those conferences, so I'd say it's you being upset they didn't pick exactly who you wanted moreso then Sauce.

You wanted to invest more in the oline? Stay a fan.

#96 JackBower, Apr 29, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

Neither is the Big12 when it comes to D players.

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I am ECSTATIC!!! Nothing short of brilliant...I think he is a beast with a better attitude than Thibs

Wanted JJ all the way ..and JD got him at 26???

The GMhad to be working those phones hard between pick 10 and 26 ...sheesh

So why did JJ drop like a rock??

boozer32 likes this.
  19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

7 wins could easily get him fired. That's the scenario where the Jets don't look ready to take the next step in '23. That would make his overall record as GM 20-46 with nothing close to contention anywhere in his 4 year tenure.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Did not wait up until the trade.
    Woke up to see we got JJ at 26?!?

Changed vote to A

Was hoping KT or JJ with 4
    Sauce or Hamilton with 10
    WR in 2nd

Not the order I thought would go and my least favorite of the top 4 WRs but overall good stuff.

NYJetsO12 likes this.