Will Deebo Be a Jet (Poll)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KingRoach, Apr 25, 2022.

?

Will Deebo be a Jet in 2022?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2022.
  1. Yea

11 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. No

102 vote(s)
    90.3%
  1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

Nice post but a slight correction the Jets offer for Hill was 1227 points as they got a 3rd rounder back from KC in the deal.

GasedAndConfused and Borat like this.
  2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

That scares the crap out of me.

ukjetsfan, twown, PJ4Ever and 3 others like this.
  3. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

If we can get Deebo and still have the #4, #35, and #38 picks, this will be a very good weekend for the Jets. The #4 guarantees that we can get one of the top Edges (Aiden/KT/TW/JJ) and a couple of other very solid starters out of #35 and #38. Coupled with the strong FA moves JD has made, injured players returning, and last' year's rookies having another year under their belts, we should be much more competitive in 2023. Unfortunately, we'll have a more challenging schedule. So I don't know how many more wins we'll have, but even the losses should be more bearable to watch.

Brook! and dawinner127 like this.
  4. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Puke.

I agree this is out of character for JD but he's been acting progressively more out of character this whole offseason. He's in full on desperation mode because he knows he's out of a job with another 5-6 win season.

This is the part of every GM's tenure who fails early where they sell the farm to save their job and starting doing suboptimal things for the next 3-4 years in order to make the next 1-2 years look decent.

If we trade for Deebo and our #4 pick works out then we'll probably look decent next year and the year after before wishing we had 3 more years of a WR on a rookie contract instead of Deebo.

5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

So far every contract this year seems reasonable and some are bargain. The only time he made an offer that's arguably above market value is for a star WR: Hill. He did not go all out for Marcus Williams for example. I think he just realized the importance of veteran star WR in Zach's development and is willing to pay what is now market price for it. I think JD still has same principles, and hasn't turned into MacCagnan just yet.

KY Jets Fan, Noam and dawinner127 like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, it might be Douglas, but I'm thinking the pressure to trade for a stud WR is coming directly from Woody. If we can believe that the Jets will offer a "massive" deal to SF, that has his pawprints all over it...this would go against what Douglas has been saying. To clarify, I wouldn't call the #10 plus a later round pick or a 2nd or 3rd in 2023 "massive" - expensive, but not massive - so I'd believe that a deal like that comes from Douglas. But anything more than that is shades of Revis II and that was all Woody.

KingRoach likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Has anyone considered that Douglas is willing to trade picks and pay top tier players because it’s a really good idea?

8. WilsonJetsFan

Plenty of folks on this board are saying he should be gone if he doesn't win more than X games this year. I don't think that's the right way to look at it, because given where the roster and cap situation was a couple years ago, it can reasonably takes more than a few years to bring in a roster full of young guns and let them develop to the point we're a highly competitive team. But as long as people disagree with my view, it's reasonable for a GM to start doing what's necessary to buy yourself another year.

9. REVISion

That's definitely part of it, Woody is super impatient and hates being thought of as a laughing stock owner. He'd gladly trade two years of 9-8 football in exchange for building a lasting contender if the lasting contender route meant a year of 6-11 before taking form.

Nah I don't do this "the GM knows better than us because he's a GM" BS anymore. It's been proven time and again that it's often not the case. We don't have career risk to consider sitting on our couches for example, we just legitimately want the best moves for the long term health of the team. If I was JD I'd probably trade for Deebo too, because I'd care more about making a shitload of money as GM than I would about setting the Jets up as best as possible for the long term.

Besides, we've heard it from JD's own mouth that the way to build a winner is through the draft and not by spending big bucks on guys from other teams. He's right about that, but he's at the point where he has to do things that are bad for the long run for there to even be a long run for him career-wise.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I feel like you are literally the only person beating this “JD is going to do what every other GM with a young QB trying to win in 2022 because he’s trying to save his job” drum. I don’t think it’s even remotely close to true because, like I said, this is how you win and build in the NFL in 2022.

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Up to a point. But if he offers a "crazy" deal for Deebo, either he's panicking, or Woody's pushing the buttons on it.

Noam and REVISion like this.
  12. REVISion

I've seen enough bad GMs in my days as a Jets fan to know the playbook pretty well at this point.

You win and build in the NFL in 2022 by drafting a franchise QB and then spending up a storm to build around him. The plan doesn't work without the franchise QB part, so you shouldn't sell the farm until you're sure that part is in place. It's important to give a young QB help but that doesn't mean spending a ton of money right away - it means drafting pieces to help him.

When you have 2-3 years of evidence indicating the QB you drafted is probably the guy that's when you spend a ton of money to win a Super Bowl in that 2-3 year window where the QB is still on his rookie deal.

99% of the examples you're probably thinking of where teams broke the bank to buy their young QBs help probably involved QBs who were very clearly franchise QBs right away.

ouchy likes this.
  13. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I don’t think you’re wrong but JD and Salah are gambling that Wilson is the guy in year 2 and beyond IMO….If he’s not they’re probably gone anyway and we’ll have to pick up the pieces so it’s really no downside for them.

14. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

His 2021 draft is looking fantastic.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I hope that JD and Saleh combo is the reason why. 2020 really does look like dog shit. Almost a waste of a draft really. #11 overall looks like a 50/50 player now at best, and the rests are just busts. Heck even the punter was the worst one in the League last year. Gotta hope JD and Saleh can repeat 2021 this year.

16. REVISion

I've thought this too before and I don't think it gets talked about enough - I think Saleh and LaFleur brought a ton of knowledge from San Francisco about what to look for in players.

The 2021 draftees were polar opposites of the 2020 ones. The 2021 guys were generally technicians while the 2020 guys were measurables guys. I hope Saleh and LaFleur have a strong influence on the 2022 class.

Borat and KingRoach like this.
  17. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I feel like

in 2020 JD asked Gase what he wants in players. Gase replied big and fast.

in 2021 JD asked Saleh what he wants in players and Bob replied with a power point presentation.

#77 KingRoach, Apr 27, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  18. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I have seen absolutely nothing in the past 22 years to indicate the bolded is in any way accurate. Woody Johnson is the invisible man among NFL owners and I see nothing even hinting that he has a problem with that.

20. WilsonJetsFan

10+35+38? This dude could make a fortune selling whatever kinda crack he's smoking.

JD has said he's ready to be aggressive but aggressive =/= desperate. When you have 4 picks in the top 38 and endless cap space, there are many good ways to add a really good receiver. Sure, spend a lot for the right opportunity, but it would be insane to give away the farm for one player. We have too many positions that need more strength.

The 49ers keep saying they're happy to keep Deebo, but no matter what they say, it is very unhealthy to force a player to stay on your roster if he doesn't want to be there. You're not going to get his best over the next two years, and having a disgruntled star in the room will erode culture and morale for other players. Give the 49ers fair value, and they'll do a deal before the #10 slot is called Thursday night. They know it, and JD knows it.

My guess is that the deal is done, that Deebo is getting examined by the Jets doctors now, and that a trade gets announced sometime today (Wednesday). But if I'm wrong, I'm super excited to see what WR we choose Thursday, while the SF execs can spend picks 1-60 figuring out what they're going to do with a disgruntled WR who will be gone in 2 years and they have no great draft picks this year to start grooming his replacement.

Royal Tee and ColoradoContrails like this.