What are your DREAM Draft Day Scenarios for the Jets?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by PennyandtheJets, Apr 3, 2022.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There are going to be people falling out of the 1st round. It happens every year. The concerns expressed are always different but they are also always concerns expressed and both of those players have had a lot of smoke around them this time around.

It's not so long ago that L'ael Collins a projected top 10 pick went on day 3.

PJ4Ever and BrowningNagle like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It is the dream thread after all Br4d. Stranger things have happened anyway.

Br4d likes this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Just went looking on the pff draft game and Thibs is down to #7 but Burks has freefallen to 45th?

He wasn't that low the other day, he was late 20's if I remember rightly.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Like most of us, you're helpless!:D

5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Wirfs plays the position all signs are pointing to Becton playing this year, if he plays at all.

6. ColoradoContrails

But the key point is that we weren't looking for a RT then, we were looking for a LT, and Becton fit Gase's system.

K'OB likes this.
  7. REVISion

Wirfs fits the system too. There is no system that calls for 370 lb tackles because very few 370 lb tackles even exist. Wirfs isn't small either, he's 320 lbs and was an extremely accomplished weightlifter at Iowa. He's legitimately stronger than Becton despite being 50 lbs lighter.

I also think Wirfs would've been a good LT anyway given his athleticism and technique. He has quicker feet than Becton at the very least, Wirfs had a 37" vertical at 320 lbs. The concern with going from RT->LT is usually that you won't be agile enough, meanwhile Wirfs is very clearly more agile than Becton.

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well after the first 3 picks are history who we get at 4 and even at 10 will no longer be such an unsolvable mystery

I get the OL argument ..but it could be useless if Ekwonu taken and then we are stuck with Weight Watcher Becton lol

Right now there are just too many variables all over the place who goes number 1 2 and 3

IMO the Michigan Edge is the dominant player in the Draft. The Jags should take Hutch at 1 ...but if they don't??? and they take Icky we would still have another 2 hurdles to overcome

This is just to crazy..it just gets less crazy as the the first 3 players come off the Board

9. K'OB

But not the position he was drafted to play and played well at in season one.

So I am really saying you can't slag JD off for selecting Becton when he was ranked a top 10 LT in season 1.

You're just hindsighting to make some kind of point.

Ralebird likes this.
  10. BrowningNagle

yes you can because Becton had injury concerns and he has played only 15 out of a possible 33 games, so you can "slag" Joe Douglas for ignoring the injury concerns

11. REVISion

No hindsight, I thought Wirfs would make a better LT than Becton at the time of the draft and I stand by that. Wirfs played some LT in college, he wasn't exclusively a RT. He was similar to Becton in that regard.

It also just stands to reason that more athletic OTs usually play on the left side, and there is no question Wirfs is more athletic than Becton.

12. ColoradoContrails

You may well have picked Wirfs to be better, but the consensus from the experts was that Becton was better. At least Douglas didn't pass on all the top rated OT's to select two DBs like a certain former Jets GM did. Now THAT was horrific drafting. In Douglas's case, maybe he got it wrong, but based on Becton's rookie year it looked like he actually nailed it so I don't think you can say he was terribly wrong...well of course you can say it, but it doesn't mean you're right.

13. K'OB

He was a RT in college that played 3 games at LT (as far as I can research) and he has played RT as a pro, I like you and all of that but come on man, you are not a pro scout, if the man was an LT he would be playing it as a pro, it is that simple.

I am not saying Wirfs isn't a good player but when we drafted Becton for a Gase system he delivered and so wasn't a waste of a draft, he was ranked a top 10 LT and that is all that this discussion was about.

Of course, he hasn't helped himself and he sure doesn't look comfortable in this system and I am as worried as anybody else he is close to becoming another in a long line of busts.

https://hawkeyesports.com/roster/tristan-wirfs/

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I think the issue with Wirfs on draft night was many people thought he was more suited to guard. I wanted Wirfs (Willis 1st, then Wirfs, Thomas and Becton was my preference) as I thought his floor was a lot higher but I don't think the idea of drafting Becton who many thought was better suited to playing LT was bad either nor do I discount the approach of drafting the player with the higher ceiling hoping to hit that homerun. Ultimately, I am more conservative and like the sure thing but it does not mean Douglas' choice was wrong. The draft is a lot of luck and you will lose a lot. The problem is we often you use hindsight to criticize and ignore the process that goes into the decision with only the smallest bit of knowledge compared to the actual decision makers.

#334 Noam, Apr 26, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He didn't have injury concerns coming out of college.

PJ4Ever and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Seems like the Ickey rumors at 4 are picking up steam.

I mean we haven't had a foundation worth a damn around our QB in so long. I wouldn't mind it cause I know Ickey won't be at 10

If we take Ickey at 4 and then have Fant/Becton go at it on right side. We have a core group with AVT too.

The hope is we land Jermaine or a WR at 10. I can see Jermaine being there just because of age

17. BrowningNagle

I like it, it’s a good plan. Although it Thibodeaeux is there at 4 it’s gonna be brutal making that call between him and Ickey

KY Jets Fan and Poeman like this.
  18. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Okay, here's my DREAM draft:

1(4) to ATL for 1(8), 2(43) & 5th – ATL moves up for Malik Willis
    1(10) to KC for 1(29), 1(30) & 4th – KC moves up for Jameson Williams
    NYJ trades 3rd & 4th for a late 2nd – NYJ moves up for a FS/DB

1.8 – Garrett Wilson, WR
    1.29 – Arnold Ebiketie, DE
    1.30 – Nakobe Dean, LB
    2.35 – Tyler Linderbaum, C
    2.38 – Travis Jones, DT
    2.43 – Tyler Smith, OT
    2.50s – Jalen Pitre, FS
    4 – Pierre Strong, RB
    4 – Jeremy Ruckert, TE
    5 – Zyon McCollum, CB
    5 – Kevin Austin, WR
    5 – Zach Thomas, OG

Noam likes this.
  19. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Agreed, Douglas will have a big call to make. Whoever we don't take may end up being a Giant. They want edge and OT too

20. K'OB

Show me the proof of injury concerns in college, I can only seem to find he played 13 starting 11 as a freshman and then every game in 2018 all star honours 2019 but it doesn't say how many games he played?

No mention of injuries anywhere?

Now if you change injury concerns to weight concerns then nobody would argue as that was the only red flag he had.