Will Deebo Be a Jet (Poll)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KingRoach, Apr 25, 2022.

?

Will Deebo be a Jet in 2022?

Poll closed Apr 28, 2022.
  1. Yea

11 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. No

102 vote(s)
    90.3%
  1. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

That's not necessarily true. Trading 1, maybe 2 picks, for a great player doesn't mean JD has changed his philosophy IMO.

Good GM's realize that while the core of a team should be built through the draft, there are other mechanisms (trades & FA) that can help.

Especially when the only big moves he's tried to make are for elite WR's, it makes a lot more sense and seems to be in-line with how they want to build this thing. Their stance (JD & Saleh) has been the same since they drafted Zach last year. "You know how exciting this is. I'm pumped for you. The biggest thing I want to tell you, remember this. This organization is going to lift you. Not the other way around." Adding a talent like Deebo would certainly fit with that.

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I don’t know roach.. he seems to waffling with his game plan. In one interview he wants to be aggressive in a trade and in another he wants players who weren’t over paid to be here… Hopefully it’s all a smoke screen and it very well could be.

3. Rockinz

I get that I really do. I think it’s a lot easier to trade for a player that has had success over drafting one and putting your rep on the line. To say there isn’t a WR in this draft on the level of Deebo is not accurate because we don’t know what these prospects are yet.

Heck there could be WRs that are way better than Deebo and he organically became a jet and grew with Wilson. We just don’t know. But who should know is the guy making the big bucks and making the picks and that’s on JD. He’s a draft guru apparently so let’s see him hit a home run for once.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Voted yes. 35/38/69 or #10. Idc whatever it is. Deebo is a super star. Give me all the weapons to help #2

FJF and KY Jets Fan like this.
  5. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

I agree with you on this. I'm not sure if I said that specifically, and if I did, that certainly wasn't my intent.

I like a couple of the WR's in this draft, Williams and London specifically. If we draft either of those guys at 10, I'll be happy, but if you're going to take a WR at 10 who could be better than Deebo, why not just use that pick on a guy who is as good as Deebo? It's not like Deebo is 30+ and has 1-2 more years left in him. He's 26, probably has at least 5-6 more "good" years in him, is someone that can grow with Zach, and could possibly even help Zach in his development.

The only negative with drafting a WR at 10 is that it's probably going to take him some time to develop, that's just how it is for 90-95% of WR's. On the flip side of that coin, if we trade for Deebo, we've gotta pay him a lot of money immediately.

Quite frankly, I think we're in a Win/Win situation here. Either we get Deebo or we draft a really good WR prospect.

#25 KY Jets Fan, Apr 26, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  6. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Just figured if I vote no, the chances of him becoming a Jet increase.

7. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I think again, both can be true.

He wants to be aggressive in a trade but not foolish and he’s willing to pay a player what his value is. If it’s $25mm, so be it. But he’s not going to overspend by a significant percentage.

Last year, I guessed we were going to trade up in the 1st for an OG and trade back in the 2nd for a C. Ya know, build Thru the trenches. We stayed out in the 2nd and got a WR. Does that mean JD abandoned his promise to build Thru the trenches? I don’t think so. If we didn’t have extra picks, I’d be more likely to agree but since JD acquired extra assets I’d say he enabled him self to both build Thru the draft and trade for established talent.

8. KingRoach

I put Deebo in my portfolio. If Robinhood has taught me anything, the man isn’t going to be in the green, he’ll be in red very soon. Lol fml

Brook! and FinnishJET like this.
  9. Jeff M

Jeff M Well-Known Member

The thing w Deebo is that he excelled in a dual role. Supposedly he did not like how he was being utilized and that is why he asked for a trade. In his role as a WR his stats were relatively pedestrian.

There is no point in trading for him if he cannot be put in the role that he wants.

If you are looking at him as almost only a WR then his value is at most the # 10 pick..........if that ..............once you factor in the contract.

Why do we think we think he would be happy here when he wasnt happy in SF unless his role changes ? Once the role changes his value decreases.

So bottom line here.................yes, I would trade the #10 for him..................but absolutely nothing more.

amuck57, LAJet and Lon Chaney like this.
  10. Rockinz

It’s a fair assessment. I just hope your right and he isn’t getting desperate and has lost his confidence in his eye for drafting a WR.

KingRoach likes this.
  11. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

It's a bad idea to keep using him as an RB, as that just invites injuries and will shorten his career. That's bad for him and for us. I'd prefer to see him in a pure WR role, with maybe a Jet sweep every couple of games to keep defenses honest. And yes, don't spend more than a #10 pick on him.

Jeff M likes this.
  12. KingRoach

I would say Moore supplied a confidence boost last year.

How bout this scenario? We draft Iky at 4 and trade Becton for DJ Moore straight up. Who says no?

Trade for DJ Moore, draft Skyy Moore and my crystal ball prediction hits!!

Rockinz likes this.
  13. Rockinz

I’d trade Becton for a bag of footballs and a few of those Carolina cheer leaders but hey if they want to throw in DJ that’s even better.

I’m really concerned Becton is going to show up at 370-380 pounds and get hurt in TC. I like Ikey I just feel we need to take a pass rusher at 4. We can get a guy like Raimann at 35 if we need insurance for Becton.

KingRoach likes this.
  14. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I voted no b/c nothing has happened yet. It's possible the teams are far apart in negotiations and will agree at the last second.

15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Any GM who rigidly stuck to one way of doing things - somebody like Mike Maccagnan for example - would be a terrible GM. And going after ONE proven, young offensive weapon is hardly "...literally the opposite of what he said he was going to do." Hyperbole much?

And we don't actually know if Douglas is even considering Deebo, or has had any talks with SF about him. All of this comes from media and fan speculation. Douglas himself has never said anything other than "I'll consider anything that will make the team better". Do you see Deebo Samuels name in that statement?

I personally think if he can add Deebo, or Brown, or Metcalf for a reasonable price he should do it. Giving up the #10 and Mims, or a 2023 2nd or 3rd would be my limit as to what's reasonable, but if JD said "#10 straight up take it or leave it" and SF left it, I'd be okay with that too. You can't build a sustainable winning team by giving up more assets than you acquire, and nothing Douglas has done indicates that he's deviated from this guideline.

Brook! and KingRoach like this.
  16. Rockinz

I hope your right. SF is saying “kings ransoms” and that scares the shit out of me too.

I really don’t see an issue with staying the course and build it through the draft and sprinkle in free agents. Trading assets for guys looking to be paid is the exact opposite of what he said his plan was. That’s what I have trouble with. If he’s a “draft guru” GM than stick to that.

KingRoach likes this.
  17. KingRoach

Haha.

I’m not concerned about Becton, that’s the FO’s job.

Pure speculation but maybe having a strong women and baby at home will help Becton keep his foot on the gas (no brake).

When the off-season 1st started I was very adamantly against drafting OL early . Rewatching the late season games a few weeks ago changed my mind. We were able to overcome injuries everywhere except the lines. TBH, if I drafted IKY I wouldn’t look to move Becton or Fant anytime soon.

Rockinz likes this.
  18. KingRoach

Let’s get on the same page.

Define “build through the draft”.

NFL teams get 7 picks over rounds 1-7, how many would you expect to be starter, on avg their 1st yr? 2nd? I’m thinking 1.5 1st yr starters, 1.5 2nd yr, 1 3rd yr- giving a total of 4 NFL starters on rookie contracts. - I would propose “building through the draft” means you don’t go into the draft with less assets than assigned and are able to develop 4 players per draft.

Pleas let me know if you agree with the suggested definition or if you have something else in mind.

19. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

It feels like the Jets are always rumored to land all these players, yet it seems like we never do. So that's a no vote for me.

hornblower likes this.
  20. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

The Jets are always rumoured to landing these players because well, they're the Jets and that generates clicks. In Deebo's case though there's some logic to the rumour. JD has said he will be and has tried to be aggressive for the right player. He's a scheme fit and knows the CS and there's another rumour (also believable) that they aren't high on the top end of this WR class. So I think he may well end up in green.

I voted no though because I don't think it will be Jet green.