Can the Jets TRUST Mekhi Becton in 2022?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

If the Jets had picked Wirfs he would be at OTA's.

Leicester Jet, Wut? and HomeoftheJets like this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I don’t know man. I don’t think he will work out. It can ho either way but I have low expectations.

3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If he doesn't show up to minicamp and training camp ready to rock and roll. If he isn't in shape and ready to roll, I'll be ripping him apart.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Interestingly, that's where Evan Neal is at: 337, at the same height. Never had an issue with weight. Starter in Alabama since freshman year, consensus all American. Basically a significantly better LT prospect to begin with than Becton, and very recently considered #1 overall prospect when Jags were thought to lean OT vs Edge. I am thinking Neal is in play at #4 if KT is gone, along with Ickey. Becton right now is an enormous question mark. The report that he just now finally got into 300s (meaning he is in 390s) plus is missing voluntary OTAs is not very promising.

I also think people forget that George Fant is not some all Pro player. He did have outlier season last year that is better than usual, but he is not by any stretch of imagination a Pro Bowl player. From a back-up he improved to an average starter, which is great, but not your ideal scenario for LT. Would be nice to actually have a Pro Bowl type of player at the position. Having top end talent like Neal/Ickey lock one of the Tackle spots with Fant/Becton battling for the other is a good scenario for the Jets. If Becton returns to form and doesn't get injured while Fant also looks good, we can always trade a good player at LT for good compensation later on. What concerns me if Fant is just OK or worse and/or Becton sucks like he did last camp, or gets hurt like he did all last year. All of the sudden, Zach is royally fucked once again. Heck, having Neal on the team can actually light a fire under Becton's ass and we might end up with two Pro Bowl Ts.

I would stick to what I said earlier, pick one of these players in this order with #4 (1/2, and 3/4 could be interchangeable based on preference):
    1. Hutch
    2. KT
    3. Neal
    4. Ickey

#224 Borat, Apr 22, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
  5. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Been saying for a while that if Ekwonu is there at 4 and both Hutch and KT are gone, Ekwonu is the pick.

7. NYJ1970

NYJ1970 Well-Known Member

I don't care about what some on the internet are claiming. JD invested a lot into Becton. I don't know why his entire season got derailed last year but I don't care at this point. It's water under the dam as far as I'm concerned. Those videos show that Becton is back to being the animal he was in his rookie season. I really think at this point this thing has really been blown way out of proportion....

KingRoach, chandler and bicketybam like this.
  8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

That's why you have training camp and pre-season. To find out the status of your players.

9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Becton could screw up our entire draft… if he could commit to football and come to camp with his teammates. We wouldn’t have to use a top 10 pick on a tackle and now we can take a shot at Edge/corner/WR

mrmajix, BrowningNagle and REVISion like this.
  10. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Would love to throw Becton in a swimming pool for the next two months.

Swim and get flexible. Get that weight down without having to run etc that's hard on knees.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Poeman and Will-I-Am-Not like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

With or without the massive weight bars he was doing a "farmer carry" with on social media?:p

12. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Leicester Jet likes this.
  13. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

If you threw him in, the splash would empty the pool.

Cman68 likes this.
  14. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

There is definitely a little too much smoke here for there to not be fire. I didnt blame him for missing voluntary practices, I know what its like when you're wife could pop at any moment. I certainly wouldn't want to be across the country.

At the end of the day, all is forgiven if he comes to the mandatory practices and plays well this season, but its pretty clear there's a chance he could be gone.

Personally, I think his potential is way too high to just dump off. I wouldn't even entertain trading him unless you get a first (which they won't).

barfolomew and MoWilkBeast like this.
  15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Here's a pic of Becton and his nutritionist at feeding time...

[​IMG]

cval and Cman68 like this.
  16. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Guess it’s only lame Jet fans who disagree with this Lolol

KingRoach likes this.
  17. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I don't have the slightest idea what Becton can fetch in a trade with some of the questions surrounding his weight/health, but it makes me wonder if we grossly underestimate what the return is here.

18. JETFUEL1580

JETFUEL1580 Well-Known Member

Simple answer, No. If the rumors are true an he's near 400 pounds then he'll never be in the shape the Jets need him to be in. It will always be a problem. Lets wait and see though.

Cman68 likes this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

IF JD takes a OT in the first round, then Becton's future with the team will be in serious doubt. Potential just means you haven't done it yet and Becton needs to be on the field, not on Twitter..

20. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I agree. I think we also need to consider what the return that would be be just good enough to make us accepting of he move. I think most would be happy with Ekwonu who is much more reliable and a better scheme fit, if Becton could get flipped for a 2nd. Does a 3rd or 4th plus a future conditional pick Rd 2-4 (Leonard Williams-esque deal) ease the sting enough?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.