Wide Receiver Situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Apr 2, 2022.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The second tweet I posted is him literally running by someone. So because he doesn't have blazing speed, he's a third rounder? That's just absurd.

Here's what we know for a fact via statistics and the eye test (which I provided for you): London is a YAC machine that can play multiple receiver positions while also possessing the size and strength to be an elite 50/50 ball guy. You can line him up and the opposing defense has to worry about him taking a 5 yard ball for 50 or getting downfield and winning a 1-on-1 matchup for a deep ball. They have to bring a safety, and that changes the entire field which is pretty damn nice when you have guys like Elijah Moore and Michael Carter also running loose. That's why he's labeled WR1 by a some and at the very least, a top 15 pick by most.

Just like with any prospect there are legitimate red flags. The problem is you're inventing red flags that aren't backed up by anything other than your opinion.

REVISion, Noam and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

Stopped reading here because all I've done in this thread is back my opinion up with stats and tape. You have yet to do either of those things.

REVISion and Noam like this.
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

#10 and #69 for DK Metcalf and #109.

What do you think?

BrowningNagle likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It would be pretty funny if after all that the 10 overall pick goes back to Seattle

I would probably do that trade, Metcalf is a freak

dawinner127 likes this.
  5. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If this is on the table I’d do it.

6. Rockinz

No in the second tweet he uses a nice move to create separation but gets caught from behind on an under thrown ball. When I say run by a defender watch this clip of Burks. He even stumbles and the CB can’t get a glove on him.

7. BroadwayAaron

So just to clarify... London blowing by someone then having to slow down to catch an underthrown ball is an indictment on London's speed, not the QB? Come on man...

8. Rockinz

No, I’m saying he didn’t blow by him. He used a nice move to get separation. It was a nice play. He definitely has good lateral movements and hops as he displayed in that clip.

Blowing by someone on a go route for a TD wasn’t on his film. He’s not fast. Doesn’t mean he’s not good enough.

His skills isn’t what I’m most worried about it’s how often he gets blown up where his teammates are scraping him off the turf. Add a broken ankle and now a soft tissue injury to his hammy. I don’t feel he’ll be able to stay healthy by absorbing that kind of punishment in the NFL.

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Only watched the first one because I am short for time but the fact that he scored on this play in absolutely incredible.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. BroadwayAaron

It’s very unfortunate that he is not a YAC guy and is only a one-dimensional 50-50 ball guy

11. BroadwayAaron

Boy are these goal posts moving. So he used a nice move to get separation and this is a nice play, but the big issue was that if he didn’t use that nice move he wouldn’t have gotten separation based purely off straight line speed? What are we doing here?

12. Rockinz

Ya I agree it’s getting petty.

Bottom line there are 4 better options at least over London in my opinion. If we draft him I’ll root for him all the way. I just have concerns he will bust.

blackssmagic likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Just to weigh in here on what I've seen and digested so far about the top WRs.

Burks is very good, but he isn't perfect. He's fast, especially for his size, but his route running - his ability to "break ankles" - isn't the best. In the offense the Jets seem to want to run, IDK if he's a good fit because of that, and I don't believe this ability can be improved upon significantly because it has to do with twitchiness which I believe you're born with or not. On the right team, in the right offense he can be a star, I just don't think that will be with the Jets.

London is slower than Burks, but does have the ability to "break ankles", at least better than Burks. And I think he has better hands. I think he's a top possession and red zone type receiver, but I'm not sure that's what the Jets are looking for. Could be, it's not like they don't need a guy like that, but I think even more they're looking for an explosive playmaker who can take the top off the defense and open up the underneath for the other receivers. I don't think London winds up on the Jets except as a fall back plan.

Williams is the guy I see who most fits what I think the Jets are looking for. Of course the problem is his injury and how - if at all - will it affect his play, and how long will it keep him out, if at all. I think the Jets are willing to take the chance on him fully recovering and being the guy who can be their "Tyreek Hill", except with better character.

Wilson could be Plan-B for them because he also has the ability to take the top off the defense, as well as create problems underneath, and even be used in Jet sweeps. The only reason I don't think he's Plan-A is his similar size and playmaking ability to Moore. But having two guys like that isn't the worst problem in the world. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets take him, except that Atlanta might beat them to it.

Olave is perhaps Plan-B2, and maybe even Plan-A if the Jets decide that Williams is too risky. He's bigger than Wilson and faster, and is very close to Williams in all other respects.

Jahan Dotson would also be a great fit if he's there at 35/38, the only "knock" is that again he's like Moore, except he may well be better than Moore.

Christian Watson might turn out to be the best WR in the draft, or he might be a bust, although I doubt that he fails. He just has too much physical ability and football intelligence IMO. I'd feel more comfortable if the Jets had already picked up their stud WR in a pre-draft trade and then took Watson, but depending on how the board unfolds, he might be the best WR they could take.

Alec Pierce would be another key target in the 2nd round. He offers that tall, fast, WR that can take the top off and be a great complement to the guys they already have.

All this talent, plus guys like Pickens, Metchie III, and a few others, tells me that Douglas may focus on "D" with the first two picks, and then hope he can get the BPA that fits their offense. If he goes for a WR with one of the first 2 picks, I think the ranking is:

1. Williams
    2. Wilson
    2A. Olave

This is just where I see things right now. I still hold out hope that JD can trade for a stud WR (AJ Brown?) before the draft which will significantly alter the draft calculus.

Noam likes this.
  14. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Might have thrown in a future pick. But I would absolutely do something like that

15. BroadwayAaron

This is fair. I’ve always acknowledged the red flags but what was bothersome was your red flags not lining up with any sort of statistical or video proof. I personally think any of London, Wilson or Williams could end up being the best receiver in this class. I think Olave and Burks would be great options if we trade back or if they lasted into the late 20s and we could trade up.

Rockinz likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Most off-season discussions.

[​IMG]

REVISion likes this.
  17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You know it has reached its limit when the gifs start ;)

Noam likes this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

Not to harp on the London topic even more but you just described London when talking about what the Jets are looking for in a receiver. I think Wilson and Williams are also that guy, and could easily be the better pro WR, but London is a guy that can line up in multiple places and hurt you 5 yards from the line of scrimmage or 50 yards from the line of scrimmage.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes he could, but he isn't that explosive guy who can bust loose against the fastest NFL caliber DBs like the other guys. I said that he could be the pick, but I don't think he will be. That said, I'm not an expert, nor do I have the inside knowledge and understanding of the Jets offense to say for sure. If JD, Saleh, and LaFleur think he's the best fit I won't argue, I just think that they're looking for more of a "Tyreek Hill" WR.

Noam likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

I think you can get the same affect on your offense out of London. He wins most 50/50 balls which means you're still getting the yards and the defense still has to account for him. Like I've said a million times I wouldn't be shocked or upset by any of London, Williams or Wilson being the pick.