Wide Receiver Situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Apr 2, 2022.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We've signed some good receivers and found a few gems later in the draft, but we've almost never used a first round pick on one. Sincee 1980 when we took Johnny 'Lam' Jones second overall, these are our first round WR picks:

1985 - Al Toon (10)
    1996 - Keyshawn Johnson (1)
    2001 - Santana Moss (16)

Fun facts:
    The last time we owned the #10 pick it was Al Toon.
    The last time we owned the #4 pick it was D'Brickashaw Ferguson.
    The last time we used pick 4 on DL it was Dewayne Robertson.
    The last time we used pick 10 on DB it was Russell Cater

Noam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Seems like if anything, we've tended to overdraft on "D".

papapump, REVISion and ouchy like this.
  3. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Lately in the first round, yeah. From 2009 to 2017 our first rounders have been, CB, DT, DE, CB, DT, S, DT, LB, S.
    But 4 of our last 5 firsts have been, QB, DT, OT, QB, G.

What stands out most is the incredible amount of resources we have used trying to get a QB the last 11 years. We used last years golden pick, 2nd overall, on Zach, the 3rd overall and three 2nds on Sam, and the 5th overall, a 2nd, and 3 players on Mark. We've not been shy about spending on QB. It just hasn't paid off - yet.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I liked your Post CC but let's be real cautious here...after all you said yourself we suck at selecting WRs lol

But also consider this scenario: the Jets continue to be outplayed the first 6 games of the 2022 season and Z Wilson finds himself down 10-14 points going into the 3rd and 4th qtr game after game. He starts forcing the ball , misfires and doesn't have the completion % anywhere near the first half...Why ? Because the Jets D is pourous and can't stop a nosebleed . And it won't matter who's trying to catch those balls tbh

Look I won't complain if we pick Edge at 4th and WR at 10 but I prefer the best hands or just overall best receiver who can pair with Wilsons abilities e.g. big arm and J Williams

That said An Edge Rusher and Sauce Gardner picks would be a smart move imo

#424 NYJetsO12, Apr 18, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

To be fair, the first half of the season our offense was anemic in the first half, and practically MIA in the first quarter. We had serious issues with slow starts on offense.

6. ColoradoContrails

Again, I haven't said we should reach for a WR. Depending on how the board falls, waiting until the 2nd round might be the smartest move. And in a recent post in one of the threads (actually several places) I said I really hope JD trades for a stud WR before the draft and that would take the pressure off having to draft one early. If he could do that, using picks 4 & 10 (barring a trade back or two) on "D" would probably bring the most value and sure talent to the team. It gets trickier if he can't pull a trade off like that, but I suspect he already has a trade back (or two) in his pocket and will be able to get good value for all the biggest positions of need in the first few rounds. I wouldn't even bitch if he took Sauce at 4 and an Edge at 10 (although I hope it's not Walker who I just keep having visions of Vernon Gholston or Dwayne Robertson), and taking somebody like Dotson, Watson, or Pierce at 35/38.

Like you, I just want Douglas to nail this draft and put enough talent together to allow Zach to prove he either is, or isn't, the FQB we need. If he can do that. I don't care how he does it; if he can't, I probably will stop caring at all.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

But you like Burks??

REVISion likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don't have the energy for this one, I'd rather just let the draft happen. If this is what you think, so be it, but don't be shocked when people are asking where you came up with some things that no one else has come up with throughout the last 3 months of scouting from every outlet imaginable.

cval and Noam like this.
  9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Good receivers put up good numbers with bad QBs pretty frequently. The Bears, Redskins, and Texans all had 1,000 yard receivers last year.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The "last 25 years" timeline is making the situation look less bad than it's actually been. In the last 13 seasons we've had two receivers gain 1,000 yards, Marshall and Decker in the same season.

That's in a league where ~30 different receivers regularly gain 1,000 yards each season. On average about one player per team per year. We've had 2 players in the last 13 years combined.

It's also a league where most of the best teams usually have two receivers who gain 1,000 yards each. There is just no world in which our WR situation over the last decade+ can be called anything but atrocious.

What people don't seem to grasp is that even if Moore turns out to be a 1,000 yards per year guy our receiver room still won't be good enough to be a top team. I can't stress how behind the curve we are in terms of passing firepower compared to the best teams. Don't think we're all set just because we finally, maybe, drafted one receiver who can put up yards.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jet's offense has stunk for a long time because we have no clue how to assemble an offense and that goes back to when the offense Parcells largely assembled began to break down in 2005.

There has literally been nobody in the building who was a great offensive mind or evaluator of offensive talent in twenty years now.

We kept drafting defense at the top because that's what the guys in the building (Herm, Mangini, Rex, Bowles) understood and what they were asking for to make their defensive systems run well.

The Darnold pick was a joke. "Let's just spend 4 picks to take our QB and see what happens."

REVISion and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

13. ColoradoContrails

Can we dare hope?

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Right..so who's to say that's a problem completely solved?

I want to see Wilson improve and not be ina hurry pushing himself into making mistakes

We can have an improved offense once our Defense keeps us in the game imo

Jojo and LAJet like this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Can’t wait. Please, please, please. Say good bye to our second round pick. We get another EXPERIENCED weapon for Wilson.,

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

The worst WR class in recent history is not the draft to change that trend

17. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

We can dare hope, we can draft hope; those is the season of hope

18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

His film is super short. Takes less than 2 hours to watch. Put in the time and you will see exactly what I’m talking about.

19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Yes, his film is outstanding. He was absolutely dominant against top end talent. When he played Alabama, Texas A&M, OL Miss, Auburn and LSU. Those are all respectable teams from the SEC and he chewed them up. Against Roger McCreary from Auburn who is projected as a top 50 pick he absolutely dominated him. These are NFL caliber players he lined up against and Burks destroyed them. He is by far the best prospect at WR in the draft.

Br4d and Jojo like this.
  20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

London has good ball skills but struggles to get open and doesn't do much running after the catch. That's the type of player you find in round 3 and are happy with as a cheap red zone target. Its not something you waste the 10th overall selection on

Rockinz and Jojo like this.