Wide Receiver Situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Apr 2, 2022.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think people - and apparently the Jets owners and F.O. up until now - really didn't appreciate the value of a great WR and how it contributes to making a QB better.

REVISion likes this.
  2. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

I think it is a combination of both, there have definitely been seasons where our receivers were getting no separation, some of which is ‘n the, but I think our OC scheme contributed as well.

I do not think it is for a lack of trying at the WR spot and our QBs did pretty much suck post Chad.
    Not everything has to be the draft, they brought in the likes of Braylon Edwards, Brandon Marshall, Santonio Holmes, Eric Decker.
    They also had 2 second round busts in Devon Smith and Stephen Hill.
    Enunwa could have been decent. But was made of glass.
    Robby Anderson came just shy of 1000 yards.
    Drafted WR early last 2 years I. Mims and Moore.

Noam likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

Whatever the reason though, we've had almost 25 years of suck at the WR spot. I mean you either really have to be trying to be that bad, or just be stupid. What it shows me is how little value the organization placed on building a good offense over that time - it was definitely a "Defense wins championships" philosophy, despite the NFL clearly moving towards favoring offense.

I think Douglas understands this and is building on a blueprint that favors a strong offense.

REVISion likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

We have not had 25 years of suck at the WR spot and even if we did, this draft is average/below average at the position, so Idk why we think over drafting another would make a difference

if anything Cimini's list shows they are more likely to end up with Stephen Hill then they are a pro bowler.

4 picks in the top 40, you have to spend them wisely. Linemen and defense are strong in this draft

NYJetsO12 and KingRoach like this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

In the last 25 years we have only had 9 seasons where a WR has more than 1000 yards. That’s 25 years of suck if I’ve ever seen it.

Edit: Decker and Marshall did it in the same season, so 8 seasons.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

When I watch him I see a player that should be a TE but isn’t big enough so he is trying to play WR. Those routes he ran were really slow. I mean reeeeally slow. Maybe that’s the ankle/hammy. Not sure but that was amateur at best. His cuts were slow and rounded. He reminds me of Kelvin Benjamin.

He’s going to have some success as a red zone threat in the NFL as he has hops and his length will be a miss match.

The injury history is what worries me the most. The ankle obviously but that he can come back from. What really bothered me was how many times he got blown up. If you watch his film several times he got shaken up where his teammates have to help him to his feet. His lack of football IQ puts his body p after the catch in very vulnerable position. This leads to line backers and safeties getting clean hits on him. I just don’t think he will be able to stay healthy.

7. BroadwayAaron

“Lack of football IQ”

come on man. You’re making shit up because you don’t like him. Most scouting reports point out how good he is at finding space against zone and working back to the ball. That’s football IQ. You won’t find a single reputable report that says he’s got a low football IQ.

#407 BroadwayAaron, Apr 18, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The last enjoyable season and even then it ended in the same old Jets fashion.

REVISion, ColoradoContrails and cval like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

And the Baltimore Ravens have had 9 as well, the Chicago Bears 9, the Titans 9, the Chiefs, 10, all in that same stretch. The numbers are useless if you dont compare it to the rest of the league.

The Jets have had good receivers for how remarkably bad their QBs have been.

But either way when you draft you should look at the players available to draft and I have a hard time believing any of those WRs (outside of Jameson Williams) are better options than what will be available at 4 and 10 and probably even the 35. Let someone else pick a receiver so a more talented player drops

NYJetsO12 and KingRoach like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

by the way, last season Elijah Moore stats in the 4 games he played with NFL quality QBs (24 recs, 336 yards, 4 TDs), he easily becomes the Jets 10th 1000 yard receiver in the last 25 years if he didn't have to play with Zach Wilson

19 recs, 202 yards, 1 TD in the entire rest of his season with Wilson (7 games)

11. BroadwayAaron

I’ll ask the same question I posed in my first response… How many Jets receivers have gone on to do great things after the Jets?

12. BrowningNagle

It's a stupid question. The goal is always to have players do great things for your team and not the competition.

So IF the answer is zero, thats ideal

13. BroadwayAaron

Woo boy are you trying hard to convince yourself here. Yes it would be great if the answer was zero if we were talking about a team that wasn’t historically inept on the offensive side of the ball. The fact that guys we have relied on as top receivers have gone on to do absolutely nothing, with the kind of exception being Anderson, means that we have had terrible receivers.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

LOL, seriously.....

15. BroadwayAaron

Man I wish I hadn’t missed that gem. Most people would say that in jest but…..

16. Rockinz

Ya that’s just to prove a point that his measurables were over blown… he’s not the 6’5” freak everyone was harping about.

17. Rockinz

It’s only his second year playing college football.. yes, lack of football iq. Watch the tape he gets blown up a lot because he doesn’t know where the safety and linebackers are on the field.

Can he go up and get it with his hops and his ability to use his height against sub par corners? Yes. Can he make plays with good horizontal movements? Absolutely.

He is super raw and winning on miss matches. Mostly with jump balls on the outside and up the seem from the slot.

My prediction on London is that he’ll be a good red zone guy with some splash plays here and there. He’s Mike Williams 2.0. IF and it’s a big IF he can stay healthy.

#417 Rockinz, Apr 18, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  18. Rockinz

I’d be perfectly fine drafting Burks/Williams/Wilson/Olave in the first. The fab 4 are all polished and each of them have attributes that will translate to the NFL.

Burks - The best true football player with incredible hands and ability to make plays happen after the catch.
    Williams - The fastest player in the draft. His football speed is incredible and will be a deep threat at the next level.
    Wilson - Excellent combination of speed, hands and polished intermediate route running.
    Olave - Excellent combination of speed, hands and polished deep route running.

The 2 land mines are Watson and London. Both have too many red flags for me. I wouldn’t touch them till the 3rd round on a flyer.
    Watson - He is Mims 2.0 he has all the measurements and combine athleticism. Without any impressive production in division 2. Not 1 break out game. Incredibly raw with sub par hands.

London - Raw prospect with good size and jumping ability. Drops were ugly on fast ball throws. Wins on size and hops in a weak college division. Lacks football awareness that leaves him open for big hits.

19. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I believe 1 owns a highly successful car dealership in NJ. #greatness

BroadwayAaron, BrowningNagle and cval like this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

If you want to quibble over 2-3 years, okay, you "win". But in my book, 23 years since Keyshawn was an All Pro, and only 4 of 24 WRs drafted putting up multiple 100 yard games in a season, sucks. It beyond sucks, it's an indictment of how poorly this franchise has understood how to build a winning team and evaluating talent to get there. SMH.

And where did I even HINT at "overdrafting" a WR? In fact, if you actually read for comprehension instead of argument, you would've seen that I specifically said they should NOT simply take a WR in the 1st round if they don't believe he's worth it.

I don't mind discussing POVs and entertaining opposing arguments, but I'm not going to engage in trying to convince somebody who's mind is already made up.

NYJetsO12 likes this.