Wide Receiver Situation

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by york61, Apr 2, 2022.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

One impact starter yes. Vera Tucker. By that I mean started every game and had all pro ability right away as he only allowed 2 sacks all year.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Technically, if you add one player with All Pro ability a year, that is pretty good for a GM!

Obviously Zach Wilson impacts the game a lot, as does Elijah Moore and Michael Carter, but I guess you did not count them due to injuries and inconsistent play.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

That is a pretty high bar. Very few rookies ever play like all-pros out of the gates. We just hear about it on other teams and it seems like it happens a lot but it really does not.

Noam, PJ4Ever and boozer32 like this.
  4. boozer32

I agree and I'm not bashing AVT but it looks like if we are getting one or two each year it's gonna take a while to get to a winning team. Granted the Jets have had some awful drafts but that is why I've said Douglas needs to hit on this draft cause there is a lot of talent in it. Especially in the positions, we need help.

5. boozer32

That is true. Really expecting more from them this year. Also, I think Echols will be better unless they take a corner high in the draft and he either goes to nickel and dime packages. Corner is a hard position to man and Jets fans have high expectations because we had one of the best to play it in Revis.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. boozer32

Williams scares me with the injury. The Jets are just not lucky with that kind of stuff. Not really a fan of London for the same reason you listed. I like Burks and would be happy with him because he is a good runner after the catch. Watson if he's there @35 I think that is good value. He probably the right fit but his level of competition bothers me.

Jojo likes this.
  7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

London looked terrible at his pro day and his measurements are substantially less than people thought. He’s basically a TE trying to play WR.

blackssmagic and Jojo like this.
  8. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

How did he look terrible? I haven't read anything like that?

9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I just watched it. He’s really slow. Also missed a red zone catch. I think he’s the ultimate Jets smoke screen.

he’s also not 6’5” he’s not even 6’4” he’s 6’3 7/8. His hands are smaller than both Wilson and Burks.

blackssmagic and Jojo like this.
  10. IIMeanDeanII

I feel like you're just hating In an attempt to raise the stock of other WRs you like.

He looked fine. His hands were sure handed, the end zone pass was over his head, which Is hard to do with his catch radius. He was plenty fast and I'm sure he will be even better with time. He did just start running since the injury around the time of the combine, then he had another small injury that set him back a little more.

It's really not a big deal and he didn't hurt his stock. He didn't help It though either. Not running the 40 only allows the speed question mark to linger heading Into the draft.

He didn't have time to train for It though because of the injury, so it's understandable too. Why potentially hurt your stock by running a 40 at less than 100?

Overall, he's fine. He's still going to be a top WR drafted.

11. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Does he have any injury history?

12. IIMeanDeanII

I wouldn't say he has an injury history. The fractured ankle was the worst from my knowledge. He has had small minor things pop up here and there, like the hamstring a couple weeks ago. Nothing crazy though. Typical football life type stuff though.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  13. Jojo

Jojo Well-Known Member

Yea well, we also have a YET ANOTHER new QB, one we want to try and HELP OUT for once. Its the right thing to do. We aren't even sure the defense was that friggin bad or was it the coaching, because they sure as hell showed up big time in a few games last year. What happened. We aren't gonna solve ALL the team problems this draft, but we MUST do things for our once again, brand new kid QB. A WR makes sense to me especially since the guy we paid a lot to, cant stay healthy or consistently catch the ball.

14. jdub03

jdub03 Active Member

Multiple sources that were there said the workout was excellent.

https://mobile.twitter.com/raanalytics
    Yes, Drake London isn't going to run a 40 today - still possibly feeling the effects of his broken ankle. If it's any consolation, @RAanalytics has him tabbed at 21.4 MPH which would have been the 9th highest WR in the NFL last year according to Next Gen Stats #NFLDraft

[​IMG]

Recruiting Analytics

@RAanalytics
    Drake London’s ATH Score of 95.7 indicates he has the physical tools to be an immediate impact player which is why he is ranked 5th on our overall big board #NFLDraft2022

REVISion and Noam like this.
  15. jdub03

jdub03 Active Member

I liked what I saw in the few drills they released. He showed very quick feet, which was good to see coming off the fracture. Hands looked natural, which is what you want. Overall a good day. Would I have liked to see the athletic testing, yes. However, I certainly understand not doing it, when you have less time to prepare for those specific tests. I mean, Wilson lost considerable weight to run sub 4.4. I'd rather him come in closer to 195 and run a 4.4 with his play style. I think he played around 190ish.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  16. WilsonJetsFan

WilsonJetsFan Well-Known Member

Agree.

We have an enormous amount of draft capital. We can definitely buy our QB a shiny new receiver for Christmas and also have plenty of capital left to strengthen the defense.

But that begs the question -- are any of the receivers in this draft worth a #10 pick, and if not, what do you do? I think Connor mentioned in yesterday's podcast that the Jets did not grade any of current crop of receivers as high as Elijah Moore. If JD really believes he has to get a great receiver for Zach, and there are no good trade options, do you overspend on Wilson/Williams/etc. with a #10 pick just because you don't have any other options? Or do you invest that pick in a defender or OT that is worth the pick, leaving your FQB-Hopeful without a weapon that maybe he needs to help him develop into an FQB?

I don't know the right answer, but my gut says: If Zach fails this year and next, Joe and RS will be out of a job, and you'll have a new coaching staff with a new offensive and defensive scheme, and they'll want to rebuild with their own players. So, if you don't do everything you can to help Zach succeed, then you are just wasting your draft capital.

On that theory, my latest mock draft selected Icky at #4, Wilson at #10, Linderbaum at #35, Edge at #38, and DT at #69. After all, I'm sufficiently confident in my opinions to invest imaginary draft capital based on them.

17. jdub03

jdub03 Active Member

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Whatever else you may think about the draft and our WR situation, you need to digest this for this article on ESPN+:
    https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-...et-for-a-big-time-receiver-but-theres-a-catch

2. Post-Keyshawn drought: The Jets' track record for drafting receivers is poor. Maybe Elijah Moore, a 2021 second-round pick, can reverse the awful trend. Consider:

• The last receiver to make the Pro Bowl in a Jets uniform was Keyshawn Johnson, selected No. 1 overall in 1996. He did it in 1998 and 1999.

• The last one to record a 1,000-yard season for the Jets was Jerricho Cotchery, a 2004 draft pick who reached 1,000 in 2007.

• Of the 24 receivers drafted since Johnson, only four have recorded multiple 100-yard games as Jets -- Cotchery (eight), Santana Moss (seven), Laveranues Coles (13) and Dedric Ward (four). We're not talking monster seasons, just games.
    This is why some of us are insisting on continuing to focus on offense in this draft. It's an abomination that a team would ignore such a critical part of team building in the modern NFL. I'm not saying they need to use pick 4 or 10 necessarily on a WR, but they had damn sure get a stud WR (at least 1) out of this draft.

My mind boggles at the incompetence that has resulted in the above record!

Borat, blackssmagic, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  19. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

A lot of the reasons for this stat is the QB and coaching the Jets have had since Parcells left.

It is a chicken and the egg scenario - do our QBs suck because we have no weapons or do our WR stats suck because we don’t have a competent QB?

KingRoach likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I would lean more towards us having no friggin clue how to find a wide receiver and historically not placing any value on the position. No coincidence we have been terrible for almost 15 years. when talented receivers like Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker came here they put up big numbers with Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback. I can’t recall many if any at all that were turds here and went on to play well elsewhere. Robby Anderson is the only thing close to the exception and he put up a massive dud this year

REVISion and ColoradoContrails like this.