Sam Darnold Warned Jets They Were 'Making a Mistake' in Panthers Trade

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by REVISion, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The advantages that a QB is given in their rookie year can follow them for the rest of their career because they don’t develop bad habits in their first shot under the big boy lights.

Hence why a lot of quarterbacks who have bad rookie years, have bad careers. It think we will start to see the leash tighten and teams will begin to make decisions sooner than when the first round draft picks head into their 5th year option year.

dmw likes this.
  2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Your opinions have been missed but I should've probably done the same. I'm a glutton for random internet arguments.

3. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Qbs have three years to prove themselves in today's NFL. You can be average and still not get your fifth-year option picked up. It just not worth paying an average Qb that much money. So you either go sign a Franchise QB if one becomes available, draft a guy or bring in a Jag that can run a talented roster (ALA Tannehill).

This is why I do not get all the hate for Zach. I think he will be successful but if he is not by year 3 the Jets will be looking for another QB. The only reason to hate on him is to say I told you so.

The Jets seem to be doing the right thing in getting him weapons and protecting him. It is now up to him to prove that he is worthy of his next contract.

NY Jets68, Brook!, PJ4Ever and 3 others like this.
  4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The coaches also did not do Zach any favors in the beginning of the season. They saw how he was tearing up our really bad defense and went back on their promise. Lafleur and Zach found out pretty quickly that 1. Zach was still a rookie 2. Our defense was really bad.

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Last year was funner because we were arguing more about who to draft - not who we've drafted.
    Nobody hates Zach. Some people are weary of all the sunny siding that he is a big talent when we're basically in the exact same scenario we were with Darnold's first years. I think were all a little fed up with, "well, lets wait and see if he is good next year".

6. REVISion

I don't think hate is the right word man. Personally, Wilson failing would make me look bad since I was strongly in favor of drafting him. I like Wilson and want him to succeed badly.

Because of that though I always try to make extra sure I'm not letting that bias of wanting him to succeed interfere with my ability to guess whether he actually will. He just didn't play well at all last year.

Definitely do agree with this though. LaFleur and Douglas did him a huge disservice early in the year. They asked him to do too much and JD should've been ashamed to let Wilson start his career with the gaping hole at RG that was GVR. The pressure and hits he took over those first few games absolutely had a negative impact on him the rest of the year.

BrooklynJetsFan, Brook!, Noam and 2 others like this.
  7. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Zach seems like the type of guy that learns from doing.

There are definitely reasons for both optimism and concern. It's going to take quite the turnaround for him to turn into the player most of us thought he could be coming out of BYU.

FWIW, I'm probably one of the biggest Zach Wilson supporters on this board. I think the kid is going to be great, but until he shows it on the field it's just blind optimism.

8. NYJFOREVER

Took a long break from the Jets and football sections of the board. Gets exhausting regurgitating the same talking points over and over to the same people.

cval likes this.
  9. NYJFOREVER

Do people not realize your PFP is Zach Wilson?

REVISion likes this.
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

"Come on, Joe! You guys are making a huge mistake. What? Do you want to start winning or something? Is that what this is about?"-Sam

cval likes this.
  11. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

I hope we don’t take a WR till the 4th and a RB in the 2nd; this board will be lit!

- I can’t think of a more fun scenario if you’re hoping for message board chaos for 5 months.

REVISion likes this.
  12. KingRoach

Go rewatch the last handful of games from last year.

Don’t look at the stats, rewatch the games.

Don’t look at highlights, watch the game (or the condensed game on nflTV).

You can’t say Zach didn’t play well at all last year.

13. REVISion

He played really well the Bucs game. That's the only truly good game top to bottom I can remember. Titans game was pretty good too.

PJ4Ever and KingRoach like this.
  14. KingRoach

After typing about it, i rewatched the game again. Up 3 with momentum the ball on the buccs 15. Ugh.

Zach looked good in that game.
    The OL looked good that game
    Our run game looked good that game
    Our WRs #4,5,6 looked good (enough) that game

Carter goes down and the run game shows. Fant goes down and the whole O shows. Berrios showed he was a starting caliber NFL WR

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  15. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Active Member

Hung with Buffalo for 3 quarters? Is that gonna be one of these if CJ Mosley didn’t get hurt in that Bills game type situations for Jets fans to hang their hats on? Jets didn’t hang with Buffalo for 3 quarters……the wind neutralized Buffalo’s offense for 2 quarters. With the wind Buffalo scored 24 points, against the wind
    3. On a calm day that game is easily a 34-10/34-13 type of game.

16. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You guys hung with KC....until you didn't. #crusheddreams

17. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am not sure your point. Is this another one of your troll posts?

With only a handful of starters playing there is no way the Jets should have been able to stay in the game against a division 3 college team, the fact they stayed in the game against one of the best teams in the league for 3 quarters with the team they fielded was truly remarkable. You can make excuses for the wind. At least against Tampa ZW had Berrios but against Buffalo he had no skill players. No Moore, no Davis, no Berrios, no Carter, No Kroft, McGovern injured, Fant injured, and so on. The OL could not run or pas block. All they had on offense was ZW, Jeff Smith and Kenny Yeboah against the NFL's best defense. The Jets defense wasn't in much better shape. To make matters worse Buffalo needed to win this game. How was this not a 30 point game at the half? Again my point that the Jets stayed in the game for 3 full quarters, while fielding a team of 4th string players, is truly remarkable. But, oh nevermind I guess it was the wind.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I wish you would just fuck off tbh.

The other one is just about manageable but you Sir, are a massive gobshite, that is always on the troll.

Noam and bicketybam like this.
  19. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

The biggest takeaway from the Buffalo game and the entire Jet season was not the wind as the above poster suggested but the value of the Jet sweep run by Berrios and Moore. The ability of the Jet offense to threaten the edge changed everything. It makes the DL slow and play us honestly, it makes our OL immeasurably better and it gives our young QB another half a second. We can see the effects when we do do not run the Jet sweep against Buffalo and the 1st 5 games of the season. The DL can pin their ears back and our OL can do nothing to stop a tidal wave of defenders. It does not matter if ZW is playing well, if MW is playing and who is injured as if we cannot threaten the edge this offense will not work. But when we have the Jet sweep working and we have Carter turning the corner suddenly everything changes. It will help to have 2 new TEs, it would help to have a dynamic threat at WR, it will help to have ZW make a jump and it will help to have everyone on offense playing intheir second year in the system but nothing will help this offense more than getting to the edge.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Maybe he should own what he writes.