Can the Jets TRUST Mekhi Becton in 2022?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by PennyandtheJets, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

That's what it sounds like. If he was even 375 they would be screaming it out loud for all to hear.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

When hes no longer playing he will balloon to like 500 lbs. Sad story, I really had high hopes for Becton. This is his nutritionist, just last week saying "we got him into the 300s" with an acknowledgment that it was hard to do so.

If someone is 330 or 340 (where Becton really should be), the nutritionist says that figure and talks it up. Hell every nutritionist in the world would love to say they helped their client lose 70lbs of fat. But when he's not 330, he's "in the 300s" and it was "hard" to get him there, well, you know he's a lot closer to 400 than he is to 300

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Get ready to welcome our new starting T to the team on draft night.

Borat, Cman68, cval and 3 others like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's possible

5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

I would not mind drafting a tackle at 4 and then trading Becton later in the draft…probably wouldn’t bring much back, but at this point with his nagging injuries in his first year, then missing an entire season for an injury that would have cost most players only half a season, and then not being is shape STILL…i’m over it.

no way do I trust him to (a) come back in shape and (b) last the whole year. It is what it is. Another wasted draft pick from JDs first draft for a different coach with a different scheme.

I’d be perfectly fine coming out of round 1 with two of the following three positions: edge, WR, OT. I don’t think JD takes a CB in the first round…not in his or Saleh’s MO, which is why I chuckle at all the espn draft “gurus” having us take Sauce….I just don’t see it

6. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I think Becton is still highly regarded and would get a decent return - maybe a 2nd

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I still want to keep him in case he turns things around, but I now hope JD drafts a potential right tackle in the second round. Fant did well at the LT spot so I'm happy to keep him there. If someone offers a decent pick for Becton I would not be angry to see him go.

Why the hell can't the guy just eat less?

8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Big Ticket? More like Big Mac.

Borat, REVISion, cval and 1 other person like this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I believe it has to do with him being a young man and still being immature. When you see his battles on Twitter it reveals he is not emotionally mature yet.

When you can’t control yourself enough to the point of arguing with strangers on social media it’s reveals a lot about said individual.

He will get there one day where he will be able to ignore it, hopefully sooner than later so he can get back to focusing on his career.

REVISion and ukjetsfan like this.
  10. Red Menace

It could be any combination of selection, OT at 4 and DE at 10, that’s why I don’t want jets to trade back.

They can grab Burks in middle of first round by trading pick 35 and 111, and still can keep pick 38 and come out with 4 blue chip players.

Rockinz likes this.
  11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Very possible

12. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If we come out of this with 2 starters in the trenches and Burks! JD hit a home run

13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Not to beat a dead horse but it's pretty alarming just how far Becton is from an optimal playing weight. He legitimately should lose 60-70 lbs.

330-340 is where he should be. I'm pretty confident he'd be better at that weight than he was at 370. 340 is more than big enough to almost never get overpowered, he'd still probably be the 2nd heaviest OT in the league at 340.

Mekhi's not an especially strong guy for his weight either if his combine bench numbers are any indication. Anyone who's near 400 is going to be pretty damn strong, but he needs to up the lifting and lower the eating hugely to be the most effective player possible.

14. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i think there is some over-reacting, which is expected and also what fans are good at it.

yes he was over 400; yes he got to under 400 (but without the full ability to exercise)

the proof will come soon enough and since he's on notice (as others have mentioned) how he comes in will tell us a lot

I am pulling for him. I'm also wondering if we can trade him for Zion WIlliamson

15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The kid obviously has an eating disorder. He would not be the first big man to eat himself out of the NFL. I am rooting for him to get it under control.

Borat, REVISion and chandler like this.
  16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think the opposite of this is true. I'm constantly surprised by how many of our fans seem to think there's zero cause for concern with Mekhi, and that he's a future perennial pro bowler.

Jets fans have shown a consistent habit of turning a blind eye to mounting evidence of red flags with players before it finally becomes so obvious they have no choice but to admit it. Darnold, Mims, and Becton to name a few.

Borat and Red Menace like this.
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Because this is a fan forum and we want players on our team to be good. We will give talented players the benefit of the doubt.

What I do not understand is when they leave we praise them over our current players

Red Menace likes this.
  18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Becton is still to big but its not like camp starts next week. The guy still has a couple of months.

cval likes this.
  19. Red Menace

In fairness to Becton he was excellent in Gase offensive scheme, suited him better.

Even if he gets healthy I’m not sure if he is a good fit for this current offensive scheme.

Rockinz likes this.
  20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How big is he?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.